DVDVR Message Board

AUG 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Is it bad most of the time I watch ECW on the Network, I have a second window on YouTube with the proper entrance music's lined up? (I also do this with pretty much any dubbed stuff on the Network/NJ World)

• Like 8

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

People also seem to hate the music they use for Valiant instead of Boy From NYC. 

The thing that makes that bad is that it is so loud that you can't hear any of the promos or commentary.   I mean there was a 4 minute segment who the entire song played and you couldn't hear a word of it.  I hope that isn't happening on the 1984-1985 part of Mid Atlantic

6 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

For the chain wrestling. You know, when New Jack hits people with a bicycle chain.

I'll show myself out.

If Gorilla Monsoon ever called a New Jack match, do you think he'd call him "The Excellence Of Execution"?

• Like 3

You know for all the talk about how weekly TV wrestling booking today is killing the house show, and PPV business by giving away big matches. World Class from 83‘ does it every week without having to advertise house shows. They even have clean finishes(well clean finishes for its time) occasionally. I can see where AEW gets their booking structure from. Big marquee match on top, with matches, and segments featuring stars that will lead into another marquee match the following week. Rinse, and repeat. They ain’t afraid to do this shit

This is the best 80’s wrestling show, period. Especially now that I’m watching this in order. “Best Of’s” don’t do this justice.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Shame on the people that try to convince me “In The Ghetto” is a good substitute. Not only does it sound cheap, you also can’t here any of the match audio because of the issues with ECW’s audio recording. I honestly stopped bothering with ECW on the network at some point because of it. It reminds me of how I couldn’t stand the redubbing of The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

This happened with me, too. I wanted to do a watch of ECW, but the music on the Network kills it. The one that finally broke me is that on GAC2001, they replaced 'Renegades of Funk' in the opening with some slow ass shit that sounds like it's from a bad attitude era match hype video. It sounds like it belongs in a promo for an Undertaker/Mankind match, totally changes the vibe.

15 hours ago, odessasteps said:

People also seem to hate the music they use for Valiant instead of Boy From NYC. 

I honestly didn't even know that wasn't his music.

14 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Somebody is actually streaming ECW right now with original music on Twitch right now if you’re interested.

There's an project going on to redub all of the ECW stuff with the original music. They've got most of the TV and a bunch of other stuff already done. It's great.

10 hours ago, hammerva said:

The thing that makes that bad is that it is so loud that you can't hear any of the promos or commentary.   I mean there was a 4 minute segment who the entire song played and you couldn't hear a word of it.  I hope that isn't happening on the 1984-1985 part of Mid Atlantic

It was enough to make me side with Ole and Hansen when they smashed it! Although Jimmy '80s New Jack' Valiant is a gimmick I can get behind.

• Like 1

It’s amazing how Pioneer’s ECW videos somehow work better, than WWE’s version of the same footage. I think they have to workaround certain licensing issues too, but I don’t remember them having to call Joey back in to re-record his commentary. And Natural Born Killaz is heard in its entirety on every video release. No editing out New Jack matches whatsoever.

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

You know for all the talk about how weekly TV wrestling booking today is killing the house show, and PPV business by giving away big matches. World Class from 83‘ does it every week without having to advertise house shows. They even have clean finishes(well clean finishes for its time) occasionally. I can see where AEW gets their booking structure from. Big marquee match on top, with matches, and segments featuring stars that will lead into another marquee match the following week. Rinse, and repeat. They ain’t afraid to do this shit

This is the best 80’s wrestling show, period. Especially now that I’m watching this in order. “Best Of’s” don’t do this justice.

Where can I purchase such a collection? I’d like to delve into a year in World Class or Mid-South since I only got WWF as a kid. 

13 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

Where can I purchase such a collection? I’d like to delve into a year in World Class or Mid-South since I only got WWF as a kid. 

Both are on the Network.

4 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

What’s interesting is the syndicated show also gives part of the picture. WCCW experts will tell you that you need to also watch the FT Worth weekly TV that helps fill in gaps. It also had long matches and promos but not necessarily quality matches. JC says that TV gave him tons of mic time to help him craft his promo ability. 

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

What’s interesting is the syndicated show also gives part of the picture. WCCW experts will tell you that you need to also watch the FT Worth weekly TV that helps fill in gaps. It also had long matches and promos but not necessarily quality matches. JC says that TV gave him tons of mic time to help him craft his promo ability. 

Is there a full list/documentation of all Fort Worth TV that's floating around out there? It seems like there's tons of individual matches out there on random comps and Youtube, but complete TV episodes are few and far between that would fill out the picture, at least on Youtube/Dailymotion/etc.

5 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Having this on ESPN every day after school made me a huge fan of the promotion.  I got to see the entire promotion in like a 2 year period.

Edited by alstein

QIGRT5Y3ONCBFLQJZTGB6QQ6FA.png

That's the creep. No wonder he had to sneak in. In a straight up fight Sonya would probably kick his ass. 

* edit to add *

He kinda looks like a taller, skinnier, much more pathetic Swoggle. 

Edited by BrianS81177
  • Like 9

4 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

QIGRT5Y3ONCBFLQJZTGB6QQ6FA.png

That's the creep. No wonder he had to sneak in. In a straight up fight Sonya would probably kick his ass. 

* edit to add *

He kinda looks like a taller, skinnier, much more pathetic Swoggle. 

Between shit like this and some of the male fans getting WAYYYY too familiar at autograph signings, it might be time for WWE to invest in some security for their female talent. It's probably money well spent.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I know I'm late to the party, but did anyone notice this week's Smackdown episode was rated TV 14? The rating bug wasn't present until they came back from break with Big E & Morrison in the back. Not sure if it's for the increased man vs woman interaction, or the violent themes of Retribution. But it's the first TV 14 show since what? 2008? 2009? Wonder if they are tinkering and testing short term or if there's a possibility Smackdown stays a little more adult in theme? Kinda bizarre to just throw it out there like that.

I talked about this a long while back with AEW being more adult, and FOX more cruder in content, it was only a matter of time before the content would get “Edgy” again. People thought this wouldn’t be the case, but with overall TV ratings down they have to convince people to watch again somehow. Tame wrestling that doesn’t push boundaries of decency won’t do it. Sponsors won’t necessarily be happy, but I’m sure they are doing their best to tell them this is the right thing to do.

Also Fox were expecting the highs of the attitude era when they got Smackdown. They thought wrestling was going to make the big turnaround with national TV. That didn’t happen at all.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

WOW I'm glad Sonya Deville is okay,   throw that man under the jail. I can only speak on WWE but they have not done enough to protect the women there.  Very little if any security.  It also doesn't help that management and company men put the women right it harm's way because "respect the biz". 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT
  • Like 3