DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUG 2020

Conti and Jay looked like a pair that could build some chemistry if they were given some time. Might as well fold Conti into the Dark Order because that group can’t get any worse. Whoever put that match together is a charlatan and a fake though. Who decides to build heat on Nyla Rose of all people? Rose and the former Cameron played de facto face and I think they were about as sympathetic as my tool shed. They aren’t the team to build up your heels on. 
Brandi and Allie are a terrible team and Brandi’s pointy stick finisher is just the worst. This seemed like a waste of Penelope Ford and Mel... no one cares about Mel.

I can't really disagree that Brandi and Allie are not particularly good. They are absolutely going to be in the final, though. Brandi's offense honestly looks about as threatening as a non-wrestling Diva era wrestler.

I kinda like Mel but I've been watching a ton of joshi here lately where you get to see powerhouse women's wrestlers booked to look good, AEW doesn't seem to have much interest in it for anyone but Nyla right now.

I've always thought Mel had a lot of potential so I liked seeing her get used at least. Thought Ariane looked very good, better than may be expected, and Nyla's selling was solid. Tay & Anna Jay looked kind of perfect as a team so I'm looking forward to seeing more of them together. Conti is another one that always had loads of potential but never got to do much. Finish looked great. I hope it's not a one shot deal for Ariane. Brandi suddenly leaning back heelish in the end was pretty random. 

Edited by DreamBroken

3 hours ago, Goodear said:

This seemed like a waste of Penelope Ford and Mel... no one cares about Mel.

Which is a shame cause I actually like her and like her look.

Was surprised that Nyla lost this early, but she doesn't need this tournament so maybe it's not such a bad idea. Tay & Anna acted like they've had some history before, not sure if that was intentional. I'm interested to see who else will be in this.

• Like 1

Ey yo, did Conti kick Nyla in the fucking jaw/cheek really hard in their match? That made such a flush, solid sound of impact and I watched it 3 or 4 times to make sure I wasn't hallucinating. Holy shit. ?

• Like 1

Brandi may be the thing I like the least about AEW. And it's just the in ring stuff. I'm sure backstage she does a fine job, but man, stop trying to make Brandi work.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, MrKothoga said:

So, Brandi changed her gimmick once again and is now the cocky superstar authority figure. She braggs about beeing the first women to have an action figure while also aknowledging that she is the chief brand officer. First impression... just another misfire of her finding an on-screen character.

What was weirder was earlier in the night when Allie cheated on the Draw Brandi was super Babyface. So this complete change was after a win against a team who never tagged before. 

5 hours ago, Jiji said:

Ey yo, did Conti kick Nyla in the fucking jaw/cheek really hard in their match? That made such a flush, solid sound of impact and I watched it 3 or 4 times to make sure I wasn't hallucinating. Holy shit. ?

I was wondering if Conti shoot hurt Nyla knee as well on that move on the ropes.  Not only was she limping badly the whole match after she was limping badly on the beat down

Veda was a nice surprise as was Madusa’s appearance. I thought Tay looked far better here than she ever did in NXT. She and Jay made a decent unit. Ariane had some good character moments but you could definitely tell she hadn’t wrestled in years. I liked the end portion with Tay helping her up but I’m sure that won’t lead to anything. 

I have always liked Allie so it’s sad to see her stuck in this position. Brandi seems like a nice enough person but I haven’t been able to connect with any of the 1,000 characters she has played so far. And count me in as one who doesn’t mind Mel. She’s got a decent look and a fine, if standard, move set. They should be booking her as the woman that killed Kong and not whatever it is they’re doing. 

• Like 1

Brandi's character direction is such a mess, which is weird when damn near everyone else in AEW has had a pretty tight direction. She's Cody's valet, then she inexplicably is leading a cult, she quickly ditches that via YouTube videos, then she's back to sticking with Cody and Dustin, she distrusts Allie, and now she's back to being a heel again and distrusting Allie has been dropped? I don't know, but it's frustrating to watch. It makes me think that TK, Cody, and Kenny probably have no say in whatever Brandi decides to do. That's just me making inferences so I'm probably wrong.

• Like 1

What gets me is while what Brandi's on seems nonsensical there was enough to at least connect the dots.  I can see that when she got taken out it made her mind go weird and form a cult (good ol' pro rasslin' logic)  The Youtube videos established that and apparently helped her come back to her senses.  And the stuff with Allie made sense in that QT's girlfriend wants to be featured and what better than teaming with somebody else in the Nightmare Family.  And we're seeing how that's playing out.

I say all that because while they've been able to connect the dots when things seemed illogical Brandi's promo is the first time where even I'm going "Wait, what the fuck?"  I'm hoping they find a way to retroactively make sense but to flip a switch in the promo alone and not even during the match is baffling.

That said the episode was fun.  Arianne seemed motivated and it shows that she's been training.  I don't know what will happen with her but I'm glad that she had that chance to redeem herself.  As for Anna and Tay I love them as a team and hope they stay together.  Tay especially looked impressive.

• Like 1

I didn't think i needed to see Night 1 of the Deadly Draw, but checked it out from the chit chat on here.  I sorta skimmed some things, but overall enjoyed what I saw.  I love the idea of the Women's Division getting its own show.  Especially if it's for YouTube.  These gals really need the reps.

I thought Nyla Rose kinda stood out for her selling in match 2.  Tho, as mentioned above, I hope she didn't get injured legit there.  Ariane Andrew has really good charisma.  I really hope ring time serves her well.  From that match, she performed one of the weakest DDT's I've ever seen.  And the split legged bullshit, that Sonny Kiss also performs, ought to be banned for being incredibly weak.  Tay Conti also stood out.  She looked really good.  I'd never seen her before.  Jay, despite her shade of green, also continues to impress.  

Mel may have topped Andrew's DDT with that 'wrestlecrap' back and forth (a foot away from the) mat burn on Brandi.  But Mel looked a bit better than I remember.  As mentioned, she could really benefit from being booked like a powerhouse.  Ford and Allie were alright in there.  

The Brandi flip flopping didn't bother me so much.  I mean she's got a long way to go to be at an acceptable level in-ring, but I couldn't really care less if the Nightmare Sisters are heel or face.  Let her be the cocky heel.  Whatever.  I mean, I'd much prefer she was a valet - something she's actually really terrific at.  She's a good promo.  I'm not sure the in ring dream can be met, but best of luck! 

Anyway, really liked seeing them focus a show on the ladies, and it helps not having them juxtaposed with the better workers of the men's side.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

And the split legged bullshit, that Sonny Kiss also performs, ought to be banned for being incredibly weak. 

It's a Legdrop. Christy Hemme was the first to do it, and she passed it on the Rebel. But being able to do a standing vertical split and dropping into a legdrop is athletically difficult. I prefer Candy Lee's version:

I'm sure others noticed it, but I loved Brian Pillman, Jr. doing the Hollywood Blondes camera roll against FTR. Griff Garrison even got into the act, doing it on the apron. FTR's nod to the Quebecers with the Boston crab/leg drop combo was also very nice.

I'm also glad to see TH2 back and a win for Jack Evans. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 3

Taz and Schiavone were cracking each other up pretty badly, more or less throughout. It's as if Taz really likes that he has his own Botchamania segment, and is trying to make it at least ten minutes long every time.

Priscilla Kelly out here subtweeting about someone, and most are linking it to Darby Allin. FWIW she’s not following him on Twitter anymore. But also FWIW, she says she’s just talking in generalizations. I really hope they aren’t split, MJF ending it with Allie Kat a few years ago probably put a bookend on her ever appearing in AEW, I’d hate to see it happen to Priscilla as well.

FTR all the way to #1 in their first week in the tag rankings.

I feel like Brodie or Colt is going to get a fall on one of the champs in the 12-man tag tonight to set up a Brodie/Colt title match before All Out, though.

That is unfortunate about Priscilla if that is indeed what she's talking about. Darby comes off a hella dickhead and the accusations certainly seem believable. At the same time, my best friend trained and worked with him a lot and puts him over as a bit strange but super nice and often selfless. People can be both things to different people I suppose. 

Anyway. This tweet is some wwe worded bullshit. Brandi should be less obtuse in her marketing bullshit. 

Dynamic membership platform. Is that a cult? A pyramid scheme?