DVDVR Message Board

AUG 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

World Pro Wrestling had the coolest opening. So much '80s.

Is this WCCW with an intro for Japanese audiences?

Edit: kinda!

"World Pro Wrestling was a TV show in Japan that ran from 1984-87, usually, but not always, weekly. It was never a promotion but was a TV show featuring wrestling from North America. Thing is, a LOT of the footage they broadcast was exclusive to the World Pro show. They ran a Ric Flair vs Ricky Morton cage match never shown here in the US, a Rockers vs Rose/Somers match never shown in the US (from the night that Hansen forfeited the AWA title), and tons of other exclusives, like the only-known full Bunkhouse Stampede match (other than the one from PPV, of course)."

Edited by The Green Meanie
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

Is this WCCW with an intro for Japanese audiences?

Edit: kinda!

"World Pro Wrestling was a TV show in Japan that ran from 1984-87, usually, but not always, weekly. It was never a promotion but was a TV show featuring wrestling from North America. Thing is, a LOT of the footage they broadcast was exclusive to the World Pro show. They ran a Ric Flair vs Ricky Morton cage match never shown here in the US, a Rockers vs Rose/Somers match never shown in the US (from the night that Hansen forfeited the AWA title), and tons of other exclusives, like the only-known full Bunkhouse Stampede match (other than the one from PPV, of course)."

WPW is really a fun show to watch. It's kind of like a Japanese version of "Pro Wrestling This Week" or maybe "Occupation of the Indies" with American footage. There's two sets floating around, that I know of, and I have the second. Need to find the first somewhere. 

8 hours ago, ka-to said:

Randy Orton spends more time posing for the cameras than the Stardom girls at Shin-Kiba.

So, you're saying Orton should work Stardom.

Hey, Natural.  That reminds me, have you heard about Bret's show he's got on his website?  Apparently for $30 for a season it's Bret telling all kinds of stories about his career.  Not sure if that's something you'd be up for especially since there's a price but it sounds like a neat idea.

• Like 1

Totally random ECW question but does anyone remember the episodes where:

- Corino accuses Dusty in a promo of cutting Magnum TA's brakes.

- Joey is doing commentary with either Cyrus or Gertner (I think) and one of them says "like the Cowboy say "let's string 'em up" and Joey start screaming "it's hook 'em up, it's hook 'em up."

Those two rank with New Jack's OJ promo as some of  the most hilariously inappropriate one-off lines I can recall.  

When EC3 started his first run in Impact, he'd just show up and talk about how great he was. But eventually when he started wrestling, he had this hand picked opponent who was going to push him to the next level and so forth. Which turned out to be this short, skinny, nerdy looking guy name of Norv Furnham. Only Norv randomly got over as an underdog babyface and got a little bit of a run in the company himself. As a JTTS, but that's still something. Then he disappeared, and wasn't seen in wrestling ever again. Today I found out where he actually went.

He went to the library. He's Peter Avalon now.

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Corino was so low profile, and really internet coverage in wrestling as a whole, at the time that I found his email online and emailed him and asked if he'd cleared the Magnum TA line before hand with Dusty or Paul E. and he said "No, but they were fine with it, and it made for good TV!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

49 minutes ago, Hagan said:

- Joey is doing commentary with either Cyrus or Gertner (I think) and one of them says "like the Cowboy say "let's string 'em up" and Joey start screaming "it's hook 'em up, it's hook 'em up."

Those two rank with New Jack's OJ promo as some of  the most hilariously inappropriate one-off lines I can recall.  

Definitely remember Corino doing a face to face promo on Dusty with a three part smark indictment against the Dream, the third part being cutting the brake lines on Magnum T.A.’s car.

Don’t recall the other one. Do recall Gertner suggesting the TNN slogan “we’ve got pop” was an improvement over their original “we (bleeped out) pigs” a week or two before ECW disappeared  from TNN’s schedule 

Edited by BobbyWhioux
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, AxB said:

He went to the library. He's Peter Avalon now.

Wow, I didn't know he was Norv.  That's quite a jump from TNA job guy to...well...AEW job guy.  But seriously he has come a long way and I'm happy to see him on shows.  Also still love how cool how we was to talk to last year.