DVDVR Message Board

AUG 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Apparently the entire NXT:UK roster was told to assemble in London today, to take Covid tests. So presumably they will soon resume sexually harassing underage fans taping new episodes.

See how The Rock is the new owner of the XFL*? If he starts offering the TV rights around to various TV Networks, and the one that comes back with the best offer turns out to be TNT, does that oblige him to show up on Dynamite to promote it?

* I think he owns the XFL in the same way as Jay-Z owned the Brooklyn Nets. He's a minority shareholder as part of a group of investors, who is being the public face of the brand because he's famously succesful.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, AxB said:

* I think he owns the XFL in the same way as Jay-Z owned the Brooklyn Nets. He's a minority shareholder as part of a group of investors, who is being the public face of the brand because he's famously succesful.

I don't think that's a proper comparison. The Nets are a NBA franchise valued at a much higher price tag. As a result, Jay-Z owned like 1.5 percent that went down to 1/15th a percent or something crazy like that. I think the league made a rule after he sold his shares in the team about how low a stake you can have in a team to be considered an owner. With the XFL, Dwayne could find shit under his couch cushions and secret stashes around the house to buy the XFL. So he is likely part of the ownership group that owns the entirety of the league unlike say the Miami Dolphins where like a gazillion random celebs/other athletes own (or owned cause I haven't looked at the current breakdown) like less than 1 percent to 1 percent of the team each.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Thanks 1

On 8/20/2020 at 7:41 PM, Ziggy said:

I think Kofi and CM Punks tag title win was the last title change on a house show. The New Generation era had the most non televised title changes but i still think Bret vs Flair title change could've been a bigger deal but I also think its a telling sign of how little value Vince saw in Flair by the end of his run.

Punk & Kofi won them on RAW, but lost them on a house show. A few years later, Kofi & Evan Bourne losing the tags to Primo & Epico was I believe the last on a house show. 

On 8/21/2020 at 5:13 PM, AxB said:

Can anyone think of any Wrestlers who have, in the space of one calendar year, wrestled for WWE, Impact and RoH? Because I know Matt and Jeff Hardy had that one month where they did all three (doing Mania week ROH vs the Bucks and then Wrestling at Mania as well), and Alex Shelley has done all three this year (because he's not signed anywhere), but is that the only three? And is there any way we can get Shelley an AEW booking so he can be the first to do the new American promotional Grand Slam.

Deonna Purazzo in either 2016 or 2017 (NXT, Impact, ROH) and if I remember correctly, based on the different taping dates, actually aired all in the same week. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, hammerva said:

From the WWE Untold of Bayley vs Sasha Takeover Brooklyn match

What a fucking crew of guys ?

I'm pretty sure that video is the only place you could ever find all of them hanging out at the same time.

It's insane to me Rey was 30 in 2004. Or Gordy in 1991. I know Gordy started young but I can just never put together the guy I saw wrestle with a guy that age.

I'm not clear on exactly how old some various joshi stars were when they started, but I would agree the answer aside from Gordy or Eaton would almost certainly be a luchador or a joshi worker. All Japan Women used to have a mandatory retirement age of I think 25? Which seems just absolutely batshit insane now.

22 hours ago, hammerva said:

From the WWE Untold of Bayley vs Sasha Takeover Brooklyn match

What a fucking crew of guys ?

Is that guy on the far left the dude who played Warrick on "CSI"?

Going way back, Lou Thesz broke into the business at 16 and won his first world title at 21. Ray Stevens started at 15. He turned 30 in 1965, meaning he'd had his first huge run on top in San Francisco before  that. I know it's all hearsay at this point, but Ray was apparently amazing when he was young.  

5 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Speaking of Sasha, I was checking out some stuff when discussing AEW’s young talent and was reminded that she’s still only 28, which blew me away. Got me wondering, who had the most classics before 30? Rey Jr, who didn’t turn 30 until 2004? Dustin, 1999. Hokuto, 1997. Okada 2017?

I'm sorry, but Sasha and the word "classic" being used this way just don't go together.

Edited by The Green Meanie
  • Like 2

So Keith Lee is moving to RAW immediately after losing the NXT title & shortly after vacating the North American title.

How does this make him look good in any way?

He gave up one belt in order to put all his energy into defending the other and then immediately loses & switches brands. How does that make any sense?

I also wonder what Raw gave up in the deal. With NXT being an equal brand these aren't "call ups" any more. They are trades.

Regal going to look pretty foolish giving up a double champion & default #1 contender for anything less that a premium price.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, L_W_P said:

I also wonder what Raw gave up in the deal. With NXT being an equal brand these aren't "call ups" any more. They are trades.

I know that's what they've said, but has there been any evidence of that? Shayna debuted on RAW earlier in the year, did NXT get anything for that?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

So Keith Lee is moving to RAW immediately after losing the NXT title & shortly after vacating the North American title.

How does this make him look good in any way?

He gave up one belt in order to put all his energy into defending the other and then immediately loses & switches brands. How does that make any sense?

Regal going to look pretty foolish giving up a double champion & default #1 contender for anything less that a premium price.

This is my problem with the callup system in general, the "doing the right thing" on the way out. I think it hurt Bayley the most. Why the fuck am I supposed to care about her when she can't beat Asuka, who to that point had never been on main roster tv. In legit sports, you call up young talent from the farm team when they're playing so well you can't deny them or when there's an obvious need at their position. Calling up Keith Lee right now is like calling up a guy who hasn't put up numbers to justify it yet. nXt talent should be allowed to trade their titles for a callup after they've held them a certain amount of time, especially if the goal is to use nXt as a farm system. 

Edited by just drew

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

I know that's what they've said, but has there been any evidence of that? Shayna debuted on RAW earlier in the year, did NXT get anything for that?

I don't even know anymore.

Hasn't Hunter said there is another draft coming up anyway? What's the point when everyone shows up everywhere & half the roster isn't used?