DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Tales From the Underground - 8/3/2020

Dolfan in NYC

And with Underground I can easily see the pitch. “Hey, if the rest of the world is doing these bombastic cinematic matches during all this, let’s take a left turn and go with something grimey and realistic” is certainly a pitch I can see Shane making and it isn’t a bad concept. As others have mentioned, having a pocket setting inside of the show opens up some interesting storytelling ideas.

Its just so damn overproduced. Everything is, same old story. I can easily see Shane and whoever else come up with this saying NO NOT LIKE THAT after seeing how their creation was filmed. 

3 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

The whole Underground thing doesn't annoy me so much with it being dumb. What annoys me is they could have announced this like two or three weeks ago and made something of it. Shane is hosting a fight thing. Who wants to sign up. Like The Viking Raiders aren't really doing anything. So it was nice to see Erik in there. But this reeks of we literally came up with this today which is amazing since these shows are taped. Just imagine how much more rushed it would be if they were doing live shows in front of people. 

Dude...they DID just come up with it the day of.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

One thing I find interesting is we've seen just here then he accussed of ripping off Riddle/Barnett's Bloodsport, Chikara's The Crucible, and WCW's The Block.

That's exactly what I thought of. I gave up on the Jazz game around the third period and switched over to see Dolph working the worst MMA style stuntman brawl ever. 

I hope it leads to some sort of WCW Backstage Assault parody.

The WWE obsessives on the social medias saying "You're never satisfied! You said you wanted something new and different, and now you get something new and different and you don't like it!". Well the thing is, it's not new. It's not different. And we didn't specifically ask for something "New and Different", we asked for something Good. And didn't get it.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, AxB said:

The WWE obsessives on the social medias saying "You're never satisfied! You said you wanted something new and different, and now you get something new and different and you don't like it!". Well the thing is, it's not new. It's not different. And we didn't specifically ask for something "New and Different", we asked for something Good. And didn't get it.

Here's a fucking concept that's both new and different for WWE, just announce what matches we can expect to see over three fucking hours next week. And then when that week comes, announce the matches for the week after that.

Let's not even stop there. Know what also would be different and good? Sticking to a fucking hard camera and not jumping to a million quick cuts. There's a Reddit post about one of the Underground segments from last night. In something like a 2:30 minute segment, there were over 70 camera cuts. That doesn't even take all of the zooming into account.

When someone gets taken out, not everything needs to be Dusty getting his leg broken or having a spike shoved in his eye. There's better ways of handling taking out someone like Montez Ford, someone they should be looking at to take this company into the future. Poisoning him ain't it.

When do we get to Vince discovering the Office or Parks and Rec, or are those two series too liberal and funny for him? I'm not the first person to suggest it, but film Raw, and just Raw, like it's an episode of the Office or Parks and Rec where you basically have a camera documentary crew there capturing all of the shit backstage, wrestlers or talent talk to the camera, shit gets picked up in the background, and then cut to the planned matches. TNA used to do something like this years ago and it was actually one of the few and better, non-loltna things they ever did.

And finally, just let the fucking wrestlers speak for themselves. If someone can't cut a promo, COACH THEM ON IT. Isn't that why they have the fucking promo class in developmental?

All of these things are new, different, and potentially good. They're wrestling ideas that aren't "let's just go back to the shit we did in the 90s" because they're not even going back to the shit that worked. I'm sure in Bruce's mind it works and he'll twist himself into a pretzel trying to defend that it's stuff that was good because he produced it back in the day, but it's bad. Worse, it's killing the company.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, DouglasC said:

The Moe 'No Funeral' image would be more accurate.

Moe reading Little Women would have been a better use of time.

maxresdefault.jpg

10 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I missed the Antifa thing, who was in it? And how pissed off am I gonna be that they're trivializing it in the first place? 

Whoever snuck the Megadeth logo onto Ruby's jacket needs to be fired, btw. A bunch of punk logos, a Batcave logo, and Dave Mustaine's dumb ass do not jive. 

Are you sure it wasn't Dolph's favorite band "Megadeath".

Things to save Underground:

Dio Madden vs. Erik in a LARP match

Double J MMA

Zeus appears next week

A cross over with Edge where they do the plot to "Money Plane" just so guys can bet on a guy trying to fuck an alligator.

Also I hope Zelina's Legion of Latino Sexy does something lik ethis for their tron:

7nkMQ0BXi7wr.jpg

• Haha 1

The ideas weren't horrible on their own because if you told me "RAW is going to have a new setting that exists outside of the PC" or "someone is going to spike Tez's cup" I would have said okay let's see where this goes.  The biggest problem in WWE other than creative is always going to be Kevin Dunn.  

I know they can produce things and make them look good..  who was in charge of the Boneyard Match?  Jeremy Borash? There wasn't a million cuts,  it wasn't overproduced,  it actually looked like film making kinda instead of amateur hour..   

I think The Hurt Business showing up in their suits and killing dudes was pretty cool but the cuts were garbage and if they are going to continue then MVP needs to be the lead and Shane needs to go away. 

6 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The ideas weren't horrible on their own because if you told me "RAW is going to have a new setting that exists outside of the PC" or "someone is going to spike Tez's cup" I would have said okay let's see where this goes.  The biggest problem in WWE other than creative is always going to be Kevin Dunn.  

I know they can produce things and make them look good..  who was in charge of the Boneyard Match?  Jeremy Borash? There wasn't a million cuts,  it wasn't overproduced,  it actually looked like film making kinda instead of amateur hour..   

I think The Hurt Business showing up in their suits and killing dudes was pretty cool but the cuts were garbage and if they are going to continue then MVP needs to be the lead and Shane needs to go away. 

Jeremy Borash and Trips. The Vineyard match was well received critically, deserved to be. I did say less is more and expected WWE to overuse it.

EDIT: Keeping that autocorrect in.

Edited by The Natural

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Agree with all of this. I think the idea of Raw Underground isn't bad but it got produced to death and a change of venue isn't going to solve the root issues with the show. I was even getting into the idea until one of the Viking Raiders threw a bunch of terrible punches and used his exact same worn out spots as he does in the ring and it was cut identically so the only real change was the a Viking Raider wasn't that Viking anymore and I had to listen to Shane McMahon. Maybe they can work it into something usable but this was not the thing they need.