DVDVR Message Board

AUG 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

6 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

NXT moved to USA shortly before AEW was set to debut in the exact same time slot.  The goal was absolutely to kill AEW in the ratings so TNT wouldn't give them a deal.  They didn't get a real TV deal until January, based on performance.  If NXT would have been successful in taking significant numbers from AEW, AEW would be gone by now.  To think that wasn't the plan is just being willfully obtuse.

The show was already on Wednesdays. The time it started airing was basically the same time it did before. They were already talking about it moving to tv before AEW existed. Why would they move it to any other day but Wednesday or change the air time?  I get you despise WWE, but not everything they do is to spite you or what you like. They do have an actual business to run however much we disagree with how they run it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nofuture said:

WCW was a much bigger threat then and the financial dynamics are completely different now.  Vince had a gun to the back of his head back then and needed to adapt or the reality of closing shop was possible.  Right now WWE is probably at it's most financially secure spot ever.  The boat might have a leak, but Vince is going to sail that boat as far as possible.

How secure are they really? At one point, there sources of income were pretty diversified (PPV money, gates, DVD sales etc.). I did not check the latest quarterly report, but my guess is that now they are immensely dependent on TV rights money. If the ratings are continue to drop (or the TV landscape changes even further), than maybe that whole bubble might pop once the renewal of the contracts is up. And if that bubble pops, then (as they are not as diversified as they once were) they might fall really hard and fast.

7 minutes ago, D.Z said:

My personal production style preference is gritty and imperfect. I think I am going to absolutely hate this gaudy neon abomination. Hopefully the different squares on the LED boards with the fans on them can be less homogenized and pump in a little pulse to the stale production. But this video (and that ridiculous liability waiver) makes me think it's going to be the exact opposite. Eventually they will have the technology for LED ropes and an LED canvas too. At that point they will develop LED clothing and force all fans to wear it.

"God damn pal we need every inch of the screen covered in lights. Blinking neon colors. We can make full bodysuits for our SUPERSTARS *TM* and cover their faces and insure no one ever blows up. We'll own it all pal. No one leaving for movies. No one leaving for UFC. Just NEON BODYSUITS with REPLACEABLE day laborers. God damn, at least until we perfect that WWE UNIVERSE CYBORG TECHNOLOGY!!!!"

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

At that point they will develop LED clothing and force all fans to wear it.

You joke, but AEW was experimenting with fans wearing LED bracelets at Revolution. I actually quite liked it for a few entrances, especially Omega's IIRC. Of course I'm not sure how I'd feel about seeing that all the time. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Eivion said:

The show was already on Wednesdays. The time it started airing was basically the same time it did before. They were already talking about it moving to tv before AEW existed. Why would they move it to any other day but Wednesday or change the air time?  I get you despise WWE, but not everything they do is to spite you or what you like. They do have an actual business to run however much we disagree with how they run it.

I usually don't copy and paste something I already said but since you didn't speak to it at all:

NXT moved to USA shortly before AEW was set to debut in the exact same time slot.  The goal was absolutely to kill AEW in the ratings so TNT wouldn't give them a deal.  They didn't get a real TV deal until January, based on performance.  If NXT would have been successful in taking significant numbers from AEW, AEW would be gone by now.  To think that wasn't the plan is just being willfully obtuse.

You didn't answer the assertion that AEW didn't have a strong deal in place and their staying on TNT was very much contingent on ratings at that point.  Given WWE's dealings with competition going back to the early 80s, are you really going to tell me people like Meltzer, who also raised this exact point, are just blind WWE haters?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

You joke, but AEW was experimenting with fans wearing LED bracelets at Revolution. I actually quite liked it for a few entrances, especially Omega's IIRC. Of course I'm not sure how I'd feel about seeing that all the time. 

Big concerts and other arena and stadium performances have already been doing the LED bracelets thing for years now. All of the bracelets are on a network where a program can change the color of bracelet, how fast the twinkle, how fast they change colors, and how fast they move through the arena. AEW was just smart enough to take that same concept and use it for their PPVs. I'm honestly surprised WWE never did that for WrestleMania.

I think we must have 5 of those bracelets floating around somewhere in our house from various concerts. The big one that comes to mind was a Taylor Swift concert my wife took my daughter to.

• Like 2

Just now, Technico Support said:

I usually don't copy and paste something I already said but since you didn't speak to it at all:

You didn't answer the assertion that AEW didn't have a strong deal in place and their staying on TNT was very much contingent on ratings at that point.  Given WWE's dealings with competition going back to the early 80s, are you really going to tell me people like Meltzer, who also raised this exact point, are just blind WWE haters?

Listen. Eivion is gonna take this to the grave. He ain't moving off it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Dude, you would do well to stop constantly coloring one side of this discussion as people are mad at WWE or they despise WWE and WWE is trying to spite those people.

1 minute ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Same. Has it ever been done in wrestling before? Nothing springs to my mind, but I'm sure if there's an examples then somebody here has it. 

People were already using their phones for it, but those bracelets would be pretty dope for Bray Wyatt's entrances. Or for a HHH entrance and have the bracelets strobe in different colors like how the lights go off for HHH when he spits water into the air on the apron.

Purple and yellow for John Cena.

Purple for the Undertaker.

Red and white for Daniel Bryan.

And so on.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

What are the reasons for NXT going from being a one hour show on the WWE network, to being a two hour live show on actual TV, that have nothing to do with AEW?

It made NXT and WWE developmental profitable.

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Dude, you would do well to stop constantly coloring one side of this discussion as people are mad at WWE or they despise WWE and WWE is trying to spite those people.

I dunno. Seems like plenty of people here are venomous towards them. 

7 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I dunno. Seems like plenty of people here are venomous towards them. 

Venomous towards the billion dollar company that shits on their own wrestlers and fans? Entirely separate discussion that has nothing to do with the optics, financials, or realities of trying to pull viewers away from AEW. I don't think I've seen anyone say, "fuck WWE, how dare they compete with AEW, WWE sucks for doing that!" The side saying that WWE was purposely trying to counterprogram and dent AEW's viewership knows perfectly well that this is a business and everyone is in it to make money. The point we're trying to make is that WWE isn't remotely innocent in the business they're doing and that has nothing to do with how anyone views their creative, handling of wrestlers, and so on.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I'd say "attempting to murder a new brand in the cradle to protect our market share" is part of how they run their business. 

• Like 4

Since we're on the subject and I've been wondering for a while: what do you think AEW's ratings would have been like if NXT hadn't debuted on USA? My gut says slightly higher but it's not like all 700k viewers NXT gets every week would be switching channels. Would Dynamite top a million every week?

Edited by Godfrey

36 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

You copy and pasted an opinion that you consider fact without much to really back it up. It was one that was already argued against several times. You just happen to keep ignoring the arguments because they push other factors that make more sense. You haven't answered why WWE should have moved the show to any other day or time. I don't think everyone is a blind WWE hater, but I do think they weigh their bias against WWE highly when it comes to these situations. There are plenty of legit reasons to have issues with them. WWE moving a show from the network to tv on the same time and day they were airing it previously is not a good one.

34 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Listen. Eivion is gonna take this to the grave. He ain't moving off it.

You aren't wrong per say, but I'm not sure how anyone else here is any better. None of us are really budging from our opinions on this.

34 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Except the people pushing this theory on here constantly are ones who are admittedly mad at WWE or just straight up hate it. You have all talked about this shit before so I'm not sure how you can pretend it has no bearing whatsoever on your viewpoint of the situation.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

Since we're on the subject and I've been wondering for a while: what do you think AEW's ratings would have been like if NXT hadn't debuted on USA? My gut says slightly higher but it's not like all 700k viewers NXT gets every week would be switching channels. Would Dynamite top a million every week?

I think they would top one million every week but they wouldn't be gaining much from the 50+ demo crossing over.  

35 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

I think the moment aew ends at 10pm between 150-250k switch to nxt. I think it’s fair to say that either show would get a bump that big if it weren’t for direct competition. 

Related to this discussion, there was a question on the Drive Thru this week asking if Vince's goal in the 80s was to be the biggest company in the business or the only company in the business and if he wanted to drive everyone else out of business.

Edited by odessasteps

So, anyone watching All Out 2019 (part one) on YouTube tonight? Starts in like two and a half hours I think.

Or there's NXT on the telly at the same time, if that's your thing.

44 minutes ago, AxB said:

So, anyone watching All Out 2019 (part one) on YouTube tonight? Starts in like two and a half hours I think.

Might just watch more World Class, or work on some of my Fire Pro edits. But I really should watch that ladder match again, and the AEW title match.

1 hour ago, AxB said:

I didn't watch it last year so I plan to check it out. I regret not getting a AEW ppv before Revolution this year.