DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUG 2020

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

LOOOOL who was arguing with me earlier this week about NXT going on USA on Wednesdays having absolutely nothing to do with trying to fuck over AEW?

Because now NXT is going to air on SyFy instead of being preempted because they’re afraid of what AEW unopposed Wednesday numbers will look like.  Oh lord this sad, petty company.

Wow...really? I thought they had branded this week's show as "Super Tuesday"

• Like 1

From 411:

Meltzer stated, “I asked somebody there, and it’s like, ‘We can’t let them go unopposed because what if?’ What if? You know what I mean?” Meltzer speculated that there is a feeling within WWE that if AEW’s numbers without competition from NXT head-to-head were too big, people will look at the product a different way.

• Thanks 3

23 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

From 411:

Meltzer stated, “I asked somebody there, and it’s like, ‘We can’t let them go unopposed because what if?’ What if? You know what I mean?” Meltzer speculated that there is a feeling within WWE that if AEW’s numbers without competition from NXT head-to-head were too big, people will look at the product a different way.

Or, you know...put out a better product that’s worth watching?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

LOOOOL who was arguing with me earlier this week about NXT going on USA on Wednesdays having absolutely nothing to do with trying to fuck over AEW?

Because now NXT is going to air on SyFy instead of being preempted because they’re afraid of what AEW unopposed Wednesday numbers will look like.  Oh lord this sad, petty company.

I'll give you one guess without even looking, but it began with an E and ended with an n.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Technico Support said:

No one? I said it wasn't the only reason like you and others try to pretend. I didn't say it had nothing to do with it at all. Any chance you or anyone else here will ever answer my question about why they should have chosen a different day & time than the one they were already using for years before AEW existed?

3 hours ago, Eivion said:

No one? I said it wasn't the only reason like you and others try to pretend. I didn't say it had nothing to do with it at all. Any chance you or anyone else here will ever answer my question about why they should have chosen a different day & time than the one they were already using for years before AEW existed?

They shouldn't have had to choose a different day because like you said that was their day for the past few years.  So I never personally bought into that idea.  Both companies had their valid reasons for Wednesday.

But that doesn't mean that NXT hasn't done other things anyway to try and mess with things.  I'm still a bit salty about them putting Evolve on the Network last minute when they did last year's Fight for the Fallen.  Or this year they did Great American Bash even though Fyter Fest was announced beforehand.

But let's say you want to chalk that up to a business running competition.  Okay, I can see that.  But if NXT is airing on Tuesday unopposed then they should focus on getting great ratings for that.  But instead of seeing how both shows do unopposed they thought it was best to put a replay on SyFy.  At that point it now seems to me that the people behind NXT are insecure about things and are doing this to be petty.

And FWIW while I like AEW a lot more I still like NXT.

3 hours ago, Eivion said:

If WWE was serious about showcasing there developmental brand, instead of counter programming AEW, they probably could've picked any night on USA. In the past, they had no problem moving Smackdown to different nights as it changed channels. I could totally see them moving NXT to Tuesdays if the original AEW plan went through and they got the Tuesday spot on TNT.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If wwe wanted nxt in the best position possible, they would have picked Tuesday night because these shows debuted the same week smackdown moved to Friday, and there was suddenly a free night where 2 million wwe fans were used to watching wrestling. The only reason turner and aew decided against it (iirc it was more turners decision but there was a lot of debating and number crunching back and forth) was they would have had the show preempted 1/4 of the year for nba. In hindsight that would’ve been a mistake. Nxt wouldn’t have faced those preemptions. 

If you go back a year ago you can read all the weekly speculation and rumors we were discussing before dynamite was officially announced for Wednesday. Tuesday was the ideal night, they decided against it and officially announced Wednesday, and then wwe officially announced that nxt would be debuting on USA on wednesdays. 

• Like 2

The first episode of Dynamite last October - didn't NXT go to limited commercial interruptions for that night? They had already been live on USA for a week or two prior to that, I believe. That was another clear move against AEW.

Finn Balor was probably always going to move to NXT regardless of if AEW was a thing or not, but the most telling sign of them moving a big name to the brand for a while to counter AEW was Charlotte Flair this year.

NXT doing a replay this Wednesday on SyFy is just the latest in a string of reactionary things they've done since last fall when AEW debuted.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

If WWE was serious about showcasing there developmental brand, instead of counter programming AEW, they probably could've picked any night on USA. In the past, they had no problem moving Smackdown to different nights as it changed channels. I could totally see them moving NXT to Tuesdays if the original AEW plan went through and they got the Tuesday spot on TNT.

I'm not sure WWE chose for Smackdown to change the days it ran each network switch. I also don't see how moving to another day other than the one viewers were familiar with them being on would have helped them. 

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

But let's say you want to chalk that up to a business running competition.  Okay, I can see that.  But if NXT is airing on Tuesday unopposed then they should focus on getting great ratings for that.  But instead of seeing how both shows do unopposed they thought it was best to put a replay on SyFy.  At that point it now seems to me that the people behind NXT are insecure about things and are doing this to be petty.

I actually don't disagree with this. This particularly move is petty.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Eivion said:

I'm not sure WWE chose for Smackdown to change the days it ran each network switch. I also don't see how moving to another day other than the one viewers were familiar with them being on would have helped them. 

At the time of Dynamite debut/NXT to USA, WWE had a base of viewers already on Tuesdays and an open timeslot with Smackdown moving to Fox. I'm pretty sure far more than NXT had weekly on the network on Wednesday nights, as well.

1 minute ago, Infinit said:

At the time of Dynamite debut/NXT to USA, WWE had a base of viewers already on Tuesdays and an open timeslot with Smackdown moving to Fox. I'm pretty sure far more than NXT had weekly on the network on Wednesday nights, as well.

Viewers who wanted Smackdown, not NXT. The fans aren't quite the same with many looking at NXT as something minor in comparison to Raw or Smackdown. 

If you go by the demos, the audience that NXT found when they moved to cable is the same, just a smaller amount.

EDIT: The same as RAW/Smackdown, as in the 50+ age group.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1