DVDVR Message Board

AUG 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

18 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

I wish they'd come to this conclusion and decided to film some shows at the Grand Canyon instead 

I can't wait for the cinematic match where someone is thrown to the bottom of the Grand Canyon.

Of course, they'll be off tv for less than 24 hrs,. then appear on Raw the next night with a small bandage on their forehead to sell the 6,000 foot drop.  Realism!

• Like 1

Was watching Starrcade '87 again earlier...  mostly for one of my favorite matches of all time Ron Garvin defending the NWA title against Ric Flair in a cage match.  The two of them beat the shit out of each other from the opening bell and never let up.  Such a hard hitting contest.  I always get a kick out of the "Garvin sucks!" chants,  I understand Flair was the man in them days and maybe Garvin was a bit dry on personality but he was a great fucking worker. 

Road Warriors challenging Tully Blanchard and Arn Anderson in their hometown Chicago is another great match..  I always hate the finish but damn are all four men on their A game here.  Hawk and Animal throwing them both around like they're toddlers and then you have Arn and Tully pulling out all the stops cheating their ass off,  working over Hawk's leg, capitalizing on every little opportunity..   it's always a shame how it finished both teams worked so well together. 

The pop for Nikita is amazing on this show too.  He was so over.   Jim Ross and Tony Schiavone are on commentary and they are great, it's a really fun show. 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Was watching Starrcade '87 again earlier...  mostly for one of my favorite matches of all time Ron Garvin defending the NWA title against Ric Flair in a cage match.  The two of them beat the shit out of each other from the opening bell and never let up.  Such a hard hitting contest.  I always get a kick out of the "Garvin sucks!" chants,  I understand Flair was the man in them days and maybe Garvin was a bit dry on personality but he was a great fucking worker. 

Road Warriors challenging Tully Blanchard and Arn Anderson in their hometown Chicago is another great match..  I always hate the finish but damn are all four men on their A game here.  Hawk and Animal throwing them both around like they're toddlers and then you have Arn and Tully pulling out all the stops cheating their ass off,  working over Hawk's leg, capitalizing on every little opportunity..   it's always a shame how it finished both teams worked so well together. 

The pop for Nikita is amazing on this show too.  He was so over.   Jim Ross and Tony Schiavone are on commentary and they are great, it's a really fun show. 

This would be a good idea for later in the night, but the cool thing about '87 JCP was the fact that guys like the US-tag champs Barry Windham & Ronnie Garvin still had their own singles shit going WHILE being tag champs. Barry was credible enough to be challening Flair and later on in the year it was GARVIN who actually won the title. We all know the circumstances surrounding the title change, but in kayfabe, it's still a very cool story and a F'n stiff match!

• Like 1

Edge sure lit a fire under Orton's ass, that's for certain. Goddammit, I do not want Drew to lose the title at this point, but there is a pretty good chance he will walk away with the title. I guess it's about time, anyway.

4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I have a VHS copy of this show that I ripped. The most random thing is that they overdubbed The Road Warriors theme with "The Hit" by Richard Myhill. The same song that was used in The Crockett Cup highlights.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cwoy2j said:

I have a VHS copy of this show that I ripped. The most random thing is that they overdubbed The Road Warriors theme with "The Hit" by Richard Myhill. The same song that was used in The Crockett Cup highlights.

Yes, I have the VHS of this that I ordered from a PWI magazine when I was like 8-years old but I was watching the network version because it has all the backstage interviews and the matches are all in their entirety. 

The downside as you said is the VHS has all the original music and the network version has it all dubbed.  This entrance is obviously 100% better seen here: 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Yes, I have the VHS of this that I ordered from a PWI magazine when I was like 8-years old but I was watching the network version because it has all the backstage interviews and the matches are all in their entirety. 

The downside as you said is the VHS has all the original music and the network version has it all dubbed.  This entrance is obviously 100% better seen here: 

I will say that of all of the Network overdubs, they did a decent job with the MX overdub. That said, people do ask me why I go through the trouble of converting my VHS tapes to digital when it's all on the Network and it's mainly due to the music.

5 hours ago, Doc Townsend said:

I can't wait for the cinematic match where someone is thrown to the bottom of the Grand Canyon.

Of course, they'll be off tv for less than 24 hrs,. then appear on Raw the next night with a small bandage on their forehead to sell the 6,000 foot drop.  Realism!

This only works if the match has a Wiley E Coyote/Roadrunner gimmick.

10 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

What's even the point of a New Jack "match" without the right music playing?

Shame on the people that try to convince me “In The Ghetto” is a good substitute. Not only does it sound cheap, you also can’t here any of the match audio because of the issues with ECW’s audio recording. I honestly stopped bothering with ECW on the network at some point because of it. It reminds me of how I couldn’t stand the redubbing of The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

• Like 1

I was thinking about Godzilla: Final Wars, which got me thinking about Don Frye, which led me to think: I bet Don Frye just loves Donald Trump. Anyway, a quick trip to his Twitter feed later, and I just won a bet with myself.

21 minutes ago, Control said:

I was thinking about Godzilla: Final Wars, which got me thinking about Don Frye, which led me to think: I bet Don Frye just loves Donald Trump. Anyway, a quick trip to his Twitter feed later, and I just won a bet with myself.

*sigh* It obviously is the least surprising thing but still disappointing to read. I thought Frye maybe would've rejected Trump's putting himself in front of the country, but it would appear not. I remember Frye on a PRIDE DVD talking about hating all these punks draping the flag around their shoulders like it's a towel and how he always made a point to carry it on a pole RESPECTFULLY.

edit: that movie may be the most late '90s/early '00s fun piece of that time period.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

People also seem to hate the music they use for Valiant instead of Boy From NYC. 

That's another terrible overdub. The overdub for Jimmy Garvin's "Sharp Dressed Man" entrance is awful as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Godfrey said:

What's even the point of a New Jack "match" without the right music playing?

For the chain wrestling. You know, when New Jack hits people with a bicycle chain.

I'll show myself out.

• Haha 6