DVDVR Message Board

AUG 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Edit:  Okay,  I just went to the network. They don't show the match.  Bret comes out and cuts a promo as the newly crowned champion. It was at a Superstars taping but the match itself was only on Coliseum Video which still raises the question.. why.. lol

They wanted people to think that they needed to go to live events because anything, including title changes, could happen. 

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm switching between the Yankees/Rays game and nxt. I can't tell you the last time I've watched nxt. That said, I want Adam Cole to kick Pat McAfee's face off. 

Off-topic but YouTube TV dropped YES while I wasn't paying attention but they're still blacked out every other station it's on. Total bullshit

Hope Buff ends up ok, but come on man. 

7 hours ago, Ace said:

It made NXT and WWE developmental profitable.

I recall developmental being folded into NXT and it never being expected to make a profit (even stated directly by HHH on a investor's call, again my faulty memory). Maybe that was when they were doing the interstate house shows to give everybody experience, as well as spending bucks to accumulate all those international and indie talents. Was there a time after I stopped watching when NXT was making a profit or alleged to make a profit?

- RAF

4 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Bruce was quite involved in Stampede as Stu's understudy behind the scenes AFAIK, and he handled a lot of the day to day shit that wasn't worth bothering the old man with, but I can't recall too much truly noteworthy work from him in the ring.

Bruce's book is incredible, as he basically credits himself for:
-every time business turns around for Stampede, it's because of his booking, every time it fails is because his dad, one of Stu's cronies, one of his brothers or brothers-in-law take over
-Bret's outfit with the pink tights and leather jacket was Bruce's outfit and Bret ripped him off
-Bruce did a few house shows teaming with Bret against Owen and Anvil and the crowd went crazy night for their matches until Bret stooged him off to Jack Lanza who berated Bruce in front of the lockerroom for hotdogging it, costing him another chance at stardom
-Bruce wrote all of Bret's weekly columns for him, then took it away from him after Bruce did or said something he disagreed with
-As Bad Company, Bruce and Pillman were faces who acted like heels, because Pillman later teamed with Steve Austin, Bruce draws a straight-line between Bad Company and Stone Cold Steve Austin, basically implying that SCSA wouldn't have gotten where he was without Bad Company

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Bruce Hart's biggest claim to fame will always be being drunk at Canadian Stampede, wearing sunglasses and a bomber jacket, attacking Stone Cold and getting dumped over the rail. 

In Bret's book, he suggests that Vince approached him about giving Bruce the Light-Heavyweight Title and adding him to the Hart Foundation so that they could control all the gold, but when Bruce was supposed to attack Austin, he hit him with a bunch of stiff kidney punches which pissed Vince off and caused him to change his mind on Bruce.

In Bruce's book, he suggests that Vince wanted to bring him back as part of the Hart Foundation but Bret put the kibosh on it.

There's also a claim in both books, that Bruce was supposed to be the Black Hart who would turn on Bret at Survivor Series, and Owen would stick up for Bret and Bruce would squash him for it,  but Bret vetoed it because he felt Owen deserved the spot more as he was the better wrestler and more likely to get a role like that over.  Bruce didn't find out until years later and is STILL mad about it in his book because he needed the job more than Owen did and, he surmises, Owen already had a job and would have been just fine, so they all could have benefited from it (Ignoring the fact that Owen was going nowhere prior to that angle and this clearly was a star-making role for him which he does not seem to appreciate at all).

Bruce's book is a pretty nasty piece of business, too.  In the last couple chapters, he takes Vince's side over Bret's in the Montreal Screwjob, implies that Bret's stroke was his own fault for being bitter over his feud with Vince, and repeatedly talks about negative things Owen said about Bret, long after Owen had died so that no one could corroborate or back it up.

Edited by caley
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, caley said:

Bruce's book is incredible, as he basically credits himself for:
-every time business turns around for Stampede, it's because of his booking, every time it fails is because his dad, one of Stu's cronies, one of his brothers or brothers-in-law take over
-Bret's outfit with the pink tights and leather jacket was Bruce's outfit and Bret ripped him off
-Bruce did a few house shows teaming with Bret against Owen and Anvil and the crowd went crazy night for their matches until Bret stooged him off to Jack Lanza who berated Bruce in front of the lockerroom for hotdogging it, costing him another chance at stardom
-Bruce wrote all of Bret's weekly columns for him, then took it away from him after Bruce did or said something he disagreed with
-As Bad Company, Bruce and Pillman were faces who acted like heels, because Pillman later teamed with Steve Austin, Bruce draws a straight-line between Bad Company and Stone Cold Steve Austin, basically implying that SCSA wouldn't have gotten where he was without Bad Company

In Bret's book, he suggests that Vince approached him about giving Bruce the Light-Heavyweight Title and adding him to the Hart Foundation so that they could control all the gold, but when Bruce was supposed to attack Austin, he hit him with a bunch of stiff kidney punches which pissed Vince off and caused him to change his mind on Bruce.

In Bruce's book, he suggests that Vince wanted to bring him back as part of the Hart Foundation but Bret put the kibosh on it.

There's also a claim in both books, that Bruce was supposed to be the Black Hart who would turn on Bret at Survivor Series, and Owen would stick up for Bret and Bruce would squash him for it,  but Bret vetoed it because he felt Owen deserved the spot more as he was the better wrestler and more likely to get a role like that over.  Bruce didn't find out until years later and is STILL mad about it in his book because he needed the job more than Owen did and, he surmises, Owen already had a job and would have been just fine, so they all could have benefited from it (Ignoring the fact that Owen was going nowhere prior to that angle and this clearly was a star-making role for him which he does not seem to appreciate at all).

Bruce's book is a pretty nasty piece of business, too.  In the last couple chapters, he takes Vince's side over Bret's in the Montreal Screwjob, implies that Bret's stroke was his own fault for being bitter over his feud with Vince, and repeatedly talks about negative things Owen said about Bret, long after Owen had died so that no one could corroborate or back it up.

Bruce was a nobody. He had no name value or face recognition- even as a Hart. Bret knew that making Bruce apart of the Hart Foundation would have been bad business. 

• Like 1

Oh man, HHH getting questioned about Dream's allegations, brushing them off, and then like, a day later, more evidence of Dream grooming kids coming out is so on brand for that company.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Reading those Thunderdome fan interactions terms and conditions...

What a shame it would be if some chaotic force were to orchestrate a mass mooning timed at the opening bell of, oh I don't know, Seth Rollins' match?

Rollins just forced to stare at a sea of bared asses, occasionally slapping themselves in time to a superkick, while Kevin Dunn has an aneurysm in the truck trying to find a non-ass obvious angle.

The rest of the match would be shown through the Wile E Coyote cam©, while McMahon screams down the phone at Jerry McDevitt to start legal action against thousands of fans.

They couldn't ban you all...

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

13 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I been watching older shit.  I didn't remember too much about Survivor Series '92 so I went in pretty fresh.  Why did Bret win the title from Flair at a house show? I know they did title changes on the house circuit but it was less often by this point.  It was his first WWE Championship reign too.  The defense against HBK was a decent match,  he really went out of his way to make Michaels look competitive here. Bret was a selfless champion.  Too bad HBK couldn't do the same for him. 

I can't remember if it was Pritchard's podcast or a Bret interview, but what I remember being said was that it was done then and there because Vince knew he'd be talked out of putting the title on Bret if he waited longer.

Its incredible to think of all the possible timelines should he have slept for 20 minutes on it.

Maybe they're keeping Velveteen Dream around because they actually regret firing Enzo and think he would be a draw for them if he was still there? Because they are pretty similar - below average worker who is not well liked backstage, but has charisma and the company is firmly behind them for no particular reason.

Apparently a bunch of Bret Hart documentaries just got removed from the WWE Network. Might be a copyright issue with the Stampede footage, which is owned by Bret and was being licensed to the network or something.

Edited by AxB

36 minutes ago, King Leonidas Of Sparta said:

Reading those Thunderdome fan interactions terms and conditions...

What a shame it would be if some chaotic force were to orchestrate a mass mooning timed at the opening bell of, oh I don't know, Seth Rollins' match?

Rollins just forced to stare at a sea of bared asses, occasionally slapping themselves in time to a superkick, while Kevin Dunn has an aneurysm in the truck trying to find a non-ass obvious angle.

The rest of the match would be shown through the Wile E Coyote cam©, while McMahon screams down the phone at Jerry McDevitt to start legal action against thousands of fans.

They couldn't ban you all...

Billy Gunn:

Spoiler

this.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Shane Mcmahon reportedly rumored to replace Bruce for Raw. Bruce would still be Smackdown lead writer and both guys would share the same team except Edge and D-Bry writing for their respective brands.

Edited by D.Z
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Loki said:

Maybe they should just go the American Horror Story way and have a different writing team each year after Wrestlemania.

It's a neat idea but if the entire team still has to funnel all their ideas through the boss, then it's going to keep being the exact same shit it has been for years

1 minute ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

It's a neat idea but if the entire team still has to funnel all their ideas through the boss, then it's going to keep being the exact same shit it has been for years

I know...one can dream...

12 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

I recall developmental being folded into NXT and it never being expected to make a profit (even stated directly by HHH on a investor's call, again my faulty memory). Maybe that was when they were doing the interstate house shows to give everybody experience, as well as spending bucks to accumulate all those international and indie talents. Was there a time after I stopped watching when NXT was making a profit or alleged to make a profit?

- RAF

NXT wasn't expected to be profitable, but the USA TV deal made it so. 

• Like 1

Joe Belcastro the head writer of WWE NXT is no longer with WWE.  He had several other jobs in WWE...showrunner, lead writer, producer and talent development for WWE TV and WWE Network programming.

His deparature and WWE not bothering to replace him reflects WWE recent approach to move away from non-wrestling people being lead writers.

The NXT booking committee heads up NXT creative, Triple H, Shawn Michaels and "Road Dogg" Brian James. Which also includes the few writers they recently hired for NXT working under those guys.

5 hours ago, King Leonidas Of Sparta said:

a sea of bared asses, occasionally slapping themselves in time to a superkick,

On a board in which many excellent things have been written over the 20 plus years I have been posting here, this is way near the top of my list.

Edited by grilledcheese
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Owen was so great. Also,  going back and rewatching some old shows reminds me of the awesome moves and reversals that the Blazer would do that you just didn't see in WWF at the time. 

What were some of the best Blue Blazer matches? I probably have missed some.. 

Probably not among the best, but there is a tag match with Blazer and Koko vs Tully and Arn on an episode of '89 Prime Time. It's at least an interesting watch, since it's High Energy 3 years before there was High Energy, and you know, Tully & Arn.

• Like 1