DVDVR Message Board

AUG 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

On 8/19/2020 at 7:00 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

Why did Bret win the title from Flair at a house show? 

I think it was one of those time periods where Vince thought having title changes on house shows would bring up the attendance on house shows by leaving fans to believe anything can happen.  

I wasn't fan yet but I always thought in hindsight Brets first title run was cheapened by it happening on a house show. Business was down anyway but I think if it was PPV his perception at the time would've been better as the new top guy.

I think Kofi and CM Punks tag title win was the last title change on a house show. The New Generation era had the most non televised title changes but i still think Bret vs Flair title change could've been a bigger deal but I also think its a telling sign of how little value Vince saw in Flair by the end of his run.

5 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

So the new WWE audience is now a giant Zoom meeting.

“Bruce? We can’t hear you, you night be on mute.”

*dog barks*

”Am I on mute? Hello?”

*kid crying*

”Can you guys see what I’m sharing?”

”We can’t see it, John.”

”Am I still on mute? Can you guys hear me?”

”Pronouns, god dammit”

• Haha 6

54 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

I think it was one of those time periods where Vince thought having title changes on house shows would bring up the attendance on house shows by leaving fans to believe anything can happen.  

I wasn't fan yet but I always thought in hindsight Brets first title run was cheapened by it happening on a house show.

As a kid who watched at the time, I absolutely bought into the idea that titles could change hands on those shows. It was exciting turning on Superstars and seeing Bret with the title. It was like “Holy shit, what happened, I gotta see that match.”

• Like 1

The way the NBA does the virtual fan thing is by superimposing everyone's video over images of seats, making it look like an actual arena setting as much as possible.  Something like that would look way better, all the different boxes are way too busy.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

As a kid who watched at the time, I absolutely bought into the idea that titles could change hands on those shows. It was exciting turning on Superstars and seeing Bret with the title. It was like “Holy shit, what happened, I gotta see that match.”

The only time that really had an effect on me is when I was watching Memphis TV as I had WMC-TV living in Northwest Mississippi. This wasn't the glory days, but it was great seeing Lawler hype up some match (that they were never shows clips of) on their local shows in Memphis, Southaven, MS, and some of the other places in the Mississippi Delta. He made it sound like some big time shit was going down when likely it wasn't.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The only time that really had an effect on me is when I was watching Memphis TV as I had WMC-TV living in Northwest Mississippi. This wasn't the glory days, but it was great seeing Lawler hype up some match (that they were never shows clips of) on their local shows in Memphis, Southaven, MS, and some of the other places in the Mississippi Delta. He made it sound like some big time shit was going down when likely it wasn't.

There were times when the title change took place in multiple cities during the week before the TV. They never showed the clips so each town's fans thought that they saw the title change.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, D.Z said:

Triple H said there will be a roster draft, and now Smackdown and Raw wrestlers can move to NXT.

NXT needs freshening up. Be interesting to see who moves where as it seems like the split has been enforced.

Did anyone listen to Hunter on the Bill Simmons podcast..   

Couple things of note:  He is still putting over the idea of global expansion as being one of the most important things for the future. He name dropped India,  it sounds like he still wants to do NXT [Insert Country Here] all over the world.   I understand this from a business standpoint if everything else was going well but I think they have way too many problems with ratings decreasing and attendance figures that are going to rear their ugly head once the TV money starts drying up. He also said something about WWE becoming a content/media company but I don't know what the hell he meant by that.

He was also asked about AEW.  Bill Simmons actually said "RAW lost to them in the 18-34 last week" and asked how they were handling it and Hunter kind of danced around the issue. Simmons said well with WCW it did spark the best creative era for you guys and Hunter just basically said that nobody works harder than Vince and he wouldn't bet against this company and it's history and etc. 

Simmons also asked about why is RAW 3 hours.  Is it just the money. Triple H basically said yes it's just the money and he doesn't like it, it's a challenge but it's above his pay grade. 

Then they started talking about how WWE can't "take risks" anymore like they did in The Attitude Era because it's a "sensitive" time. It almost sounded like they were bothered by the fact that they can't do the stuff they were doing ten years ago. 

Hunter said Vince can still be seen a 1am or 2am in the weight room training and that Vince eats healthy. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Hunter kind of danced around the issue.

Apparently, he did it on the Takeover XXX conference call too.

I don't think there is any other answer than, "Yeah, we're getting our asses thoroughly kicked on a regular basis." That's why you have to dance around it.

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

(...)

Couple things of note:  He is still putting over the idea of global expansion as being one of the most important things for the future. He name dropped India,  it sounds like he still wants to do NXT [Insert Country Here] all over the world.   I understand this from a business standpoint if everything else was going well but I think they have way too many problems with ratings decreasing and attendance figures that are going to rear their ugly head once the TV money starts drying up. He also said something about WWE becoming a content/media company but I don't know what the hell he meant by that.

(...)

The India stuff is the usual "1.3 billion people have to somehow equal money" thing, ignoring economical and cultural realities. Sure, there is some money to be made in India, but not nearly enough as some people seem to think.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Robert s said:

The India stuff is the usual "1.3 billion people have to somehow equal money" thing, ignoring economical and cultural realities. Sure, there is some money to be made in India, but not nearly enough as some people seem to think.

Wasn't Ring Ka King a success in India? They couldn't keep that going for more than one season.

The thing I never understood about NXT UK was why didn't they just brand it NXT Europe. They could have brought back the European championship, the UK Title would be the work horse that the US/Intercontinental is. I mean sure they crippled the UK Wrestling industry, so i guess that worked out for them.

8 hours ago, Six String Orchestra said:

Kevin Dunn is going to give me a seizure with that monstrosity. I really only watch the ppvs and individual matches I hear about so I can't complain much.

This was 100% my first thought.  WWE might be the first wrestling company to literally kill off their audience.