DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUG 2020

AEW does shit a whole lot differently than most other promotions and they have the leverage to do it, so I would think they'll keep Cody off of TV for at least a month or so. Having him return so soon after that kind of a beating seems off brand for AEW.

Damn it, man. The best part of that shit was the wheelchair collapsing and the wheel spinning forever and ever.

I'd be a little surprised if Cody missed a PPV if they only do four but that's fine with me. Maybe he can have that tattoo removed and I can be a fan of his again, maybe.

Hopefully they swipe the throne idea from Lucha Underground for Brodie. He's not Mil Muertes but it'd still be a cool visual as part of his celebration. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Damn it, man. The best part of that shit was the wheelchair collapsing and the wheel spinning forever and ever.

I'd be a little surprised if Cody missed a PPV if they only do four but that's fine with me. Maybe he can have that tattoo removed and I can be a fan of his again, maybe.

Hopefully they swipe the throne idea from Lucha Underground for Brodie. He's not Mil Muertes but it'd still be a cool visual as part of his celebration. 

Well with that Chili's $ The Dark Order could create a Throne made of Baby Back Ribs Bones. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

NBA games postponed tonight, and who knows about the future, so that could potentially affect more upcoming dynamites that were expected to be ok. Not complaining whatsoever, just putting it out there. The schedule is now in limbo again. 

20 minutes ago, matt925 said:

NBA games postponed tonight, and who knows about the future, so that could potentially affect more upcoming dynamites that were expected to be ok. Not complaining whatsoever, just putting it out there. The schedule is now in limbo again. 

Re: this

Later tonight (the NBA and the NBPA deciding on how to proceed with any further protests) could determine if Dynamite is on tomorrow.

8 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

BTW with the show being live tomorrow IIRC, it pretty much decided it couldn't be shown tonight.

Also, even if they could, I don't think they're going to want to capitalize on NBA protesting the FUCKING. BULLSHIT. in Kenosha.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Re: this

Later tonight (the NBA and the NBPA deciding on how to proceed with any further protests) could determine if Dynamite is on tomorrow.

Tomorrow's games are scheduled to be on ESPN (if they happen) so I don't think anything should affect tomorrow's show.

And depending on how the NBA players decide to act moving forward, Dynamite might be affected. TNT and ESPN broadcast games on alternate days so at worst we may a few schedule conflicts. 

Just now, Infinit said:

Tomorrow's games are scheduled to be on ESPN (if they happen) so I don't think anything should affect tomorrow's show.

Well, if they decided to put the games that were suppose to happen on TNT tonight on Thursday...that would obviously affect Dynamite. This goes especially if the teams that were going to protest tomorrow already decided not to play. 

Anyway, this could go all for naught and the rest of playoffs could be effectively postponed.

With all this being said...(even though I never called them this) seeing as AEW is the "woke" promotion, how do they even go forward with a pro wrestling taping? Wrestling seems a bit trivial right now say the least.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

With all this being said...(even though I never called them this) seeing as AEW is the "woke" promotion, how do they even go forward with a pro wrestling taping? Wrestling seems a bit trivial right now say the least.

I think AEW's fans kinda understand the show has to go on.   Odds are AEW gets shown as scheduled, though I think some sort of messaging during the show is likely.

• Like 2

Does anybody have info on this Frank Stone character?  I thought he looked fierce in the Dark tag match against the Gunns.  I'm not sure why I even watched the match, but from seeing it I'm starting to think Austin Gunn has potential to be a good young heel. 

Kilynn King also looked good again.  They need to get her on a winning streak and move her up the ranks.  She's looked really solid and leagues better than most of the ladies they're wheeling out for the cameras.  

Did anybody catch Janela's convuluted double team spot on Evans/Angelico (who looks a ton better after dropping the long sleeves rashguard)?  He set up Angelico and Evans into a DDT position on each other and came off with a reverse sling blade(?) on Angelico which completed the DDT on Evans.  Pure garbage.  The match itself was alright, but that spot was such a classic indieriffic shitstain. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

This week's Dark was 2 hours long! They need that second TV show as soon as it makes sense to pull the trigger.

Best Friends looked great getting all serious in their match. The double snap piledriver finish was sick too. I appreciate that they can use Dark to push small character changes like that.

I think Spears is... improving? Still too many gimmicks but the glove and Tully are good steps in the right direction.

I think Red Velvet has something. The gimmick needs some fine tuning but it's good enough for getting squashed on YouTube every week.

I'm big into Lance Archer right now. It's a great presentation with Jake as the harried manager who can barely control his client but know's he's his meal ticket. Archer wrecking dudes is fantastic, I hope he can get into something more substantial soon. I'd be into him as the next challenger for the world title regardless of who wins at All Out but he really should win his next major program. 

Luther and Serpentico is such a silly team, the Initiative are having their own little angle. Totally fine!

Vicious Vixens might be one of those "should've Googled the term first" names.

I don't really care about the Gunns either way. Austin's arm drag neckbreaker is pretty lame and Billy fully narrating his own actions was weird. The rookies seemed decent though, especially as Harry said Frank Stone.

Heather Monroe is a welcome addition to AEW. Her and Ford had a nice match. Penelope improves all the time, sometimes by subtraction as she's taken that terrible stunner out of her repertoire. Monroe has big potential. In fact, the women's division in general has a lot of upside and with these ladies around it'll be great in a few years. Too bad they need more women who are ready right now.

The Metro Brothers/Santana and Ortiz was a really good squash and Best Friends jumping them afterwards makes sense. Not the stiffest brawl.

Ricky Starks! Giving WAY too much to the Captain. He should have totaled that guy.

Hager/Stunt was exactly what it should have been. 

Interesting that both Kazarian and Scorpio Sky are going singles but I suppose SCU is indeed getting phased out. I hope Franky can get some solo stuff going in such a crowded field.

Kiss and Janella/TH2 was a mess. I love Jack Evans' roll up.

Good episode! I liked Veda with Taz and Tony, they had a number of fun exchanges.

Edited by Godfrey
  • Like 3

The Lance Archer squash was great. Veda put over Archer strong when she "oh no"d the jobber kicking out at one point. Luther/Serpentico vs The Initiative was actually good TV wrestling. Hager/Stunt was fine for what it was. The main event was kind of fun but it was all over the place. The finish seemed kind of fucked, like they missed whatever the setup for the roll up was supposed to be, even though the roll up itself looked really cool.

In terms of giving too much to the Captain, I think he's the Shota of their "rookies", aka the guy they think has the most potential.  he should be getting a bit more than most of the jobbers, except vs someone like Archer- who is the most fun squasher in wrestling today.

Lance Archer squashing dudes for 5 minutes every week is must-see TV. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I like Archer but is he still using that reverse Razor's Edge/Iconoclasm thing as his finish?  Because that shit is more unrealistic than the Canadian Destroyer if the recipient is older than a toddler.

I haven't been watching Dark but pretty sure he's mostly using the EBD (which sounds like he needs dick pills tbh) Claw thing that is part submission part slam a skull against the mat a bunch/pin.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Godfrey said:

I think Red Velvet has something. The gimmick needs some fine tuning but it's good enough for getting squashed on YouTube every week.

Heather Monroe is a welcome addition to AEW. Her and Ford had a nice match. Penelope improves all the time, sometimes by subtraction as she's taken that terrible stunner out of her repertoire. Monroe has big potential. In fact, the women's division in general has a lot of upside and with these ladies around it'll be great in a few years. Too bad they need more women who are ready right now.

Interesting that both Kazarian and Scorpio Sky are going singles but I suppose SCU is indeed getting phased out. I hope Franky can get some solo stuff going in such a crowded field.

I'm dying for an SCU heel turn.  I like them as a unit.  Seems kinda lame to split up the first tag champions without reason.   I wanna see a heel turn and Daniels tag with Kazarian.  While also playing the managerial role for Scorpio Sky.  I don't see Kazarian getting anywhere as a singles.  I skimmed that match, but just couldn't get into it.  Frankie and Sabian are solid workers, but have no character or reason right now.  'Superbad' is a completely inappropriate moniker for Sabian, and the clowning heel schtick was old before it started.  That said, he's young and has potential.

I didn't watch that Ford match, but I like the idea of her subtracting some of her weak shit.  The cliched flips across the ring into a splash or clothesline shit needs to go too. 

I'm not sure if I'm overselling Kilynn King or you're underselling her (assuming that's who you're referring to as Red Velvet?) .  To me she's looked really solid.  And a lot better than Ford, Swole, Diamante, Allie, Anna Jay, Brandi, Bates, Mel, and the Doctor.  Perhaps AEW could settle this by having her do a 10 minute match with Shida.  The same goes for Swole's sister and Ivelisse.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1