DVDVR Message Board

AUG 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Alright guys I need help with a Fire Pro project again. This time I'm thinking of doing well known jobbers from the mid 80s to mid 90s (which was the era where I started watching). Now I'm not talking about the no-name regional guys who never got in any offense and were basically just used as crash test dummies. I'm talking about guys who worked all the house shows and did the job to the bigger stars on TV, but put up a little bit of a fight and would pick up an occasional win on a house show. Here are the names I've got so far. We only got WWF and NWA up here so that was all I really watched.

WWF: Paul Roma, Jim Powers, Iron Mike Sharpe, Barry Horowitz, Steve Lombardi, Moondog Spot, Moondog Rex, Conquistadors, Sam Houston, Danny Davis

NWA/WCW: Italian Stallion, George South, Thunderfoot 1 & 2, Denny Brown, Mike Jackson

So you get the idea of the type of suggestions I'm looking for. Again the time frame is 85/86 to 95/96. 

8 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:
Why can't I do that? Why can't I show my personality backstage? Why can't I go in the ring and do what I do? Then I was told, 'Don't look at the people, don't smile, don't do this.' Really? Everything I'm doing, it seems the people are liking it. Why am I getting over and you're telling me to do the opposite? I didn't understand, I had a conversation with Vince and he told me that with Rusev Day, they were just mocking me, they didn't mean it," - Rusev recalled.
"[Rusev Day] was going on. There was no way the office didn't notice because it was before, after, during the show. It was everywhere. I always felt defeated because what was I doing it for? It was all competition and finally, I got to a point of, 'wow, we're doing something right.' There's no way it wasn't noticed. The first meeting it was, 'they're fucking with you, they don't mean what they're saying.' I respect and I listen because I always want to listen from Vince. He had everybody on his side. In my mind, I knew it wasn't true. They started putting my segments early so the 'Rusev Day' chants would go away. I was not even supposed to be on WrestleMania, the year I lost to Jinder. I was not on TV for three weeks. I'm sitting backstage all night and listening to people chant 'Rusev Day.' I went to one of the writers and I'm like, 'This is not right.' This is the first time I yelled at a writer, and I felt bad. He was like, 'We don't know what to do.' What do you mean you don't know what to do? Just listen. They'll tell you what to do. They're shoving me down and I don't understand why. What am I fighting for? I did everything, right? I went to acting classes, I started working on my body, I did all the extra stuff. I was just defeated. When Vince said the second time, 'they're fucking with you,' I said, 'Vince, we have sold out all of our merchandise.' 'What do you mean?' 'The shirt is sold out.' 'Well, maybe they didn't make enough.' 'They didn't make enough shirts, that's why it's sold out? Not because we're doing good? Really?' Then they didn't know what to do, good guy or bad guy, come on, man.

And this is why I'm just done with WWE and even have a hard time watching NXT. I just can't with this company anymore. Knowing that this is happening to a guy that was one of my favorites to watch and Vince basically killed his passion to wrestle sucks and makes me realize that Rusev isn't the only one who received this treatment. WWE, Vince, whatever is actively killing wrestling with shit like this. It doesn't matter how many millions they're getting in TV contracts, eventually that will fade, those contracts will be less, the audience will dwindle more, because the brand fucking sucks. It sucks. I know there's a handful of you that will defend it or find something to like, and that's fine. The fact is that the WWE brand has been tainted by this stink that you're not going to get rid of without a top to bottom change. And for everyone that says, well, look at how many people go to WrestleMania each year, just realize that isn't going to last forever. It can't. Not when you do shit like that to Rusev and probably plenty of others.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The low ratings will be attributed to the pandemic but i can't see them recovering this year even if crowds returned in some capacity. It's easier to wait a day and skip to anything you actually care about. 

Luckily we live in a time where you have so many other options for wrestling. I just subscribed to the DDT/Noah streaming service. I can pull up NJPW World. IWTV has so many promotions. AEW reruns are free on BR Live. There are so many more options I didn't even list. Even with WWE being putrid there is a ton of great wrestling still. 

• Like 3

Yes, there are a ton of great options, but WWE has the best and largest pool of talent in the world. I want to watch those guys and women and have it be good and not think about bullshit like Rusev being told that the fans are just fucking with him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

Yes, there are a ton of great options, but WWE has the best and largest pool of talent in the world. I want to watch those guys and women and have it be good and not think about bullshit like Rusev being told that the fans are just fucking with him.

Don't get over on your initiative. See: Rusev, Zack Ryder and Cesaro. As fans, it frustrates and must do even more for the wrestlers in question.

See the other thing... those Thatch as Thatch Can segments on NXT, where Timothy Thatcher is torturing students while teaching them the basics... I don't think this is to get Thatcher over as a great technician. I think this is  to educate Tim Thatcher's fans that now he's in WWE, you can forget all those reversals and variable joint locks he used on the indies. Now he's in WWE, it's going to be basic armbars and half crabs and nothing else ever.

• Sad 2

What can we as fans do about it besides support alternatives? Until Vince goes, it will be run like this. When he is gone there is no guarantee it gets better. I hated how it became obvious that NXT call ups were not utilized properly to where I quit watching NXT. I haven't watched an actual Raw or Smackdown since the debut on Fox. I only have the network to watch older shows 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Deville noted that after she got Thomas’ name from authorities, she looked him up on Instagram and saw his “obsessive” messages to her account.
“The nature of the messages from this account were obsessive, suicidal, idolizing, saying, ‘You are the only person I will ever love,’” she wrote.
The last message on the account, at 12:16AM on Sunday, said, “Look outside, baby, by your pool. I’m here. I’m gonna kill that little b—- you have inside with you.”
In other messages, Thomas revealed that he had found out Deville’s address, made threats against her family, described sex acts, and posted a photo of his penis.

This is awful.  What gets me is this: we have Big Data, we have machine learning, we have algorithms to figure shit out about people and build profiles with no user intervention at all.  Instead of using it to crawl our social media and other places to figure out who we're likely to vote for an how to best sell us shit, how about crawling the web to find shit like this and dispatch mental health professionals, accompanied by police (not vice versa; mental health people in charge with police solely as backup for safety) to check in on people who are going off online, seem dangerous, suicidal, etc?  I know that's some big brother shit but it's not like this technology isn't being employed for other things.  I don't know, man.  It's just striking how this dude was going off on social media  about this and nothing came of it but if he'd expressed this stuff IRL to a family member, he would have very likely qualified for an involuntary psych hold. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

This is awful.  What gets me is this: we have Big Data, we have machine learning, we have algorithms to figure shit out about people and build profiles with no user intervention at all.  Instead of using it to crawl our social media and other places to figure out who we're likely to vote for an how to best sell us shit, how about crawling the web to find shit like this and dispatch mental health professionals, accompanied by police (not vice versa; mental health people in charge with police solely as backup for safety) to check in on people who are going off online, seem dangerous, suicidal, etc?  I know that's some big brother shit but it's not like this technology isn't being employed for other things.  I don't know, man.  It's just striking how this dude was going off on social media  about this and nothing came of it but if he'd expressed this stuff IRL to a family member, he would have very likely qualified for an involuntary psych hold. 

I don't know...I wish something could be done and I've thought of similar solutions, but they all edge close to shit like "future crime" and we all know how well that goes.

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I don't know...I wish something could be done and I've thought of similar solutions, but they all edge close to shit like "future crime" and we all know how well that goes.

Right, that's kind of where I get hung up with something like that being a solution.  It also edges close to "having an adequate social safety net" and I think we already know that's not happening.  Why spend money to help more people when it's far cheaper to just let the occasional crazy pop off and then clean up the mess after? 

• Like 4

On a far less depressing tip:

Earlier this week (or late last week?), Thunderdome led to a little bit of a discussion of how cool it is to see wrestling in different setting instead of the homogenized WWE buildings which all look alike.  If you have a Highspots subscription, check our Warrior Wrestling's "Friday Night Lights," taped at a high school football stadium in August 7 with socially-distanced fans.  I'm about halfway through and it's a fun, cool-looking show.  The hardcam faces the goalpost!

Edited by Technico Support

Just now, AxB said:

That cookbook money must be piling up already.

The story mentions that the cookbook is the first of a few outside the WWE opportunities that she has been offered so you might be more on the nose than you realize

• Thanks 1

What's funny is according to one of Moxley's interviews she wasn't that serious about cooking until the pandemic happened.  So if she did all this while all this was going on that's impressive.  And kind of makes me wish I did more things to do around here myself.

But once Backstage was cancelled I imagine Renee was going to leave first chance she got.  I'm going to miss her a ton and will be curious to see what she does next.  Heck, with how their schedule is she could theoretically do AEW and still do whatever else she may do if she chooses.  But what she really deserves is her own talk show.  She's just made to do that and I think she would be tremendous.

Purely speculating - but if I got COVID due to my employer and had my employer handle it the way her employer did - I would want to get the fuck out as soon as possible

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Beside which, if anyone had an idea of how much of a stress relief it was to be out of that company, it would be someone who knows very well how much Moxley's emotional wellbeing has improved since he broke out.

Speaking of which, has Seth Rollins cut an "He took his ball and went home" promo on Roman Reigns yet? It's got to be soon, right? He can't help himself!

• Like 1