Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

Recommended Posts

I thought he broke his arm trying SSP's in someone's pool because he had the Super Liger matches coming up?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Super Liger was 1/4/1997, so the arm break in SMW was a little less than 3 years prior.

I've heard the story as him practicing the move before Night Of Legends, and I think that it came out of Cornette's mouth, so I don't know if that makes it more believable or less. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I thought he broke his arm trying SSP's in someone's pool because he had the Super Liger matches coming up?

 

10 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

Super Liger was 1/4/1997, so the arm break in SMW was a little less than 3 years prior.

I've heard the story as him practicing the move before Night Of Legends, and I think that it came out of Cornette's mouth, so I don't know if that makes it more believable or less. 

For whatever reason, sites (like IMDB) have the story wrong. It happened when he was rehearsing it in the ring before the Night of Legends show.

The genesis of him trying to do it though began in Japan when he was with Ultimo Dragon, and he tried it off a diving board into a pool. Fast forward some time later, he failed doing it and landed on his head. In fact, he had screwed it up many times in practice. Then, he was going to try it again at another show but the show got cancelled. So he asked Cornette if he could rehearse it before the Night of Legends show. Cornette said yes as long as he didn't get hurt. He got hurt. There you go.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cobra Commander said:

Loser gets the Coronavirus: Chris Jericho vs Orange Cassidy

They can finally do AEW: Hog Wild at Sturges. Main Event:  Chris Jericho vs Orange Cassidy in a COVID Death Match.

Link to post
Share on other sites

"in response to complaints, we have changed this match stipulation to a 'Coronavirus antibodies on a pole' match"

(match ends with the heel losing and breaking the vial of antibodies)

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ohtani's jacket said:

I didn't know about these Mean Gene outakes until the Kamala thread. I feel as though I've waited my whole life for these:

 

Tree f'n mendous. Never knew Al DeRusha worked for them...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Natural said:

This. Company man Seth strikes again. Foot in mouth syndrome.

the kicker is that there's a lot of truth in what he's saying. of course, what he's NOT saying is definitely more interesting.

long-form storytelling IS a lost art [in WWE]. the [WWE] audience doesn't appreciate slow burn angles [due in large part to WWE hot shotting angles to pop ratings, the decline of long term booking, angles being dropped with little/no/disappointing payoff, and ramifications being seemingly nonexistant.]

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2020 at 12:30 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

The tag title scene in the 80's was so great...   I'm not sure what happened to Vince.   Hart Foundation,  Rockers,  Powers of Pain, Brain Busters,  British Bulldogs, Killer Bees, Twin Towers, Strike Force,  Demolition,  on and on and on....    so many great teams.  

 

On 8/8/2020 at 1:47 PM, Brian Fowler said:

Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels happened, proving to Vince the only purpose of a tag team is to find a main event star.

Also, the 90s happened.  In the 80s they were running like 2-4 separate crews on any given week.  The World Champ would lead the A-crew, the IC the B, the Tag Champs the C, and then some high school could buy a fundraiser and get a Killer Bees/Bolsheviks main.  The 90s come around and syndication dies, PPV is the big revenue source and business is down so they've got just one crew usually running in the Northeast with the occasional Euro tour and they're letting guys do indies cause they don't have enough work for them.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Also, during the budget cutting of the mid 90s, a tag match employs 4 wrestlers, while a singles match is just 2. 

I've heard with Vince that a tag team is just one extra person to pay.

With that said, that's why you saw so many makeshift or frenemies tag teams (Yoko/Owen, Shawn/Austin, Spark Plug/Kid, Bam Bam/Tatanka, etc.) at that time. Once they had to do real tag team programs, it was barren as fuck. How many Godwinns/Smoking Gunns matches can you do? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I've heard with Vince that a tag team is just one extra person to pay.

With that said, that's why you saw so many makeshift or frenemies tag teams (Yoko/Owen, Shawn/Austin, Spark Plug/Kid, Bam Bam/Tatanka, etc.) at that time. Once they had to do real tag team programs, it was barren as fuck. How many Godwinns/Smoking Gunns matches can you do? 

The real highlight of that tag team era was The Headshrinkers... until they started wearing shoes. Man they couldn't buy a win once they started wearing shoes.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wyld Samurai said:

The real highlight of that tag team era was The Headshrinkers... until they started wearing shoes. Man they couldn't buy a win once they started wearing shoes.

The Headshrinkers had very interesting theme music.  And, now, all these years later, I realize that their name was really poor, as headshrinking (And, yes, I did google this!) was a staple of Amazon-area tribes and not really a Samoan practice.  Just real shit work by WWF creative.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...