DVDVR Message Board

AUG 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

The match at Unstoppable against Becky Lynch is also a classic and is my favorite match from the company in the '10s up through 2016. 

Sasha had at least three classics in NXT. Don't give a fuck if she rehearsed them. Randy Savage rehearsed his shit and is one of the three greatest wrestlers of all time.

• Like 10

I always laughed at the "rehearsed" talk for NXT performers because that's exactly what the house shows are in WWE.  You are working with a lot of the same people you work on TV and PPV and they do a lot of the same spots and they do a lot of the same finishes. It's a form of practice. 

As for the classics talk, I don't know I don't throw around the word classic often,  I can see someone saying the other matches are classics too but Brooklyn is one of those rare undeniable classics that 99% of people would agree on.  

Of course it's all subjective but we are here to debate it. 

• Like 1

I don't care about star ratings, and people can think whatever matches they want are classics. It's all subjective. I do like giving Niners shit for his Sasha love, but we all have that wrestler that we stan for pretty hard. (Usually) there's no malice meant in what I say.

But, anyway... since I brought up star ratings, if you want to compare all of the Four Horsewomen's Meltzer ratings - for matches 4 stars and above, Sasha is actually tied with Charlotte in how many they have (10 each, some with each other obviously). Becky has 7, and Bayley only has 5 surprisingly.

Of course those star ratings are dependent on ProFightDB being accurate and having all of the ratings he's given out for their matches. Which I honestly don't think is accurate. You're telling me since 2014 that Meltzer has only rated 46 Bayley matches? Seems like it should be more.

• Like 2

I don't just have one guy/woman I love Bret is certainly another,  Sting is another. Daniel Bryan is close for me.  One of Meltzer's guys is Okada clearly.  I like Okada a lot and he has a formula and he's very good about adding wrinkles to that formula especially in big matches but damn.. it can be a very ordinary Okada match and Dave is still going to give it 4 stars. Before the bell rings it's 4 stars. That's just how Dave is we all have our preferences.  Again, I really like Okada but sometimes Dave is going to go overboard for his guys and undersell most everything WWE. 

Okada vs. Omega where Kenny wins the title is one of my favorite matches of the last 5 years.   I love love love Okada vs. Shibata but I don't love what happened to Shibata as a result.

I have no point to any of this,  Dave is Dave. ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Casey said:

I don't care about star ratings, and people can think whatever matches they want are classics. It's all subjective. I do like giving Niners shit for his Sasha love, but we all have that wrestler that we stan for pretty hard. (Usually) there's no malice meant in what I say.

Exactly. I don't hate someone just because I disagree with them. They have a right to think what they think just as I do.

6 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

The match at Unstoppable against Becky Lynch is also a classic and is my favorite match from the company in the '10s up through 2016. 

Sasha had at least three classics in NXT. Don't give a fuck if she rehearsed them. Randy Savage rehearsed his shit and is one of the three greatest wrestlers of all time.

It was all over twitter yesterday that Sasha and Bayley couldn't rehearse the matches. If they'd gone into a ring and started doing those spots, there were male wrestlers in NXT at the time who would have gone to the office and complained, and the office would have told Sasha and Bayley to not do the spots.

1 hour ago, AxB said:

It was all over twitter yesterday that Sasha and Bayley couldn't rehearse the matches. If they'd gone into a ring and started doing those spots, there were male wrestlers in NXT at the time who would have gone to the office and complained, and the office would have told Sasha and Bayley to not do the spots.

Here it is:

15 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

I knew this would be problematic as soon as Miz started physically reacting to what Big E was saying.  And the weird thing is that these guys are friends with each other.  Heck, Miz is on New Day's pod this week and still does UUDD.  I don't know if they ever had these type of conversations before but while I get what Miz was trying to say according to this he could use an education of sorts.

That said the fact that WWE put this on their Youtube channel makes me wonder if people will see this as a work of sorts to get attention.  I sure hope not because of all the way to hype Miz up as a shit stirrer on Talking Smack having him display white privilege would be the worst way to do that.

4 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

That said the fact that WWE put this on their Youtube channel makes me wonder if people will see this as a work of sorts to get attention.  I sure hope not because of all the way to hype Miz up as a shit stirrer on Talking Smack having him display white privilege would be the worst way to do that.

I'd lean toward probably not a work because, in Vince's belief system, Big E would be the heel here. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Rovert mentioned Mauro, Bray and Braun being shitcanned by WWE?  Any truth to this? It would be news to me. 

Were that the actual case, Otis would've cashed in on Bray after he got nuked by Roman last night, not wait until Friday.

Also, who the fuck listens to Rovert seriously?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

Were that the actual case, Otis would've cashed in on Bray after he got nuked by Roman last night, not wait until Friday.

Also, who the fuck listens to Rovert seriously?

it was a question jesus.  I can easily respond with "who the fuck listens to Dave seriously" and would be just as accurate. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I knew this would be problematic as soon as Miz started physically reacting to what Big E was saying.  And the weird thing is that these guys are friends with each other.  Heck, Miz is on New Day's pod this week and still does UUDD.  I don't know if they ever had these type of conversations before but while I get what Miz was trying to say according to this he could use an education of sorts.

I think Miz is probably White Priveleging a bit, but the thing is this

- Miz is a career heel

- Kingston is a career babyface

And those paths have different trajectories. The truth is Kingston received a very strong push on ECW, questionable accent or not, and was consistently strongly booked at upper midcard level, receiving many secondary title and tag title reigns. Miz' push has been a lot more inconsistent, and he is arguably the more rounded pro-wrestler.

If we were having this conversation about Mark Henry, I'd actually be more into it. Kofi has had an amazing career, but he only really became interesting in the New Day and he's arguably the lesast talented member.

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Miz's point is basically that you have to push hard to make the people in charge understand/believe you should be in a top spot, and Kofi never really did that before or after his title reign. Big E is sort of trying to just leave it at white privilege and racism. Neither are quite wrong here and are kind of putting on tunnel vision to believe its just one or the other in WWE. In Miz's case its just a bit more worrying since there is a potential need for education on privilege. 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Miz's point is basically that you have to push hard to make the people in charge understand/believe you should be in a top spot, and Kofi never really did that before or after his title reign. Big E is sort of trying to just leave it at white privilege and racism. Neither are quite wrong here and are kind of putting on tunnel vision to believe its just one or the other in WWE. In Miz's case its just a bit more worrying since there is a potential need for education on privilege. 

Considering Miz is friends with Big E/New Day I don't think he meant to come across the way he did.  For all his faults Miz seems like a pretty great guy and I'm hoping after this he had a better discussion with Big E.  But while the truth might be in the middle somewhere I'm on Big E's side.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Rovert mentioned Mauro, Bray and Braun being shitcanned by WWE?  Any truth to this? It would be news to me. 

Of course! VKM held a meeting and said "Who are our biggest merch sellers? Good, let's fire one, pals!" "Hey, while we're at it, let's get rid of our new Universal Champion! That'll keep 'em guessing, pal!"

1 hour ago, paintedbynumbers said:

it was a question jesus.  I can easily respond with "who the fuck listens to Dave seriously" and would be just as accurate. 

*smh* Go home, son, you're drunk!