DVDVR Message Board

AUG 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

You aren't wrong per say, but they can't claim they investigated without actually having done an investigation either. Any real investigation has to contact the accusers at some point.

A criminal investigation, yes. But WWE can't perform a criminal investigation.

34 minutes ago, caley said:

My complete guess (And I'm not saying it's right, believe me) is they probably dug up dirt on the accuser that lead them to believe he wasn't credible (Like with the Matt Riddle case), hence no need to contact the accuser, and investigation done in WWE's eyes.

Has there ever been a case where WWE did contact one of their accusers? Again not agreeing or saying what they're doing is right, but their legal department is pretty airtight and McDevitt is no slouch.

1 minute ago, The Green Meanie said:

A criminal investigation, yes. But WWE can't perform a criminal investigation.

Does the NFL conduct criminal investigations? Cause one of the first things they do is contact the accuser(s).

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Eivion said:

At some point people need to understand you can't claim to have investigated while not having talked to the key people involved.

How much of the suspicion around him was based on Instagram DMs?  If they found that those DMs were illegitimate they wouldn't really need to talk to the victims.

6 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Does the NFL conduct criminal investigations? Cause one of the first things they do is contact the accuser(s).

The NFL’s investigations have also been criticized for overstepping their bounds and acting like criminal investigations rather than merely an employer’s. 

Goldberg's contract lasts around 2023, two matches per year. Maybe WWE should do Orton vs Goldberg next year.

In other news..WWE reportedly may create a WWE Raw Underground title, with "beat up" look like the old Hardcore Title, with spray paint and simulated brick texturing.

Edited by D.Z
  • Like 1

He didn't deflate 'a football', he had every ball he touched deflated, for quite possibly far longer than anyone realised... and suddenly became a significantly worse player when forced to compete on a level playing field. If a league's position is that player's off field morality is a lesser issue but the integrity of the on field competition is sacrosanct, that's a messed up set of priorities, but it's a business. Also, you don't need to suspend a player if he's already in prison (which the wife beaters should be). The fact that crime is legal if you're rich enough is the real problem there.

Raw underground title, kind of implies they've given up on having fans back any time soon. Because obviously having a no-rope ring set-up, you couldn't do that in the same ring as your regular matches without super long intermissions and that. Also, the best candidate for Underground champion is on Smackdown (but should be suspended at the very least).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

The NFL’s investigations have also been criticized for overstepping their bounds and acting like criminal investigations rather than merely an employer’s. 

Yet, the NFL is more credible than WWE.

Also, WWE performers aren't employees. So why do (or even feign) investigations at all?

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Haha 1

Someone here, maybe @Craig H, recommended checking out Ryback's interview with Rusev and I definitely second that.  I'm about halfway through and Rusev's story is pretty awful.  From Vince telling him the "Rusev Day" chants were just fans fucking with him, Vince justifying Rusev's merch selling out by suggesting maybe they just didn't have a lot of his merch on hand to begin with, HHH coming out and telling him straight up that there would be no more marquee names after Cena.  God damn.

The "Cena is going to be our last marquee name" thing really shows you where WWE is right now.  Vince was so burned by big names leaving in the past that he figured that the best way to get around that was not to make new stars but, instead, to just not rely on stars anymore and try to position the company as the draw. 

It reminds me of a tech article I just read about Apple and the lifecycle of tech companies, where a great company starts as innovator, then becomes the standard, then evolves into just another service provider.  I feel like this is where WWE's strategy has gotten them.  Vince changed the wrestling landscape in the 80s, killing off the territories, bringing the business national, getting on PPV (phase 1).  Then "WWF" (or WWE) became synonymous with wrestling (phase 2).   Now they're content to just be a content provider for large networks, offering a bland product that they feel is safe from ups and downs.  Steady earnings is the idea and WWE has become this boring thing consumed by older people because it's familiar.  WWE is NCIS/CSI/whatever police procedural your grandparents watch.  It's never going to die but it's never going to reach highs again if they keep trying to make WWE the star of the show instead of building actual wrestlers that capture fans' imaginations.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

It's amazing that someone with as much ego as Vince has basically given up. Maybe it's just a factor of age at this point. He's already had his success and he doesn't care about the future. 

His company is making more money than it ever has, he's on network television, he is worth billions.  Couple those successes with a large dose of narcissism:  All WWE's failures are someone else's fault or are happening because of extenuating circumstances.  The competition's success is only happening because of (insert excuse here).  In his own mind, he hasn't given up; he's thriving.  WWE is just one faux edgy angle or one Thunderdome away from being super hot again and these dumbshit fans just need to realize it.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah, I guess hubris makes more sense. 

It is absolutely hubris. Wrestling used to be "I'd better book something the people like or I'm going to lose my ass."  Now it's "I'll tell these people what to like and if they refuse, I'll just keep doing it until they realize I'm right."  And Vince has the time and money to wait forever, or so he thinks.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

It is absolutely hubris. Wrestling used to be "I'd better book something the people like or I'm going to lose my ass."  Now it's "I'll tell these people what to like and if they refuse, I'll just keep doing it until they realize I'm right."  And Vince has the time and money to wait forever, or so he thinks.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Totally forgot about both of those. Renee: "It runs on an axis." completely matter-of-fact... Hey AJ, egg, meet face ?

Between AJ's flat earth shit and Strowman's bitching about guys who lost their jobs "looking for a handout" (not to mention calling Meltzer "fake news"), I vacillate from day to day speculating which of the two is more likely to be a birther and believer in QAnon.

2 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Between AJ's flat earth shit and Strowman's bitching about guys who lost their jobs "looking for a handout" (not to mention calling Meltzer "fake news"), I vacillate from day to day speculating which of the two is more likely to be a birther and believer in QAnon.

Why not both? 

• Like 5