DVDVR Message Board

AUG 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Progress is relaunching under new management. ICW still exists but everyone thinks it sucks now. WXW still exists and has been a step down from it's peak but people still like it.

Evolve is as dead as a dodo.

2 hours ago, Super Ape said:

All of these companies have harbored domestic/sexual abusers after they were accused. It checks out. WWE knows, they just don’t give a fuck.

So have plenty of other companies. I'm not entirely sure what your point is. Whats more who knows when the deals for this stuff was made. We get that you hate WWE. You don't watch it anymore so why are you still so hung up about it?

18 minutes ago, AxB said:

Progress is relaunching under new management. ICW still exists but everyone thinks it sucks now. WXW still exists and has been a step down from it's peak but people still like it.

Evolve is as dead as a dodo.

Evolve is still around. It’s on Wednesday nights on USA. The production has gone to shits, though. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

Yes. It stopped being financially viable once they couldn't keep paying in T-shirts.

So when the Speaking Out movement happened, lots of promotions put out statements saying how their former owner was no longer affiliated, yeah? One of which was Glasgow's Fierce Females promotion, owned by Mikey Whiplash (who was named multiple times for bullying and other things). Well, they announced a comeback show under their new management team. And their new management team is Mikey Whiplash's wife.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AxB said:

Yes. It stopped being financially viable once they couldn't keep paying in T-shirts.

I can just see Gabe or whoever trying to play this off like he's paying his talent in drugs. "See, this is free, and you can take it back to the marks and double your money! $25 pop a shirt and its all profit to you. *snort* Phow... that was a good one... anyway, there's way more where that came from, just come back next Saturday and see me in the office."

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I wasn't all too embarrassed by wrestling in the 90's because by then I had already watched Under Siege with my parents and all types of other stuff not suitable for children. 

Ah, Erica Eleniak of Baywatch fame. That part of the tape was so warped by the time I rented it it was essentially censored so not an issue in our house.

• Haha 4

Dude I saw that in the theater with MY DAD ?

My best embarrassing media memory is probably when I was probably ten or eleven, watching Elvira: Mistress of the Dark with a pair of sisters that lived down the road from my grandmother. Both her and their mom looked on as Elvira twirled her tassles unexpectedly, not even making a peep about it. That was... something. 

I met the mother at my grandmother's funeral years later and she told me the older one, who was closest to my age and my real friend out of the two, was a lesbian. Didn't surprise me in the least considering we watched shit like that and Robocop together all the time. She also confessed a fondness for Troi on Star Trek so...

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

So have plenty of other companies. I'm not entirely sure what your point is. Whats more who knows when the deals for this stuff was made. We get that you hate WWE. You don't watch it anymore so why are you still so hung up about it?

Because in things like this, WWE sets the pace for the rest of the business. If WWE and AEW won’t release someone who has been accused, with damning evidence, of preying on underage fans, why would anyone in the #SpeakingOut movement expect indies to even attempt to cut out someone who harmed adult women?

It’s time to face the facts; #SpeakingOut was a failure, despite everyone involved doing the right thing, because those in power either ignored the movement, or made actions to spite it.

11 minutes ago, Super Ape said:

Because in things like this, WWE sets the pace for the rest of the business. If WWE and AEW won’t release someone who has been accused, with damning evidence, of preying on underage fans, why would anyone in the #SpeakingOut movement expect indies to even attempt to cut out someone who harmed adult women?Except no they don't

Except they don't. Part of the point of the indies is to be counter-major promotions. Just as much as some promotions have ignored victims, you have plenty of promotions who haven't . Also many of those promotions were ignoring this shit long before WWE did in terms of the accusations. I get you hate WWE, but quit tying them to literally everything wrong with the business and grasp that there is way more beyond it. This shit was happening before WWE and likely will happen even after its gone. Some people in power will always look for a loophole or way to ignore a bad situation if they feel it will lose them money. Whether or not a bigger company is cleaning up doesn't mean shit to them as much as their own personal fortunes do.

11 minutes ago, Super Ape said:

It’s time to face the facts; #SpeakingOut was a failure, despite everyone involved doing the right thing, because those in power either ignored the movement, or made actions to spite it.

If you equate not being able to clean up the business completely in a few months as a failure then nearly every movement in history has failed in your eyes.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Except they don't. Part of the point of the indies is to be counter-major promotions. Just as much as some promotions have ignored victims, you have plenty of promotions who haven't . Also many of those promotions were ignoring this shit long before WWE did in terms of the accusations. I get you hate WWE, but quit tying them to literally everything wrong with the business and grasp that there is way more beyond it. This shit was happening before WWE and likely will happen even after its gone. Some people in power will always look for a loophole or way to ignore a bad situation if they feel it will lose them money. Whether or not a bigger company is cleaning up doesn't mean shit to them as much as their own personal fortunes do.

If you equate not being able to clean up the business completely in a few months as a failure then nearly every movement in history has failed in your eyes.

The “business” is the smallest it’s ever been. RAW is airing to record low ratings. The indies have been hobbled by COVID, and many of them will not survive; even so, they tend to be followed by the same people, show after show, company after company. If something as irrelevant and myopic as professional wrestling in 2020 can’t be cleaned up, then yeah. The movement was a failure.

5 minutes ago, Super Ape said:

The “business” is the smallest it’s ever been. RAW is airing to record low ratings. The indies have been hobbled by COVID, and many of them will not survive; even so, they tend to be followed by the same people, show after show, company after company. If something as irrelevant and myopic as professional wrestling in 2020 can’t be cleaned up, then yeah. The movement was a failure.

My point is that these things don't happen overnight. It takes time, care, & work to actually improve things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, AxB said:

So when the Speaking Out movement happened, lots of promotions put out statements saying how their former owner was no longer affiliated, yeah? One of which was Glasgow's Fierce Females promotion, owned by Mikey Whiplash (who was named multiple times for bullying and other things). Well, they announced a comeback show under their new management team. And their new management team is Mikey Whiplash's wife.

Between that and Rev Pro's "LALALALA WE CAN'T HEAR YOU" routine, it's great to see the positive steps the profession is taking in response to Speaking Out. 

Fuck the British scene with very few exceptions. 

Edited by Jiji

55 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

Ah, Erica Eleniak of Baywatch fame. That part of the tape was so warped by the time I rented it it was essentially censored so not an issue in our house.

That also famously happened with vhs copies of Heavens Prisoners,  for the Teri Hatcher nude scene. 

39 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I was kind of hoping for a beach setting. Still didn't want any fans there though so this is probably for the best. Maybe hell freezes over and they try to do something interesting with the setup.

Yeah I thought a beach would be a way better look than an empty arena, although an arena is a way better look than the performance center. 

• Like 1

I watched the Flair/Savage title switch from Prime Time Wrestling from September '92 (taped 9/1 but obviously shown later in the month). It has to be one of the most bizarre things I've seen when it comes to a world title switch. There are some things that stick out to me:

- They did an exceptionally poor editing job that lets you know they went out and wrestled the same match again. They tacked on the entrances from the first try and then when the match starts, it looks like Savage already wrestled 15 good minutes.

- The piped in crowd noise when everyone is in the crowd is just sitting there. At one point, you'll noticed one girl/woman in the one of the rows back a bit resting her head on her fist like she's sitting through her professor's boring ass lecture.

- Even though they went out and did the match again because Vince was pissed at the first attempt, it was still a not so good match. Flair works on a leg a bit, Perfect cheats from the outside, and then Savage sells his knee while trying to act agitated (often running after or jumping at Perfect). Rinse repeat for about 15 minutes. The crowd, on the floor at least, gets into for about 30 seconds when Randy makes a brief comeback on the outside. Then, the crowd dies when he gets cut off.

- Razor Ramon comes out to zero response because the crowd has already seen him interfere in the match. I get that they had to have the heels cheat Savage out of his title, but it feels like severe overkill. He is dealing with a bad leg and Mr. Perfect is interfering every five seconds. Plus, Flair is obviously cheating. It just makes the ref look inept and the match really meaningless.

- When the finish happens, it comes off as so blah. How do you have Ric Flair of all people win your world title and be so blah. 

My question is why Vince felt compelled to do the title switch then? I know Randy was getting his divorce along with possible other issues, but it makes no sense based how poorly the match was done and put together. Plus, it's three days after Summerslam. 

On this day, IWTV decided to announce that they too have added ICW, meaning Insane Championship Wrestling. But this is the one from Milwaukee that does death matches, not the one from Scotland that does Coffey brothers.