DVDVR Message Board

AUG 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

23 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

More concerning to me is the potential health risks associated with second-hand Fozzy concert.

The sad truth is people will catch it and be asymptomatic. Thinking they’re fine and infect those around them after the concert. People travel from all over the country for Sturgis. This could potentially be extremely dangerous. 

47 minutes ago, Casey said:

Looking at the bands playing in Sturgis while the Rally is happening... jesus christ, it's like a portal back to the mid-2000s.

Bands such as:

Molly Hatchet, The Guess Who, Trapt, Smashmouth, Nightranger, Kenny Wayne Shepard, Buckcherry, Saliva, Drowning Pool (w/o the dead guy), Lit, 38 Special, Quiet Riot, Reverend Horton Heat, Bone Thugs-n-Harmony, and more!

Seriously though, AEW should take Jericho off TV for a few weeks so they don't kill Orange Cassidy

13 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels happened, proving to Vince the only purpose of a tag team is to find a main event star.

Even as a fan there was a sense of culpability as after HBK/Bret you were always wondering who the breakout talent from a team was going to be, not realising HBK and Bret were essentially flukes. I mean who else is there? Booker T? Jeff Hardy? 

14 minutes ago, hobo joe said:

Bands such as:

Molly Hatchet, The Guess Who, Trapt, Smashmouth, Nightranger, Kenny Wayne Shepard, Buckcherry, Saliva, Drowning Pool (w/o the dead guy), Lit, 38 Special, Quiet Riot, Reverend Horton Heat, Bone Thugs-n-Harmony, and more!

Seriously though, AEW should take Jericho off TV for a few weeks so they don't kill Orange Cassidy

Whaaaaaaaaaaaa?

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, BurningBeard said:

Even as a fan there was a sense of culpability as after HBK/Bret you were always wondering who the breakout talent from a team was going to be, not realising HBK and Bret were essentially flukes. I mean who else is there? Booker T? Jeff Hardy? 

Edge?

30 minutes ago, BurningBeard said:

There's an argument for Edge, even though Christian got over organically a few times and they never really went to the next level with it. 

But your point is taken. Beyond that, there's not much. Shelton Benjamin's decade long run as a midcarder isn't prime HOF material. Rene Dupree didn't set the world on fire. Simmons was winding it down and they did a gimmick change before they went with Bradshaw. Heck, as much as I love Otis and can tell he's the clear standout in that team, they'll probably come to realize he's best left with Tucker. 

Edit: Dang it, Brian.

Edited by Andy in Kansas

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Chris Jericho takes AJ Styles' biggest idiot in wrestling title. 

Wait, did Flip Gordon and Will Ospreay retire?

14 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Heck, as much as I love Otis and can tell he's the clear standout in that team, they'll probably come to realize he's best left with Tucker. 

Otis doesn't have a prayer outside of a tag team. I could actually see Tucky getting repackaged and having a decent midcard solo career. He'll actually take bumps, for one thing.

12 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

How does everyone feel about Billy Gunn? ...Or does it matter?

The story on him is his asthma would have made it hard on him as a singles. Regardless, I throw him on the Dupree pile as a guy they tried and couldn't make it work. 

2 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

Otis doesn't have a prayer outside of a tag team. I could actually see Tucky getting repackaged and having a decent midcard solo career. He'll actually take bumps, for one thing.

In my heart I know that. His qualities as a goof are such that I can forgive a lot. But you need someone standing next to him to be the straight man.

Realistically, almost anyone on that roster has a better chance at a serious singles run. And not just for the reason you offered up. 

I think Billy Gunn was a pretty decent tag guy. They tried a couple times to run with him in singles, but he wound up back in tags for good reason. Road Dogg was the better wrestler and the better talker and had more charisma though, but Billy had the look.... But they were definitely a case of "the whole is greater than the sum of the parts"

(I also think Christian was better than Edge at damn near everything, but Edge was the anointed star from the word "go")

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eivion said:

Seriously? Bull wasn't particularly skinny/lanky in the 80s so this is surprising to hear.

She mentioned in an interview that she struggled to get from 92kg to 100kg and had to use steroids. 

EDIT: Chris Charlton translated parts of the interview here (the Baba McDonalds story is funny):

Edited by ohtani's jacket
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ohtani's jacket said:

She mentioned in an interview that she struggled to get from 92kg to 100kg and had to use steroids. 

EDIT: Chris Charlton translated parts of the interview here (the Baba McDonalds story is funny):

Thanks for this. That was interesting minor bits of insight into a lot of the big 80s names dojo days.

• Like 2

In those days, they wanted the heels to be big like Monster Ripper. Dump and Aja had the same demands placed on them. 

I didn't read the interview carefully, but the reason Bull retired is because she wrecked the ligaments in her knees. Eventually, she needed artificial knee replacement. She had to lose weight to have the operation, but she couldn't exercise because of her knees, so I believe she had a gastric bypass and then had her knees done. That's why she looks so thin right now. 

• Like 2

For as spot-on as his creative and business choices have been over the years, Jericho’s common-sense judgement leaves something to be desired  if his openness to loony conspiracies isn’t a podcast gimmick, and based on this fucking idiotic concert. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, ohtani's jacket said:

In those days, they wanted the heels to be big like Monster Ripper. Dump and Aja had the same demands placed on them. 

Which is funny because Ripper wasn't that big in her first run with AJW. When she came back later, she was super sized with unfortunately half her former ability. I think that's why they had mixed results with the foreigners later on. Reggie Bennett had an okay run, but they also had Terri Power (aka WWF's Tori on gas) who was too big to even move around with those girls who can work circles around her. Even with Reggie, some of those matches were rough.

And yeah, Chris Charlton is where I heard that since I follow him on Twitter. Thank you on that.

4 hours ago, ohtani's jacket said:

. I didn't read the interview carefully, but the reason Bull retired is because she wrecked the ligaments in her knees. Eventually, she needed artificial knee replacement. She had to lose weight to have the operation, but she couldn't exercise because of her knees, so I believe she had a gastric bypass and then had her knees done. That's why she looks so thin right now. 

To be fair, I think plenty of those women have needed knee and hip replacements. IIRC while researching/double checking something I was going post here recently, I think I saw a story about Lioness Asuka having one or both of her hips replaced. I think that was the reason she couldn't actually physically participate in one of those reunion/retirement shows not too far back. I'm not shocked. There was a video I shared here from a six woman tag w/ her at those AJW studio shows outside circa 2000 during a downpour where she does a diving footstomp, slips due to the rain, and her hips (and the back of her head) crack on that hard ass Japanese table on the way down. Absolutely brutal. AND SHE JUST KEEPS ON WORKING! A complete and utter mad woman. Those matches with KAORU in GAEA where also insane because they just decided to kill each other for half an hour, dangerous spot after dangerous spot, until they had nothing physically left.

As for Bull, by 1994 and certainly early 95, you can tell she was on borrowed time. I watched her WWF title match with Kyoko from March 1995, and she's moving around with such a deliberate pace. She's basically calling spots on camera off irish whips, and they do them. No rhyme or reason. Just spots. The crowd is basically dead. There are some ugly moments in the match where Kyoko royally fucks up a sunset flip and Bull is pissed. Then, they do a superplex spot (I THINK) where they both tumble to the outside causing Bull to land on her head. The crowd finally gets into it at the end but it kinda ends abruptly with a somersault guillotine legdrop. I don't think anyone believed Kyoko was winning. I dunno how Dave rated that ****1/2. I think someone told him that it was ****1/2, and he went with it. It was a good match save for the blown spots early on, but Kyoko had an off night (even the turnaround second rope springboard dropkick looked like shit) and Bull was certainly not at her best.

You can see at that point, Bull needed smoke and mirrors to have a great match. That Kandori chain match from 1994 was great because she didn't need to be physical the entire match. A lot of it was working the crowd, brawling, clever psychology, Bull at points fighting from underneath, and a couple of well timed bladejobs. You could have put that match in the Mid South Coliseum, in Mid-Atlantic, or any territory back in the heyday, and it wouldn't have looked out of place. Her knees weren't going to hold up doing the matches she use to do. I'm pretty sure the coup de grace was the Nitro match with Ozaki and Cuty vs. Bull and Akira right after World War III 95 where Hokuto came down with all her weight on a somersault plancha on Bull's right knee, which dislocated it. Bull said as much in an interview from earlier this year. It makes me wonder if they hadn't gone so balls to the wall if she could have had a longer career. As is, her body was a ticking time bomb.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

The story on him is his asthma would have made it hard on him as a singles. Regardless, I throw him on the Dupree pile as a guy they tried and couldn't make it work. 

In my heart I know that. His qualities as a goof are such that I can forgive a lot. But you need someone standing next to him to be the straight man.

Realistically, almost anyone on that roster has a better chance at a serious singles run. And not just for the reason you offered up. 

The other dude in Street Profits is essentially D'Lo Brown. Thats about where I see his ceiling. A shame we don't have the European Championship.