DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Tales From the Underground - 8/3/2020

Dolfan in NYC

7 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

I’m also not buying what I saw tonight of Murphy as a disciple. Of course that could easily be on Seth being impossible to buy as a guy inspiring a cult-like devotion. 

Poor Buddy.  Having to be the lackey to a guy who he is better than in basically every way possible.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, nofuture said:

Raw Underground seems more like a story-line setting than an actual thing.  I don't think it's meant to have competitive fights, just somewhere story-lines can take place rather than just "backstage".  In theory, not a bad idea to try something different with the crowds gone, but I don't exactly trust Raw's writing staff/Vince.

Good points made here. There are things that need to be improved upon, like the overdose of camera cuts. But the concept of another world within RAW that's loosely connected to the regular show while doing live-action backstage segments has potential. The million-dollar question is whether Vince will stick with it long enough to give it an actual chance. If they embrace the absurdity of it, it can work. Big if, though.

• Like 2

I support anything that gets Shane O Mac back on TV. I hoped the third hour would be dedicated to just Raw Underground, the Warzone style. Hope they let fights play out a bit more in the future and this was just establishing some of the fighters. First time watching a full episode in awhile. Rest of the show is still filled with a lot of people I can't stand. Orton/Drew feels big time, looking forward to that. Dominik the asskicker looked great. Hated the Hurt Business continuing to job out, but glad they got heat back in the end. 

• Like 1

Just now, Eivion said:

So there was nothing on this show you liked?

Fucking no, almost. Everything was sterile, boring, and the same old shit it's always been. Literally nothing was entertaining or made 3 hours feel less like 9 hours. I gave tonight a shot because of the rumors going around about whatever tonight was going to be. Here's what we got:

• A meh match between MVP and Crews
  • Shenanigans with the lights, which I'll get to later
  • Tom Phillips using his Owen Hart voice because of the technical difficulties
  • A boring talk show segment with KO to bring Ruby and Liv back together
  • The same dull talking back and forth shit we've seen for years between the champion and challenge where neither person is speaking for themselves
  • Nia beat up some dude
  • Dumb 24/7 shit
  • Making a terrible call to play off of people fucking dying out there or getting seriously injured by standing up to tyranny by running their own rioting angle
  • ANOTHER SHIT FINISH TO A MATCH, this time with Sasha and Shayna
  • Brawl for All 2.0
  • Ford got poisoned, hilarious
  • The same Seth segment they've been doing for however long now
  • More brawl for all 2.0 with the worst fake MMA I've ever seen

About the only positives I have are the IIconics, Dominic bringing a lot of fire, and how awesome MVP, Shelton, and Lashley looked in suits. That seriously looked like some NJPW shit with top guys in suits looking badass. Aside from that, this show is a huge slog. It's bloated, the matches are OK at best, the finishes are terrible, and they've reintroduced shoot fighting, but fake this time, to make the wrestlers look tougher?

This is their answer to getting more viewers. This. Rusev is right. They talk about needing to build new talent and their answer is keeping everyone on the same treadmill, bringing back Shane, and bringing back Brawl for All. And the dude behind all of this fucking garbage is likely Vince and Bruce because they can't fucking escape the past.

Dude, I get you like this program. I get a few others like this program. It's fine. For me, this was fucking awful. It's not good wrestling, it's not good sports entertainment, and it's not even a remotely good TV show.

• Like 4

Soooooo is Shane okay with Team Smackdown 2007 just taking his show like that? Seemed like he did.
I also liked the fact that most people said Shane's idea to save Raw is to have a midlife crisis/bachelor party.

The interesting thing about tonight's show was hearing about all the random tidbits and trying to put the puzzle together based on what we knew. The prevailing idea I had seen online was that Shane was going to lead a new faction to come in and mess stuff up, and it was going to be somewhat political. Boy, that's not at all what we got!

So now we've got Shane doing whatever that was supposed to be, masked dudes that aren't ninjas that are armed with molotov cocktails that burned....a piece of equipment for....some reason.....the still unrevealed faction which we know the name but nothing else about, poison that somehow only works when one shakes the ropes, people not in matches getting DQ'd for attacking someone else not in same said match, and creepy Tom Phillips.

Edited by The Green Meanie
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Dude, I get you like this program. I get a few others like this program. It's fine. For me, this was fucking awful. It's not good wrestling, it's not good sports entertainment, and it's not even a remotely good TV show.

Its fine if you disliked it. I just thought maybe you were being a bit much with hyperbole, but its seems like you seriously disliked damn near everything so its fine.

I missed the Antifa thing, who was in it? And how pissed off am I gonna be that they're trivializing it in the first place? 

Whoever snuck the Megadeth logo onto Ruby's jacket needs to be fired, btw. A bunch of punk logos, a Batcave logo, and Dave Mustaine's dumb ass do not jive. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1