DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUG 2020

You shouldn't be. All he cares about is wrestling pretty much. He doesn't read books. He doesn't really watch movies. He doesn't watch sports. It's pretty much just wrestling for his work and teaching jiu-jitsu to kids.

I think Alvarez gets worked up about moves because he's a wrestler and knows how much taking some of them sucks. My friend who wrestles has similar reactions, seeing things very differently from what I have been conditioned to be concerned about as purely a fan. Bryan's a goober, for sure, just to be clear. I like him most of the time but he's an absolute goober.

And 1 inch padding ain't going to do much if somebody is kicking you as hard as Kawada kicked people to the midsection and legs (and sometimes head). Those AJPW guys suffered some pretty nasty injuries over the years. Apparently Ishii hits like a pillow but can still make great sounds. Suzuki is stiffer but not nearly as stiff as we'd believe.

• Like 1

From Dave in the latest WON:

Regarding Excalibur, he will be back. Nobody has officially said anything but we were told he was flying to Jacksonville for next week’s television and unless things change would be back on the first show taped that airs on 8/12. His name hasn’t been mentioned on either Dynamite or Dark and Taz was in his spot on both shows

Cody and Q.T. Marshall are starting three-month training programs at their gym in Norcross, GA. They are branding the gym The Nightmare Factory, and the first class will start on 9/21 limiting it to 25 students. The classes will cover wrestling in the ring, customized weight and fitness programs, nutrition counseling, and have seminars on things ranging from usage of makeup for HD television, history of American pro Wrestling and in-depth studies on the business of wrestling. A second session would start in January. There will also be temperature screenings and COVID testing required. The idea is great but whether September is feasible is a different issue.

While not getting a lot of pub, they have cut back on extras that were being brought in weekly. Pineapple Pete was the biggest name not brought back

• Sad 1

But Suge is on Dark next week, in a six man vs Jurassic Express.

Racheal Ellering is also on there, vs Penelope Ford.

I can't think they booked two bladejobs on one show... and I doubt either guy would go into business for themselves and bleed without permission. But Matt has suddenly come out with this:

So maybe his was planned. But then AEW strikes while the iron is hot with shirts, and it was a taped show anyway, so who knows?

Edited by AxB

This is the company that had multiple evil cult angles going on at the same time, multiple heel stable recruitment angles going on at the same time, etc. I don’t feel like they abide by any hard limitations on running similar angles.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 3

First thing I thought of was Jamie Kellner. The situation is a bit different this time around as WCW was a toxic brand that was bleeding viewers so hopefully AEW doesn't wind up with the same fate.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The fact that the show is successful definitely helps, but you always have to be wary of Hollywood corporate ego bullshit.  New leadership always wants to put their own stamp on things.  All it takes is the new guy taking a look around and going, “Who the fuck hired wrestling?” And that’s the beginning of the end.

• Sad 2

Re: exec shakeup

This reply to Meltzer is pretty much my thoughts on the comparison. Even though most boxing fans thought HBO Boxing (World Championship Boxing and Boxing After Dark) would be around forever, realistically, they had been in decline ever since the bullshit political split of Al Haymon vs. everyone else. That was almost a decade ago. HBO Boxing was still #1 in the market, but it would like comparing WWF in 1990 to WWF in 1995. It wasn't what it once was. The more fragmented boxing became (Top Rank on ESPN, PBC/Floyd Mayweather on Showtime and Fox, and Eddie Hearn's at the time small stable in the USA and Canelo/GGG on HBO and DAZN), the less likely marquee bouts would be able to be made. Right now, especially in the pandemic when promotional companies and platforms have completely tightened their purse strings, that decision looks absolutely genius. 

For a company that hasn't been on TNT a whole year, AEW has completely overachieved. I think a lot of this is much ado about nothing.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 9

5 hours ago, Death From Above said:

If I got a dollar for every time a smart fan told me Kawada kicks really hard because the one inch thick foam pad made a noise I'd be doing pretty well.

134777714.gif?1593242637

It's a silent gif but you can hear that thud in your head I bet.

Also this is definitely on-topic AEW discussion now that Eddie Kingston is signed.

• Like 3

I'm not panicking on AEW yet unless I see reason to panic. 

I see it like this, if TNA can survive getting kicked off three networks in like a year, AEW surely can. The guy that owns the company is a billionaire and actually loves professional wrestling and is heavily invested in the product. 

Turner Entertainment owned WCW and Turner was no longer in power after the merger. Turner does not have any sort of ownership of AEW in this case. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

First thing I thought of was Jamie Kellner. The situation is a bit different this time around as WCW was a toxic brand that was bleeding viewers so hopefully AEW doesn't wind up with the same fate.

Same here.

How has Kilynn King done in the matches previous to the one with Abadon from Dark this past week?  She looked pretty good against Abadon and pretty good is reason for notice in the green division.  If Diamante can be excelerated to the top for a Shida bout, maybe they oughtta try King.  Abadaon has been kinda sorta a bright spot too.  Tho, she could possibly use one of those Evil Uno like makeovers.