DVDVR Message Board

AUG 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

4 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Definitely remember Corino doing a face to face promo on Dusty with a three part smark indictment against the Dream, the third part being cutting the brake lines on Magnum T.A.’s car.

Don’t recall the other one. Do recall Gertner suggesting the TNN slogan “we’ve got pop” was an improvement over their original “we (bleeped out) pigs” a week or two before ECW disappeared  from TNN’s schedule 

I should go back and watch some of these late TNN episodes. I remember when it came out that TNN was negotiating with WWE while ECW was still on the air and there was one episode where Heyman came on and delivered a promo, presumably about TNN, because TNN muted the entire thing and it was just a silent Heyman screaming furiously into the camera while a crawl across the bottom read something like "We have no idea why this man is so mad..." 

In some ways, I don't blame TNN.  I remember ordering the last ECW PPV at my parents' place, and being so completely embarrassed to be seen watching it with the terrible promos of Justin Credible with Missy Hyatt, with Missy bragging about Credible's sexual prowess and imploring Francine to "Fuck him already" (This was during the angle that Francine stopped sleeping with Credible because he was no longer ECW champion).  All the stuff with the women over the course of the year or so on TNN was really bad, even by late 90s wrestling standards.

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I don't think the Corino line was that bad. If Magnum died, sure. That'd be like saying Gary Hart let Bobby Shane drown or something. 

I don't know, man, insinuating that a babyface had another top babyface paralyzed/injured so that he wouldn't lose his spot on the card seems like kind of a lowblow to me...

3 minutes ago, caley said:

I don't know, man, insinuating that a babyface had another top babyface paralyzed/injured so that he wouldn't lose his spot on the card seems like kind of a lowblow to me...

...and totally something an asshole heel would say.

• Like 1

I don't have so much a problem with over the top, overtly sexual stuff with Missy and Francine cause they went low hanging fruit for several years. My issue is the fact that all the shit (meaning the promos and skits on the last PPVs they did) looked like it was shot in a ten dollar a night motel. It was looking low rent even by ECW standards. If I got kicked off TNN, I wouldn't want to show someone working at a potential new TV partner how seedy independent promotion my company that has been on major PPV with a somewhat decent following for four years looks.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, caley said:

I should go back and watch some of these late TNN episodes. I remember when it came out that TNN was negotiating with WWE while ECW was still on the air and there was one episode where Heyman came on and delivered a promo, presumably about TNN, because TNN muted the entire thing and it was just a silent Heyman screaming furiously into the camera while a crawl across the bottom read something like "We have no idea why this man is so mad..." 

They showed some of it with the sound on on the RIse and Fall of ECW DVD and Heyman was saying TNN never supported them and was imploring to be thrown off the air. I'm not so sure any of it was a work at that point in time. 

1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

I think one of the most uncomfortable moments of my teenage years was watching Francine and Dawn Marie have a catfight while my mom looked on disapprovingly. I wanted to shrink into a corn cob and begone.

I had a similar experience when my mom was in the room during one of Joel Gertner's raunchy intros.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

I think one of the most uncomfortable moments of my teenage years was watching Francine and Dawn Marie have a catfight while my mom looked on disapprovingly. I wanted to shrink into a corn cob and begone.

Mine was Rick Rude holding Francine upside down in a skirt and, yeah....  

THAT one was awkward to explain to the parents. At least they blurred it out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Every time I think, “this is it. This is rock bottom. Professional wrestling can’t possibly sink any lower,” I am always, WITHOUT FAIL, proven horribly wrong.

My biggest fear before the whole #SpeakingOut movement was WWE co-opting all the indies and making the whole business into its own image.

Now I realize that WWE was already setting the image, and the indies were merely copying it.

My kid is nine years old and talks about becoming a wrestler, and all I can think is, “if we’re lucky there won’t be a wrestling business for her to break into.”

Taking her to her first Chikara show in 2016 was the biggest mistake of my life.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Death From Above said:

The pair of lips tattooed on Francine's ass was probably the cherry on top! I generally tried to keep my ECW watching away from my mom, haha.  The PPV was the exception because it wouldn't work in my room!

4 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

I had a similar experience when my mom was in the room during one of Joel Gertner's raunchy intros.

Yeah, that would be a bad one, too.  Some of those were exceedingly bad and amazing that they got on TV in the first place.

4 hours ago, Peck said:

Mine was Rick Rude holding Francine upside down in a skirt and, yeah....  

THAT one was awkward to explain to the parents. At least they blurred it out.

Oh man, that would probably be the worst "He's giving her a...wrestling move?!"

3 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

My grandmother came in during the Jerry Brisco vs Pat Patterson evening gown match so that was fun

Jim Ross shouting "Poop Stain Patterson!" during one of their segments was one of those "Maybe I could spend my time better than watching this" moments.

• Haha 3

So, whoever had Mia Yim on the "What current WWE Wrestlers lurk the board" sweepstakes is a winner.

(Her new submission finish is the Leg Nelson that @Matt D has been pimping for weeks).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I'll share my tale. ECW from 1996-1997 used to be shown on Bravo and DSF aired WCW PPV's in German. The adverts between them were for phone sex lines and showed scantily clad women. I was 11-13 and my Little Sis' grassed on me about the adverts.. So, my Dad had to record over the adverts but in doing so recorded over some of the wrestling.

Edited by The Natural
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Super Ape said:

All of these companies have harbored domestic/sexual abusers after they were accused. It checks out. WWE knows, they just don’t give a fuck.

This.

On a different note, it's going to get time getting used to the new avatar changed today and not Goldberg mugging for the camera. Hope you're well, @Super Ape.

Edited by The Natural

6 minutes ago, The Natural said:

This.

On a different note, it's going to get time getting used to the new avatar changed today and not Goldberg mugging for the camera. Hope you're well, @Super Ape.

Uncle Goldberg is retired. My interest in wrestling is cratered and I don’t want to continue on with glorifying even the silly parts of it.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I wasn't all too embarrassed by wrestling in the 90's because by then I had already watched Under Siege with my parents and all types of other stuff not suitable for children. 

Heh, that scene with the girl coming out of the cake was quite the eye-opener.  I don't know if my parents thought I would be too young to notice or care but I sure did.

But as far as wrestling I was embarrassed in general to have it on around them by the late 90s.  Early to mid 90s it wasn't much of an issue even if they tried to get me to stop then.  But considering how much they hated what it became I made it a point to just hide or change the channel if they came in.  I still don't watch it with them around and kind of shy away if they bring up something.  Over time they realized I can be into this and still lead a productive life so all's good now.  And we can talk Bruno all day and stories about Greek relatives going to the matches with them when they'd visit.  So we have that bond but just not for anything I grew up on.  And that's quite alright with me.

Progress is relaunching under new management. ICW still exists but everyone thinks it sucks now. WXW still exists and has been a step down from it's peak but people still like it.

Evolve is as dead as a dodo.