Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

Recommended Posts

On 8/24/2020 at 12:29 AM, Smelly McUgly said:

The match at Unstoppable against Becky Lynch is also a classic and is my favorite match from the company in the '10s up through 2016. 

Sasha had at least three classics in NXT. Don't give a fuck if she rehearsed them. Randy Savage rehearsed his shit and is one of the three greatest wrestlers of all time.

Come on, clearly the NXT roster had a huge advantage over the main roster because they could rehearse their ppv match, while people on the main roster were too busy being on the road wrestling their ppv opponent on house show loops.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

Come on, clearly the NXT roster had a huge advantage over the main roster because they could rehearse their ppv match, while people on the main roster were too busy being on the road wrestling their ppv opponent on house show loops.

You missed a great opportunity to ask S McU who the other two were... Somehow, he doesn't strike me as someone who liked Jumbo, Misawa, Kawada, or Johnny Valentine... Whoops, that's four... I think Savage makes it into my top 25, barely...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JonnyLaw said:

Come on, clearly the NXT roster had a huge advantage over the main roster because they could rehearse their ppv match, while people on the main roster were too busy being on the road wrestling their ppv opponent on house show loops.

I'd like it noted for the record that I had nothing to do with this conversation...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2020 at 3:12 PM, supremebve said:

His black castmates constantly yelled at him for never considering the fact that his life experiences aren't universal.  He went on a show that is basically an exercise in learning about other people's experiences and didn't realize that other people may have different experiences.  With that said, they all became friends by the end.  

From an old GQ article:

At breakfast one morning, back in 2001, conversation turned to that trusty standby "white people and black people." The Miz let slip that his dad doesn't like to hire black people at his Mr. Hero franchise back in northern Ohio because the inner-city schools there are bad, and black people there are "slow."”

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OSJ said:

You missed a great opportunity to ask S McU who the other two were... Somehow, he doesn't strike me as someone who liked Jumbo, Misawa, Kawada, or Johnny Valentine... Whoops, that's four... I think Savage makes it into my top 25, barely...

D-Bry, Jim Breaks.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, OSJ said:

You missed a great opportunity to ask S McU who the other two were... Somehow, he doesn't strike me as someone who liked Jumbo, Misawa, Kawada, or Johnny Valentine... Whoops, that's four... I think Savage makes it into my top 25, barely...

Ah, wrestling elitism. You love to see it.

Who cares if @Smelly McUgly doesn’t like Kawada or whoever? Give me a break.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

So I was watching something the other day that put a huge smile on my face.  Twin Towers vs. Mega Powers we all know the story,  The Luster carried an injured Liz to the back and left Macho to fend for himself, etc.. 

But what I had totally forgot. After Macho beats him down in the medical room, Brutus fucking Beefcake showed up to save Hogan and Macho just obliterates him before turning his attention back to Hulk.  Awesome. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

But what I had totally forgot. After Macho beats him down in the medical room, Brutus fucking Beefcake showed up to save Hogan and Macho just obliterates him before turning his attention back to Hulk.  Awesome. 

Yeah, he wallops Beefcake good. The other funny thing, besides Hogan asking for the countdown back from break, even though they already were, was Brutus showing up too early and backing out of the shot.

Edited by PetrolCB
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Yeah, he wallops Beefcake good. The other funny thing, besides Hogan asking for tizzime back from break, even though they already were, was Brutus showing up too early and backing out of the shot.

FIFY

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

From an old GQ article:

At breakfast one morning, back in 2001, conversation turned to that trusty standby "white people and black people." The Miz let slip that his dad doesn't like to hire black people at his Mr. Hero franchise back in northern Ohio because the inner-city schools there are bad, and black people there are "slow."”

The worst part about this is that this dude thinks this about Mr. Hero, a job that no one with any education would even apply to do.  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah you apply for Mr Hero if literally all the other sub places in the area aren't hiring or Mr Hero is the only game in town which these days seems impossible

The thing on the Miz/Big E that makes no sense is how can the Miz talk about how serious E needs to be when for the last 2 months Miz and Morrison has been nothing but a terrible comedy act.  I mean they interviewed a wig for 5 minutes

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Yeah you apply for Mr Hero if literally all the other sub places in the area aren't hiring or Mr Hero is the only game in town which these days seems impossible

The thing on the Miz/Big E that makes no sense is how can the Miz talk about how serious E needs to be when for the last 2 months Miz and Morrison has been nothing but a terrible comedy act.  I mean they interviewed a wig for 5 minutes

 

Miz and Morrison are doing WWE-sanctioned comedy.  Big E is an actual funny person.  That's the difference.

  • Like 15
Link to post
Share on other sites

Miz is a guy who thinks he's far funnier and charismatic than he actually is.

And I'm absolutely not shocked a white kid from the midwest has some pretty ignorant views on race and privilege.   Hearing that story about his dad rings so true.  It's the kind of ingrained soft racism that's so casually passed down generationally, where the kids coming up need to really pay attention and wake the fuck up, lest you end up on a talk show arguing with a black guy about how you've faced the same barriers they have.

  • Like 13
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Miz is a guy who thinks he's far funnier and charismatic than he actually is.

And I'm absolutely not shocked a white kid from the midwest has some pretty ignorant views on race and privilege.   Hearing that story about his dad rings so true.  It's the kind of ingrained soft racism that's so casually passed down generationally, where the kids coming up need to really pay attention and wake the fuck up, lest you end up on a talk show arguing with a black guy about how you've faced the same barriers they have.

Agree with you entirely Tech, except for one thing: the "white kid from the Midwest" part. Cleveland is like 60% black!! Dude should definitely know better. But overall, you hit the nail on the head. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Supremebve covered this much better than I possibly could.  But what gets me is that Xavier not knowing about the co-host deal that soon before the premiere seems pretty messed up to me.  Is he actually doing this and just needed more notice from WWE?  Or did they decide at the last minute to swap him out with Miz.  Because if Xavier was going to co-host and Kofi was going to be talked about then they should have waited for him before having Big E on the show.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the Miz talk based on his Talking Smack segment with Big E?  Or is there more to it?  I haven't seen Talking Smack, so I'm not sure exactly what was said, but my impression was that Miz was at least partly in character.

Basing opinions on the Miz of off the Real World seems kinda flimsy.  It's debatable how "real" those shows are once the editing process is completed.  And Miz was barely 20 when he was on MTV.  I'm hoping he's not the same person now that he was in 2001.

I'm not defending Miz, per se.  I don't know him, so I'm in no position to know what he's like or how he feels about anything.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Is the Miz talk based on his Talking Smack segment with Big E?  Or is there more to it?  I haven't seen Talking Smack, so I'm not sure exactly what was said, but my impression was that Miz was at least partly in character.

Basing opinions on the Miz of off the Real World seems kinda flimsy.  It's debatable how "real" those shows are once the editing process is completed.  And Miz was barely 20 when he was on MTV.  I'm hoping he's not the same person now that he was in 2001.

I'm not defending Miz, per se.  I don't know him, so I'm in no position to know what he's like or how he feels about anything.

It is in relation to Talking Smack and his quote from the GQ article adds to that.  I would say that listening to him on New Day's podcast this week would help as well.  The gist of it that I got is that yes he works really, really hard between WWE, promoting WWE and also promoting side gigs.  That and doing it all while being a dad is a lot for him to take on.  So while he was in character that's also part of his general mindset.  The only thing is that was the wrong move to take considering the hopefully implications it created.

As for Miz the person he to me has shown a lot of growth and I think working in WWE has helped him a lot.  I hope he doesn't have racist tendencies but he seems to me to be more unintentionally ignorant about things.  At the same time as indicated on the podcast this week he does seem to appreciate when he learns about things such as the Tulsa Massacre or Seneca Village.  So I know this seems like I'm defending Miz but I guess that's just me being optimistic while hopefully not showing ignorance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Agree with you entirely Tech, except for one thing: the "white kid from the Midwest" part. Cleveland is like 60% black!! Dude should definitely know better. But overall, you hit the nail on the head. 

I grew up in a city demographically similar to Cleveland and I can tell you that white middle class racism is thriving in places like that.  I grew up around some real bigoted shitheads and I'm glad I got away from that.

3 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

  That and doing it all while being a dad is a lot for him to take on.

I firmly believe that once you reach a certain level of money and fame, you sure as shit are not taking care of your own kids the way non-rich, non-famous people do. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Casey said:

Ah, wrestling elitism. You love to see it.

Who cares if @Smelly McUgly doesn’t like Kawada or whoever? Give me a break.

Oh, settle the fuck down. I was being funny, sorry it flew over that pointed object that you call a head.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, OSJ said:

Oh, settle the fuck down. I was being funny, sorry it flew over that pointed object that you call a head.

OSJ, every time you think you're being funny, it's only you who thinks that.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

I don't like Kawada.

I got news for you round-eyes, Kawada doesn't like you! 😉

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...