DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUG 2020

4 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

What was the old lead in for WCW? Because all I can remember is the Rugrats(later I believe was Hey Arnold!)from 7 to 8 would be my personal lead-in until I flipped over to TNT.

I think I remember Captain Planet being the lead in for WCW Main Event when it was on Sundays at 6:05pm.

6 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I think I remember Captain Planet being the lead in for WCW Main Event when it was on Sundays at 6:05pm.

Oh the weekend stuff was definitely cartoons(Flintstones before Pro), but I can’t tell you what the hell was Monday nights.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

26 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

What was the old lead in for WCW? Because all I can remember is the Rugrats(later I believe was Hey Arnold!)from 7 to 8 would be my personal lead-in until I flipped over to TNT.

It would be one of TNT's original series or a show they would have syndication rights to. At one point, it was Thunder in Paradise which only went one season as a syndicated show. They got the rights when Nitro was around and exploited that, which made sense.

24 minutes ago, A_K said:

Giant step up, but its a Saturday night & fanbases are probably wildly divergent. 

Well, thing is how many people now are going out on Saturday compared to four or five months ago? There is shit I see on IG where people are acting like covid-19 just doesn't exist anymore, and they plan on enjoying summer as usual. Even then, I think that's more anecdotal based on the people I follow.

I think if you have a strong lead in, the worse you should be doing 750-800k, which isn't bad considering you've never been on a day other than Wednesday. Personally, I think they should be higher than that because TNT has done a good job advertising them and AEW is trying their hardest to get that change over.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I think if you have a strong lead in, the worse you should be doing 750-800k, which isn't bad considering you've never been on a day other than Wednesday. Personally, I think they should be higher than that because TNT has done a good job advertising them and AEW is trying their hardest to get that change over.

Yeah I hope so. As you say, its certainly a good opportunity. I hope they lead with their best foot forward; shows have been a bit polarized of late, hopefully we & they get one of the good ones.

Yeah, you think Sammy/Hardy and Darby/Starks are locks for All Out.

"Ivy and Delmonte" was a nice touch.

The Sammy promo is a worn out WWE trope where heels fake apologize. He can do better.

8 hours ago, A_K said:

Giant step up, but its a Saturday night & fanbases are probably wildly divergent. Probs best keeping the gimp masks off a sports-related lead in.

This is dumb. Hide one of the focal points of the show because some NBA viewers might tune in? Okayyyy.

1 minute ago, Casey said:

This is dumb. Hide one of the focal points of the show because some NBA viewers might tune in? Okayyyy.

Given some of the crazy and random shit that's been on Inside the NBA/NBA on TNT, that would be nothing out of the ordinary. Actually, I'm surprised that Shaq hasn't dressed like a member of the Dark Order yet.

5 hours ago, Casey said:

Your opinions are typically wildly off base but you are always very eager to speak anyway, so I am not too surprised you do not understand the point. 

1 minute ago, Casey said:

Maybe you should explain your point better then.

Dark Order summons the Carniest-of-Carny from the wrestling world. The aesthetics of the costumes; the age & physical appearance of the members; the halted, “everybody shout!” nature of the mic work; the cult-oriented storyline itself. If the plan is to introduce the product to a new detached audience segment of mostly-males who do not watch wrestling typically then there are far younger, more athletic, immediately accessible stars & storylines to elevate.

So they're supposed to tuck the Dark Order away for one show because of a potential new audience? Maybe it's two shows, if this audience decides to tune in again next Thursday? Three shows? Shutter the angle and stable all together?

Yeah, I'm not backing off my original opinion. Guess we gotta cancel the 8 man tag now because a dinosaur and a really short guy that does a Fortnite dance are wrestling, aw shucks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Casey said:

So they're supposed to tuck the Dark Order away for one show because of a potential new audience? Maybe it's two shows, if this audience decides to tune in again next Thursday? Three shows? Shutter the angle and stable all together?

Yeah, I'm not backing off my original opinion. Guess we gotta cancel the 8 man tag now because a dinosaur and a really short guy that does a Fortnite dance are wrestling, aw shucks.

Real fighters don't compete wearing coattails. FTR vs Private Party is off! 

Edited by Andy in Kansas
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, A_K said:

Dark Order summons the Carniest-of-Carny from the wrestling world. The aesthetics of the costumes; the age & physical appearance of the members; the halted, “everybody shout!” nature of the mic work; the cult-oriented storyline itself. If the plan is to introduce the product to a new detached audience segment of mostly-males who do not watch wrestling typically then there are far younger, more athletic, immediately accessible stars & storylines to elevate.

The DO stuff with Colt is real good.  The Putties are a good way to protect Brodie.   I do think Uno/Grayson should have been the team to beat Omega/Page though.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

If you are only selling about 600 tickets anyway (I believe the number I read was 10% capacity, though if wrong someone can correct me), it shouldn't eat up too much time and resources to require full names of everyone that's buying a ticket and sharing a pod, and require photo ID's for at least the adults upon check-in.

2 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Assuming the TSN schedule is accurate it looks like Canada gets tonight's show tape delayed I guess? Still better than nothing.

If you are recording to watch later, set your timer to go late, in case the tennis they are showing runs long.