DVDVR Message Board

AUG 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

8 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Thanks for the heads up. I rarely check out his podcast these days because I just assume there's a 50/50 chance he's doing Ancient Aliens stuff. 

don't be so comfortable

Ancient Aliens

Arn Anderson

THE SIGNS~! ARE THERE~!

Aliens.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Haha that’s right BobbyWhioux and I’d love to talk more about your theories about Arn Anderson being an Ancient Alien, but first let me tell you about why you need the TrueCar app...

to be honest Jericho has had some decent guests lately. Brian Posehn was pretty good the other day.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

ask yourself if you really think any mere human could really execute the spinebuster as beautifully and perfectly as Arn Anderson did it EVERY TIME.

Just saying.

I know you're joking and all that, but the biggest problem people have trying to replicate Arn's spinebuster (namely Triple H) is they pick a guy up and try to slam them through the mat like it's a fucking shoot. It's like they're trying to run through a tackling sled at football practice. Arn picks em up light and then basically puts them down light taking all the impact on his arm. That's the beauty of the spinebuster.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The "it could mean nothing or it could mean AEW is fucked" news is in the AEW thread

(WarnerMedia just shook up all its top executives. The dude who was in charge of TNT/TBS etc... (and greenlight AEW) has been replaced)

2 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Seems ultra-unlikely they'd want out of a 4 (I think?) year deal this early when the show isn't struggling, but who knows. TV executives are weird.

Yeah. I mean, Russell Dalrymple left NBC to join Greenpeace just to impress Elaine Benes.

?

FCFFBE26-D4-A9-479-E-9717-672-BFF5-A8447

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

After LOD won the Tag Titles at Summerslam 1991 vs. the Nasty Boys, the next time the Tag Titles changed hands on a PPV was WrestleMania 11 with Owen and Yoko defeating the Smoking Guns. Almost 4 years went by with a title change on PPV.

and for the first half of that, the only change that was even televised at all was The Quebecers beating The Steiners on RAW in the "Province du Quebec" rules match that existed to allow the championship to change on a DQ fuck finish.

I think you can definitely look at that period as the beginning of the end for the Tag Titles mattering (not that they wouldn't have ultimately declined anyway given the nadir of the pre-attitude years and Vince's attitude towards tag teams after the Rockers split-up experiment)

Tag Belts definitely got designated as the "prove ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN (tm) IN THE WWF! UNBELIEVABLE~!" "buy a ticket to a house show and you might see a title change!" title

hell, Money Inc.'s 2nd reign stretched over 4 pay per views (in the 5 per year era) during which they only had 1 PPV defense (the DQ win against Hogan/Bruti at WM9).

no wonder audience and performer alike learned that the tag belts Donn't Matter.

shit, I'm gonna play a game now

THE PROLONGED DEATH OF THE WWF TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP 1991-1995/6

Summerslam 91:  LOD defeat Nasty Boys

Survivor Series 91: No Defense (champs do stand tall as the survivors in the final match of the night, at least)

Royal Rumble 92:  countout loss to Natural Disasters

[off camera title switch to Money Inc]

Wrestlemania 8:  Money Inc take the walkout countout loss

[off camera switch to Natural Disasters]

Summerslam 92: ND successful defense against Beverly Bros

[off camera switch to Money Inc.]

Survivor Series 92:  no defense (champs pinned/eliminated in modified survivor series match)

Royal Rumble 93: no defense, champs are in the rumble

Wrestlemania 9: fuck finish DQ against Hogan/Beefcake, though at least they win

King of the Ring 93: no defense (Dibiase pinned by Billy Gunn in an 8 man tag)

[off camera switch to Steiners, off camera switch to Money Inc, off camera switch to Steiners, all within one fucking week]

Summerslam 93: Steiners successful defense against Heavenly Bodies

september 93 RAW: Quebecers win belts in Province Du Quebec Rules DQ fuck finish

Survivor Series 93:  no defense, 1/2 of the team is pulled from the show entirely and the remaining half is cannon fodder (though at least he's main event cannon fodder)

[off camera switch to Waltman/Jannetty, off camera switch to Quebecers]

Royal Rumble 94: technically a successful defense by Pas Les Mounties vs The Hart Bros. via ref stoppage, but overshadowed by Owen's turn

Wrestlemania X:  Quebecers take a deliberate countout against, as Jacques called them, The MOMs

[another off camera one week carousel in which The MOMs beat the Quebecers and The Quebecers beat The MOMs]

May 94 Raw:  Headshrinkers beat Quebecers

KOTR 94: Headshrinkers successful defense against Yoko & Crush

[off camera Shawn Michaels & Diesel defeat the Headshrinkers the day before Summerslam]

Summerslam 94:  no title defense, and the Headshrinkers lose by countout to the team they would have defended against, Bigelow & IRS. Meanwhile, 1/2 of the new tag champs is pinned in an unsuccessful IC title defense.

Survivor Series 94: no title defense, Diesel & HBK dissolve the partnership, belts declared vacant

Royal Rumble 95:  Holly & Waltman defeat Bigelow & Tatanka in the tournament finals

next night on raw:  The Smoking Gunns, who skipped the tournament entirely, beat Holly & Waltman and prove the whole tournament was a waste of time and every team in it was the thrown together jabroni tandem they appeared to be

Wrestlemania 11:  Owen & Mystery Partner Yoko beat The Gunns, all hail the SECOND PPV title switch in the last 4 years, and only the 4th televised change out of 17 (+1 vacancy) during that time

In Your House #1:  Owen & Yoko successful defense against The Gunns

KOTR 95:  no defense of the tag titles, and no defense of this shitshow of a card in general

In Your House #2: Yoko & Owen successful defense against the now quite buried Luger & Davey Boy

Summerslam 95: no title defense.

In Your House #3, September 95:  Diesel & HBK appear to win the belts from Yoko & Davey Boy substituting for Owen

next night on RAW: syke! it was a dusty finish, belts revert to Owen & Yoko

a subsequent episode of RAW:  Gunns defeat Owen & Yoko to win the belts

Survivor Series 95: no defense, tag champs not even on the card of a show dedicated to tag team wrestling, in a dark match instead

Royal Rumble 96: successful defense against The Bodydonnas

and then I think Billy Gunn gets hurt again and there's another tournament of piecemeal schedule fillers before the Bodydonnas beat the Godwins for the belts in pre-show Hell at WM12

so there you go. 4 and a half years committed to establishing irrelevance.  Half the time they're not even defended, and the defenses are against glorified jobbers or piecemeal teams, and inconclusive DQ/CO losses galore.

and they haven't mattered since. too bad, too, the old tag belt design of this era is one of the WWF/E's better belt designs.

Edited by BobbyWhioux
  • Like 2

The Disasters beating Money Inc. for the Titles was filmed and featured on a Coliseum Video that was released a year later.  JR does play-by-play for it even though he wasn't in the company when the match happened.

Money Inc. beating the Disasters for the belts aired on Wrestling Challenge, and part of that match was the Nasty Boys babyface turn and interference by the Headshrinkers that seemingly setup a feud with the Disasters that never happened.

Kid and Jannetty beating the Quebecers happened on Raw.  That switch was basically done to further setup the Bret/Owen split, as they had the title shot at the Rumble which turned into a non-title match after the Quebecers lost the titles.  When asked about the Quebecers' rematch with Kid/Jannetty, Bret said something to the effect of he could never root for the Quebecers even if it meant getting their title shot back, which pissed Owen off.

2 minutes ago, Vgmastr said:

The Disasters beating Money Inc. for the Titles was filmed and featured on a Coliseum Video that was released a year later.  JR does play-by-play for it even though he wasn't in the company when the match happened.

That reminds me of that Coliseum Video 40 man Battle Royale that Jim Ross called with Kerry Von Erich in the match.  Who was dead by then.  

5 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

That reminds me of that Coliseum Video 40 man Battle Royale that Jim Ross called with Kerry Von Erich in the match.  Who was dead by then.  

Yeah, they did that a lot.  There's a Savage/Bret vs Flair/Shawn tag match that Ross calls even though Flair was back in WCW before Ross started with the WWF.  Bret was also only IC Champ at the time, and yet Ross refers to him as a former WWF Champion.  Hell, by the time the Disasters/Money Inc title change was released, of the four wrestlers involved only IRS was still active in the company.