DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Tales From the Underground - 8/3/2020

Dolfan in NYC

I was crying at the fact that RAW Underground was about an hour in its existence and they already ran a takeover angle.  But I'm way more interested in The Hurt Business than anything to do with Shane McMahon.  

If they want to do some Bloodsport type shit I think it needs to be a little more violent looking,  we're gonna need broken bones and blood on the canvas. 

6 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I missed the Antifa thing, who was in it? And how pissed off am I gonna be that they're trivializing it in the first place? 

Whoever snuck the Megadeth logo onto Ruby's jacket needs to be fired, btw. A bunch of punk logos, a Batcave logo, and Dave Mustaine's dumb ass do not jive. 

So through the first and second hours they kept having technical difficulties. Tom Phillips would use the Owen Hart voice to say he didn't know what was happening. Then he said it was due to the weather in the area.

At some point, I forget when now, probably near the end of the second hour?, they show security footage of 5 people all dressed in black with black hoods on. They're outside the building and throwing molotov cocktails or firebombs or something at the WWE PC's generators. All 5 people are screaming to take em out and whatever. It was very reminiscent of the way some people have described the protestors.

11 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I missed the Antifa thing, who was in it? And how pissed off am I gonna be that they're trivializing it in the first place?

You didn't miss anything. "Security camera" footage showed a brief clip of some masked people throwing "molotov cocktails" at some piece of equipment before running away. The show had lots of audio and visual glitches and this is how it was explained.

Edited by The Green Meanie

2 hours ago, nofuture said:

Raw Underground seems more like a story-line setting than an actual thing.  I don't think it's meant to have competitive fights, just somewhere story-lines can take place rather than just "backstage".  In theory, not a bad idea to try something different with the crowds gone, but I don't exactly trust Raw's writing staff/Vince.

This will be a setting in the video games right? That's pretty much all I care about.. 

Oh, also, the security footage was from earlier in the day, but all of the technical issues they were having were, you know, at night.

I guess that's the kind of thought that goes into this bullshit when you're writing everything at the last minute.

• Like 1

LOL WWE trademarked the name "Justus." I assume that will be the name for this bullshit Antifa group.

Like, I don't get it. I don't fucking get it. How could WWE turn into this? It seriously bums me out.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Oh, also, the security footage was from earlier in the day, but all of the technical issues they were having were, you know, at night.

During the Underground part where Team Smackdown 2007 was attacking the audience, you can see someone getting tossed outside a door and it's broad daylight outside.

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

Again the gimmick is fine. Seth is just shit at pulling it off.

His look for it is good..  the whiny voice is not.  

Damn I loved a lot about this week's show but I can't say it was a 'good' show.  I think it's just that the performers are so good it masks some of the smell. That Drew McIntyre and Randy Orton promo exchange was really good.. 

The Kevin Owens and Ric Flair backstage segment was even better than that...   Great stuff.   But a lot of it is lost because of dumb booking and crap. 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, The Green Meanie said:

During the Underground part where Team Smackdown 2007 was attacking the audience, you can see someone getting tossed outside a door and it's broad daylight outside.

lol what? My god, this didn't even register with me. Did they have the "Live" thing in the corner of the screen still?

I don't know how you people do it.

A friend of mine was watching this episode and starting texting me about it, so I checked it out. I left feeling hurt by it. Hurt by the idea that a sixty-something year old company, should-be ratings juggernaut and supposed standard-bearer of one of the world's greatest forms of performance art can confidently air these kinds of tone-deaf three hour blocks of deeply flawed narrative and continue to get away with it. With a roster full of virtuosos, a table full of carefully-picked writers, and a budget greater than any company has every known, they continue to produce lackluster/noluster weekly television like their isn't anything wrong with it and that nobody is ashamed of it. That BLOWS MY MIND. and maybe even BREAKS MY HEART? How many months, in your lifetime as a fan, was the WWF/E good? This goes beyond the 20+ seasons of bad Simpsons. Those seasons don't drag down every other broadcast cartoon with it. Episodes like this week's RAW hurt every wrestler in the world every time they air. Airing shit like this keeps making people who like pro wrestling less likely to state that fact in public. Your lifetime passion is an embarassing thing to care about. This is one of the reasons why.

Apollo Crews can work, btw. I like seeing Ruby on TV. Asuka, Bianca and Andrade exist. MVP looks something like rejuvenated. Kevin is something close to a generational talent. The script and booking are a 1% alive family dog who's tail is being fed into a a deli-meat slicer set to 1mm thick, sliced at a rate that the tail will be reduced to nothing but a pile of blood and gristle in exactly three hours. All around the dog are barely-functioning CRT televisions playing different scenes from The Killing Fields. A man is smiling in the corner. You cannot find out where this dog is. You cannot stop it. I feel this way most of the time when I check in on RAW.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

So Raw in 2020 has managed to take the Raw opening from 1997, and make it less cool.

If that's a Kevin Dunne creation, it is easily the best contribution to professional wrestling he will ever make. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Now that Maffew Botchamania made the "Flair = living dinosaur" joke I cannot unsee it. He has literally turned into a reptile. 

I haven't seen it and now that visual won't leave like a earworm lol.

• Like 1

The whole Underground thing doesn't annoy me so much with it being dumb. What annoys me is they could have announced this like two or three weeks ago and made something of it. Shane is hosting a fight thing. Who wants to sign up. Like The Viking Raiders aren't really doing anything. So it was nice to see Erik in there. But this reeks of we literally came up with this today which is amazing since these shows are taped. Just imagine how much more rushed it would be if they were doing live shows in front of people. 

That said it's bullshit you do some fighting thing and Shayna isn't part of it. Also how long until Josh Barnett sues them for ripping off his Bloodsport shows.

• Like 1