DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUG 2020

3 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Martinez was in both MYCs. She went to the semi-finals against Shayna in the first tournament, and had a marquee match against Meiko in the second of the second tournament. She also had a few NXT appearances before being signed. Not saying the AEW appearance didn't push them, but she was certainly in their view long before AEW became a thing. They seemed to like her so it was honestly always odd they didn't sign her until then.

Yeah, I don't think it's odd. ?

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

If they can pry away Kingston from the NWA, you'd think they could do the same with Thunder Rosa. 

She's probably one they're not going to let go until NWA goes all the way under.

I was advocating for more women's matches on Dynamite but after the slew of injuries reduced the roster to Shida and a bunch of talented but green women I let that one go. But that doesn't mean they can't have more of a presence on the show. The Baker/Swole segments have been great and have involved zero wrestling, Swole's one elbow this week notwithstanding. Why not get at least one more of these feuds going? It will have to end in a match eventually but you can get a couple of months worth of content first and if it works properly the match won't have to matter as much because the lead up was so much fun. Try and tell me Vickie Guerrero can't make worthwhile television out of a feud with pretty much anyone. I want more women's matches but if that's not going to happen I'd also enjoy it if they at least pretended the division wasn't an after thought.

Deonna Purrazzo is another one that slipped away from AEW. She was originally supposed to be in the women's 4 way match at ALL IN, but signed with WWE instead. Then, it seems like AEW didn't even get a chance when she was released. It seems like she immediately signed with Impact.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

I'm pretty sure Donna mentioned in an interview that she signed with Impact because she wanted something short term to get back into the groove of working and being creative. We often hear of ex WWE talent being burned out after dealing with their creative process so going to Impact where you most likely get more freedom probably helps.

And I get the feeling that Impact is perfectly ok with being the short term solution with talent after they leave.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I totally get the complaints about AEW's women's division because honestly it's not particularly good or deep. But I also do like the idea of at least giving them a tournament, maybe leading into something bigger, because the only way I'm aware of for wrestlers to seriously improve is to work in the ring. If they end up getting a women's division youtube show or something like that, great. 

If the AEW Heels thing is an elaborate work to get Brandi over as a disingenuous character who talks about uplifting women but actually only cares about her personal self-glorification, then it's a genius move. But there's a distinct possibility that she lacks self awareness and that what would be a topical and believable villainous character gimmick is... what she's actually like.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Since we all know the potential consequences of social media harassment, I’ll just say we should maybe give that a moment’s thought before we jump into the deep end with the mockery. 

Sorry for being a nag. I’ll show myself out. 

You know, I laughed at the initial joke but you're right. People aren't beyond reproach and criticism, but if she's gone so far as to delete her social media then I'm guessing she's not in a great place right now. The price barrier was a bad move but the idea is fine, I think. 

I’m pro Brandi. She has a great personality and I enjoy her YouTube show. She’s a great talker and very likable. Maybe I’m off, but she’s a reverse-Brit Baker. As a villain it doesn’t click for me, but can excel as a face. If she wants to wrestle, keep her on Dark to get more reps in. When she was on Jericho’s podcast she said she didn’t get enough ring experience. She has the personality to be entertaining on tv. 

The only backstage thing I’m aware of was her work (at least I assume her work) with KultureCity to make their events more sensory inclusive, which is very cool!

I don’t exactly understand what the Heels thing is or almost was. Was it a forum community or a new show? Or a combo of both? 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Craig H said:

Maybe I'm reading too much into things, but I wonder if Capcom is at least going to be the distributor for the AEW video game. The only reason I say that is that they've partnered with Capcom in the past and now they have those Capcom t-shirts.

As for who actually develops the game, who knows.

Oh, and I would totally be down for Kenny the Cleaner being a DLC character in Street Fighter.

There is a mystery new character scheduled for the next season of SFV DLC.

Very, very unlikely since Capcom doesn't do guests the way other franchises do  (my fighting game of choice has 3 guests)  , but just  saying...

7 minutes ago, Octopus said:

I’m pro Brandi. She has a great personality and I enjoy her YouTube show. She’s a great talker and very likable. Maybe I’m off, but she’s a reverse-Brit Baker. As a villain it doesn’t click for me, but can excel as a face. If she wants to wrestle, keep her on Dark to get more reps in. When she was on Jericho’s podcast she said she didn’t get enough ring experience. She has the personality to be entertaining on tv. 

The only backstage thing I’m aware of was her work (at least I assume her work) with KultureCity to make their events more sensory inclusive, which is very cool!

I don’t exactly understand what the Heels thing is or almost was. Was it a forum community or a new show? Or a combo of both? 

It's supposed to be an online community for female fans, acting like a safe space.