DVDVR Message Board

AUG 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

25 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Bray would have to do something to get cancelled for them to release him.  He's likely a top 5 merchandise seller.  Braun is a huge dude that lives and breathes WWE.  Again, something really awful would have to happen for them to release him. 

Not only would it have to be something awful, we have also recently been given a pretty good indication of what isn't awful enough! So yeah, this would have to be pretty damn horrible! Also, not buying it! Except for Mauro.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Braun had the worst reign probably since Swagger if not all time.  Mauro can do boxing/MMA.  Bray i was perplexed at too but Vince did turn 75 today and anything is possible in the World Wrestling errrrrr...

It's ok to just admit that you read from a dumb source and didn't consider how dumb that in and of itself can be.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Miz's point is basically that you have to push hard to make the people in charge understand/believe you should be in a top spot, and Kofi never really did that before or after his title reign. Big E is sort of trying to just leave it at white privilege and racism. Neither are quite wrong here and are kind of putting on tunnel vision to believe its just one or the other in WWE. In Miz's case its just a bit more worrying since there is a potential need for education on privilege. 

The fact that the first time we ever heard of The Miz was on a season of the Real World where he pretty much spent the entire season having this exact conversation makes me want to give him a little less benefit of the doubt as some of you.  

The thing about privilege is that it is that it is discussed as a micro issue when it is a macro issue.  The fact that Miz didn't get another run at the top isn't because he's white, we've seen time and time again that white guys get plenty of second chances.  Honestly, the fact that he got that run at the top with as little experience that he had at the time is kind of amazing when you think about it.  There hasn't been a black person in the history of the company that would have ever been given that opportunity.  I'm 38 years old and have been a wrestling fan for as long as I can remember, and the only black wrestler who ever got a sustained run at the top literally became the biggest movie star on the planet.  That shouldn't be the standard.  Jackie Robinson's autobiography is called, "I Never had it Made," because he was tired of white people using him as an example of why other black people had an honest chance.  His point was that he was Jackie Fucking Robinson, and it's unfair to everyone involved to compare average people to superstar athletes.  No one has ever told a white person who didn't get an opportunity, "hey, Mickey Mantle did it, why can't you," because we all know that the average white dude isn't Mickey Mantle.  The Miz, who is probably underrated at this point, was not very good when he was champion.  He had a bit of charisma, and wasn't horrible on the mic, but his ring work was pretty rough back then.  He won the main even of Wrestlemania.  Kingston, who had been working for the company for years, is a good in-ring performer, who is part of one of the most over acts in the company gets jobbed out in 10 seconds so they can plan for Wrestlemania.  That is a huge difference, especially when you take into consideration how few black wrestlers get those kinds of opportunities.  Seriously, you can say for a fact that the fact that The Miz didn't get another title run isn't because he's white because pretty much every champion since has been white.  You can't say that about any black champion, because if a black dude wins once everyone starts patting themselves on the back about giving him an opportunity.  The fact that people are still patting themselves on the back for this shit in 2020 is an acknowledgement of their own racism.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 14

27 minutes ago, supremebve said:

The fact that the first time we ever heard of The Miz was on a season of the Real World where he pretty much spent the entire season having this exact conversation makes me want to give him a little less benefit of the doubt as some of you.  

I never watched Real World. 

10 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I never watched Real World. 

His black castmates constantly yelled at him for never considering the fact that his life experiences aren't universal.  He went on a show that is basically an exercise in learning about other people's experiences and didn't realize that other people may have different experiences.  With that said, they all became friends by the end.  

• Like 2

Meltzer has apparently likened the Thunderdome's coordinated fan reactions to North Korea.  

Yes, Dave, because fake crowd noise isn't being done by AEW, NBA, NHL, MLB, EPL, UEFA, MLS, and basically every sports league on the planet. 

Oh, and Vince McMahon is well known to murder people who do not follow his plans. And their families.  And their friends. And starve others on a whim. 

God, fuck you Dave.  

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

Yeah, as someone who watched the Real World and saw what Miz was like back then, this isn't surprising at all. First of all, Miz is fucking dumb. Like, mad dumb. He's at least evolved quite a bit, but he still has a lot to learn.

Secondly, that video bums me out a lot and makes me wish the New Day didn't re-sign.

On Bray - If Dream still has a job in NXT then Bray isn't going anywhere any time soon.

On Miz - I don't think he was in any way speaking from a position of privilege. He was bullied and belittled for a long time in his early WWE days and I think he still holds that anger/resentment because it drives him to keep getting better. I wouldn't be shocked to find out he has a picture of JBL up on his gym door just so he can tell the guy to go fuck himself every day.

Big E sees the undeniable history of black stars in WWE and feels that Kofi was held back because of that. Yes he waited a long time, but outside of a run with Orton, there was never really a massive push from the fans for Kofi to be world champion.

The rematch thing following the Lesnar loss was bullshit though. He gets smashed, drops the title to the 'real sports' guy to keep FOX happy and then Lesnar moves over to RAW anyway. That was shit.

Hopefully when he comes back he gets to go up against The Fiend. I think Bray could have alot of fun messing with the New Day. Fiend drops the belt to Kofi then Big E can be all "Hey, about that singles run I'm meant to be having..." and we get some good face/face work with those two.

Kofi (champ) v Big E (Rumble Winner) with Xavier Woods as special ref at Mania?