DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUG 2020

Yup. They'd pay $50 a year for a forum and lots of virtual meet and greets and exclusive content with some other perks like that. It was a totally fine and good idea in principle but the money part was not great. $50 for an annual subscription isn't a disgusting amount of money but it being a horrible time for people financially except the wealthy and putting a price barrier on women feeling safe to talk about pro wrestling, it just seemed enough to taint an otherwise good idea. I also understand that they'd have to pay people money to monitor and moderate that forum and I don't know how meet and greets are worked out in terms of contracts in wrestling these days but that's another thing to think about costs, so it's tough.

Brandi has cut some truly terrible promos in AEW and had some really great ones too (the underdog promo near the beginning of AEW in the build to the match w/ Allie was super but then she fucking turned almost immediately after). I agree that she's really likable as a face as well. I hope she's able to figure things out.

Edited by Jiji

1 hour ago, Octopus said:

I’m pro Brandi. She has a great personality and I enjoy her YouTube show. She’s a great talker and very likable. Maybe I’m off, but she’s a reverse-Brit Baker. As a villain it doesn’t click for me, but can excel as a face. If she wants to wrestle, keep her on Dark to get more reps in. When she was on Jericho’s podcast she said she didn’t get enough ring experience. She has the personality to be entertaining on tv. 

I've always felt from what little I see/know about Brandi that she might just be a little too nice to be a wrestler.  Like, for most of the times I've seen her (in ROH, Impact! and early AEW), the mechanics are, understandably, a little rusty but when her strikes were really awkward and it really felt like she didn't want to hurt her opponent by hitting them too hard.  I think to be a wrestler, you have to be ok with roughing your opponent up a little and she never looked really comfortable with it.  That said, her last match on Dynamite with Allie, she looked like she was getting a little more used to her and is probably the best wrestling she's done (I don't watch Dark). 

She also might have the Sasha Banks problem in that she's slim, body-wise (With getting too Caleynetico here!), so she gets hurt pretty easily.  I feel like she got injured quite a bit in her short ROH run.

• Like 1

Yeah, $50 if you’re marketing it as a safe space isn’t good. Forum as less and the VIP extras as $50 would have probably looked better. In terms of storylines, AEW has done a good job recognizing when things are not working and adjusting accordingly. Even bluntly saying so. If they run their business model the same way as their stories, I assume if Heels comes off as a failure at first they’ll fix whatever they need to. 

The interesting thing about that underdog promo was it was bookended by her being a heel. If I recall correctly, she was portrayed as a villain in a promo before that and then turned after the match to heel again. She’s really been plagued with bad booking. Coming off moreso odd with twisting inconsistencies. The Nightmare Collective I actually found interesting, but was at the same time as the Dark Order which was established beforehand and uses the Nightmare name which was the Cody friend’s group. They make a great call and acknowledge it didn’t work. So she’s face again. Then she’s teaming with Allie who turned face again, who was a face when she faced Brandi but a heel before she turned face again. I think? Going through her run since the beginning, I’m not exactly sure I can follow it correctly. 

I’m very unfamiliar with her work outside of AEW, @caley. Anything you recommend? You make a good point with strikes. I think there’s a few people that either need to lay it in or work on making it look rougher. Brandi is definitely one of them. ——— Also, I’d like to write that I did like your Once Upon a Time in Hollywood post you quoted me in. I haven’t had a chance to respond with non-jumbled rambles. Agreeing and adding to. I feel with wrestling I can spout off posts and ramble texts, but with movies I take my time. No disrespect intended.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

I'm not a huge Brandi fan or anything, but if fans have run her off Twitter by being nasty to her, I think that's pretty horrible and mean-spirited.

I don't feel any sympathy for someone trying to charge women $50 a year to post on a message board.

29 minutes ago, Hooker said:

I don't feel any sympathy for someone trying to charge women $50 a year to post on a message board.

IMHO if you don't like it, don't pay for it. I subscribe to Disney+ but I'm not paying $30 to watch Mulan. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Hooker said:

No one tell Hooker (or NiceGuyEddie) about the premium Seinfeld-free safespace DVDR forum, for one low yearly fee of $69. 

• Haha 2

I can't imagine a bigger difference in using old, established names on a show then the one between Jericho and JR. 

Jericho has established himself as an all-timer, really a unique career and has added so much to AEW. 

I know they have JR for the name value, but he comes across as an old, out of touch grouch. When the hell did he decide it was ok to talk about business exposing stuff? Bill Watts would punch him right on the throat if he heard that crap. At this point, they just don't need him and it's time to cycle him "down the card". 

• Like 3

I’m amused at how many people are buying into this story that Matt was busted open hardway and Sammy has heat for throwing the chair too hard.  I can’t tell if Alvarez is a geek getting worked or if he’s just co-opted media being co-opted media.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, EVA said:

I’m amused at how many people are buying into this story that Matt was busted open hardway and Sammy has heat for throwing the chair too hard.  I can’t tell if Alvarez is a geek getting worked or if he’s just co-opted media being co-opted media.

Yes?

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, EVA said:

I thought it was a bladejob by how Hardy kept checking his forehead like he was trying to see if he'd bladed correctly.  But at the same time, that would be blading in the middle of a show when blood was set for the main, and a much bigger midshow bladejob than what we got in the main, at that.  So it being done on purpose makes no sense from that perspective.

Edited by Technico Support

47 minutes ago, EVA said:

Alvarez also always thinks wrestlers get legit killed when they take moves. Like, he thought Gargano was nearly dead taking Finn's DDT and he thought the same for something else.

Also, just as a reminder and apropos of nothing, Alvarez didn't know who Jesse Owens was.

7 hours ago, King Leonidas Of Sparta said:

No one tell Hooker (or NiceGuyEddie) about the premium Seinfeld-free safespace DVDR forum, for one low yearly fee of $69. 

No thanks, I'd rather spend $36.50 for a pizza bagel and bite size 3 Musketeers on the J. Peterman Reality Tour.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

Alvarez also always thinks wrestlers get legit killed when they take moves. Like, he thought Gargano was nearly dead taking Finn's DDT and he thought the same for something else.

Also, just as a reminder and apropos of nothing, Alvarez didn't know who Jesse Owens was.

And he's never watched Seinfeld.

Wrestling fans having a crazy fetish for thinking wrestlers are extremely tough and killing each other out there is consistent across eras. If I got a dollar for every time a smart fan told me Kawada kicks really hard because the one inch thick foam pad made a noise I'd be doing pretty well.

People still on Seinfeld's dick in 2020 is the equivalent of running a MASH gimmick on message boards in the late 90's. It's over, guys.

Exactly -- this

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

blading in the middle of a show when blood was set for the main, and a much bigger midshow bladejob than what we got in the main, at that

equals this

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Mox’s was hardway

at least in how I look at it. Blood WASN'T meant for the main. I'm surprised Dave hasn't found out yet if Alvarez is yakking on about it.

You know what? Do we really need to know? Why ruin the magic? 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Wrestling fans having a crazy fetish for thinking wrestlers are extremely tough and killing each other out there is consistent across eras. If I got a dollar for every time a smart fan told me Kawada kicks really hard because the one inch thick foam pad made a noise I'd be doing pretty well.

People still on Seinfeld's dick in 2020 is the equivalent of running a MASH gimmick on message boards in the late 90's. It's over, guys.

Obviously, we have no idea of the reality of the situation, but I'm sure thinking that way is part of the fascination. If we were absolutely sure that everything felt like being licked by tiny , fluffy kittens, I think there would be even less wrestling fans left.

And what do you mean Seinfeld is over? When was this and why was I not notified?

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

Still staggered by that one years later. Everyone should know Jesse Owens.

• Like 1