DVDVR Message Board

AUG 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

5 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

That reminds me of that Coliseum Video 40 man Battle Royale that Jim Ross called with Kerry Von Erich in the match.  Who was dead by then.  

Yeah, they did that a lot.  There's a Savage/Bret vs Flair/Shawn tag match that Ross calls even though Flair was back in WCW before Ross started with the WWF.  Bret was also only IC Champ at the time, and yet Ross refers to him as a former WWF Champion.  Hell, by the time the Disasters/Money Inc title change was released, of the four wrestlers involved only IRS was still active in the company.

Global Warfare had a Steiners vs. Money Inc match that was apparently so boring, one camera panned to the crowd and left it there.  And so did the director.  You have a crowd shot for at least 30 seconds and finally Bobby Heenan blatantly calls everybody else out on it.  Which was not edited out and was then sold on video.

And maybe I'm wrong, but the only time I ever heard the word "defunct" on any consistent basis was in an Apter mag.  I say that as a compliment.

• Haha 1

How to torture an indie wrestling commentary team:

1. Find an unknown guy and change his name to "Valentine Blake"
  2. Book him in a 4 corners match with Blake Christian, Christian Casanova and Casanova Valentine
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

The tag title scene in the 80's was so great...   I'm not sure what happened to Vince.   Hart Foundation,  Rockers,  Powers of Pain, Brain Busters,  British Bulldogs, Killer Bees, Twin Towers, Strike Force,  Demolition,  on and on and on....    so many great teams.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The tag title scene in the 80's was so great...   I'm not sure what happened to Vince.   Hart Foundation,  Rockers,  Powers of Pain, Brain Busters,  British Bulldogs, Killer Bees, Twin Towers, Strike Force,  Demolition,  on and on and on....    so many great teams.  

Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels happened, proving to Vince the only purpose of a tag team is to find a main event star.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, AxB said:

How to torture an indie wrestling commentary team:

1. Find an unknown guy and change his name to "Valentine Blake"
  2. Book him in a 4 corners match with Blake Christian, Christian Casanova and Casanova Valentine

During the Gabe days, ROH had a four way match with three Jimmy's, Jimmy Rave; Jimmy Jacobs; and Jimmy Yang. I forget who the last participant was. I feel like it might have been Delirious.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels happened, proving to Vince the only purpose of a tag team is to find a main event star.

The other layer here is that Vince used tags as "that's where the non-giants go, see". And once Bret and Shawn were the top guys I guess if we add 2 and 2 here, Vince no longer saw that as a value place to stick his smaller guys. Then things just got so muddled from there and it falls apart.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

During the Gabe days, ROH had a four way match with three Jimmy's, Jimmy Rave; Jimmy Jacobs; and Jimmy Yang. I forget who the last participant was. I feel like it might have been Delirious.

Best part was the let's go jimmy chants.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Random thought watching Zenjo: Bull Nakano had to do that shit to her hair 80-100 times a year when she started wearing it up. Just saw some handheld footage and she had it up then too. Didn't even take it easy when not on TV. I cannot imagine how much that would suck.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Random thought watching Zenjo: Bull Nakano had to do that shit to her hair 80-100 times a year when she started wearing it up. Just saw some handheld footage and she had it up then too. Didn't even take it easy when not on TV. I cannot imagine how much that would suck.

The anger of the work fueled her power, clearly.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ohtani's jacket said:

I think the weight gain was the hardest part. I heard she had to inject male hormones to get over 100 kg. 

Seriously? Bull wasn't particularly skinny/lanky in the 80s so this is surprising to hear.

8 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Seriously? Bull wasn't particularly skinny/lanky in the 80s so this is surprising to hear.

I've heard that too (maybe it was here actually), but I think her weight naturally fluctuates. She was skinny post wrestling (when people first started freaking out that was her), but years ago for her retirement show, she was much bigger than lady golfer Bull Nakano. Now she's super slim more than ever before.

• Like 1

Surreal to see with the terrible injury Tyson Kidd suffered in June 2015. Kidd gave a great interview about it and his life in wrestling but I'm unable to find it. It's a must read.

EDIT. Found it:

https://www.thewhig.com/entertainment/television/tj-wilson-wrestlings-comeback-kidd

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

Chris Jericho appears to have done a concert.

In the middle of a pandemic.

No social distance, No masks in sight.

This may sound like a joke, but I'm dead serious when I say Jericho is going to kill more people than his buddy Benoit could have ever dreamed.

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Chris Jericho appears to have done a concert.

In the middle of a pandemic.

No social distance, No masks in sight.

This may sound like a joke, but I'm dead serious when I say Jericho is going to kill more people than his buddy Benoit could have ever dreamed.

What a fucking idiot

• Like 2