DVDVR Message Board

AUG 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

You might be thinking of Roller Jam, which quite frankly was pretty dang good for worked roller derby. There is a lot of it online uploaded out of order. If you compare it to older roller derby, you can see how much more violent these people bumped when compared to past generations.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Death From Above said:

Fight Zone does have an IMDB page that has very little interesting info on it except.... Sugar Ray Leonard has a producer credit? What the fuck?

Yeah I think in some markets it was called Sugar Ray Leonard’s Fight Zone. This thing went through quite a few edits I guess to resell it a few times.

Here’s footage of it with no audio, but you can clearly see Leonard in the video on commentary. 

This clip actually shows off what appears to be a 3rd incarnation of this concept as the commentary is dressed much closer to what traditional broadcasters were sporting at the time.

Edit: Here’s another clip with audio...

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

11 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Per Meltzer - the leader in the clubhouse for Summerslam location is Atlantic City because of course it is

GCW keep running Atlantic City too. Two shows last weekend (with a Beyond wrestling matinee show in between). On a pier, with the Atlantic Ocean as a backdrop to the hard cam. Looked great. They had mandatory masks and socially distanced seating, although everyone got up to form the Nick Gage moshpit, which sort of defeated the point of everything.

Seems like the only other state where Indie shows with fans have been happening is Indiana, although Glory Pro is running St Louis this weekend. And M V Young ran a show in Brooklyn New York last weekend, but he only made 15 tickets available.

Edited by AxB
  • Like 1

The Battle Dome crew appearing on Nitro (with Mike O'Hearn who I believe ended up marrying Scott Steiner's valet Midajah, and played Superman in a really well done fan-made Worlds Finest trailer last decade) was such a bizarre thing that never gets talked about just because such dumber shit came later

11 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

OK I just watched a clip of it. That was awful, like really awful. It was the bar room scene from No Holds Barred.

If they hired Kurt Fuller to host Raw Underground and had him calling everybody "jockass" it would instantly be like 1,000 times better tho...

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

The Battle Dome crew appearing on Nitro (with Mike O'Hearn who I believe ended up marrying Scott Steiner's valet Midajah, and played Superman in a really well done fan-made Worlds Finest trailer last decade) was such a bizarre thing that never gets talked about just because such dumber shit came later

In retrospect I wanted it to be more than a one off cameo. Bubba King deserves to get his unsafe ass kicked. What a fucking prick!

• Haha 1

I remember really liking Tiger Claw, and being upset he never got a spotlight episode. I think Ying Yang Man gets one, and doesn’t even win the big cage match. Fuck Ying Yang Man. One eyed fuck.

Edit: Sorry I meant Panther.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Battle Dome. That show takes me back. T Money is the only one whose name I remember for the gimmick and how Terry Crews went on to do Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Does El Rey own a trademark on the word "underground" as it pertains to sports entertainment productions?  ? I wouldn't want confusion in the marketplace.

I just announced for a wrestling group called Fight Underground a few weeks ago in Pittsburgh, so I guess not.

• Like 1

The biker I remember from the ppv I'd watched

I think I ordered one of the future fights PPV's, at least I know I got one of the PPV's but I can't for the life of me remember what the name was. The idea was they had one fighter ready to go on stage, and then theres a graphic with three possible fighters they go up against and I forgot how or who voted on the opponent but it was a "live ppv" so all I know ,I was sitting there wondering who would get picked.

One of the announcers was this stocky biker looking guy who made fun of this Van Damme like guy with a French accent named Jean Valjean. Biker kept laughing at the name saying it sounded like a fragrance or something. 

I wish I could find the VHS of this but this is way back and I don't think I'd still have it as most of my VHS tapes from the early 90s got lost during a move. I know I really enjoyed it and would always watch it with my cousins and friends every chance we had

Hakeem the Machine from WMAC was on the ppv for certain (he'd also pop up in the first MK movie as Liu Kangs opponent on the beach), I remember freaking out seeing him pop back up on WMAC and the Kombat movie. 

I legit thought the whole thing was real since we got some busted lips and noses but the ppv freaked me out when this bald guy with a wild ass topknot* snapped the neck of his opponent. I mentioned Hakeem from WMAC and I remember for his fight he had a pair of clubs (think Daredevil) and his opponent, fuck it could have been nunchucks? They started with weapons (should have clued me in this was fake hahahaha) but at one point just went to unarmed fighting and never bothered with the weapons.

* Looked up the guy with the topknot because I didn't realize until I watched The Mask with Jim Carrey that this dude was an actor ,(Nils Allen Stewart) in the film who was a henchman for Peter Greenes character. Seeing him walking around on a movie like nothing finally got me to realize whatever the ppv I'd ordered was actually just staged fights and not legit underground fighting lmao

Edited by Hayabusa
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

You know what the WWE is right now? I know people like to make comparisons to Russo era WCW, but they are more like early 90s WCW. They have no earthly idea who they are anymore. They keep changing formats constantly and none of it is lasting.

I really like that comparison, you notice 89-92 World Championship Wrestling (Saturday Nights original name) isn’t on the Network. Someone on the inside needs to digitize and upload it on the Network so maybe Vince sees it and realizes the error of his ways. I wonder if Trips and Steph wish they had went along with Shane coup 11 years ago.

15 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

You might be thinking of Roller Jam, which quite frankly was pretty dang good for worked roller derby. There is a lot of it online uploaded out of order. If you compare it to older roller derby, you can see how much more violent these people bumped when compared to past generations.

I loved Rollerjam more than anyone should.  It was on after ECW on TNN, so lots of time I would just leave it on and laugh.  I stopped watching after they added more wrestling-style storylines because I already had three companies that I was regularly watching not do it that well (I remember one team having an ex-convict in an orange jumpsuit on their team and my brother and I thought they said his name was Tibor and we kept laughing and quoting Simpsons "That idiot Tibor lost the key!" (in retrospect, his name was probably T-Bone)).  I sadly still somehow remember the name Mark D'Amato who was like the bully of the league and used old-style skates and hit people really hard.  Also the Quakes had a guy who looked (and sounded) like a pudgy Buff Bagwell.   

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

You know what the WWE is right now? I know people like to make comparisons to Russo era WCW, but they are more like early 90s WCW. They have no earthly idea who they are anymore. They keep changing formats constantly and none of it is lasting.

Which is funny 'cuz it's AEW who's actually taking WCW early 90s concepts and bringing them back, like their Battle Bowl-style women's tag tournament! And Top 5 rankings!  If they bring back World War III, I am OUT.

7 minutes ago, caley said:

Which is funny 'cuz it's AEW who's actually taking WCW early 90s concepts and bringing them back, like their Battle Bowl-style women's tag tournament! And Top 5 rankings!  If they bring back World War III, I am OUT.

Im really curious who they would bring in to fill out the 60 person concept?

I really didn't like the TNN Rollerjam. For me, Rollerjam was at it's best on Saturday nights on our CBS affiliate. WWF Superstars was on at 9 pm, then American Gladiators at 10 pm, and Rollerjam at 11 pm.

EDIT: Oops! I was thinking of Rollergames. I liked Rollergames more than Rollerjam.

Edited by Craig H