DVDVR Message Board

AUG 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

More on Khan:

“While representing WWE at CAA, he was instrumental in transforming our business model by securing domestic media rights increases of 3.6x over our previous agreements. Nick’s management style and personal demeanor are perfect for WWE’s entrepreneurial culture, and he will fit right in with our exceptional management team.”

The original tweet (by Mikey from Black Label Pro, a good indie promotion) with the screengrab of Jannetty's facebook post did point out that Jannetty has a long history of using bigoted and hateful language online. But now the newz sites have made graphics that erase that and replace it with a picture of Marty Janetty.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:
  • GCW 'Tournament of Survival': Atlantic City, New Jersey, Saturday August 22nd, 4pm
  • GCW 'Jersey Shore': Atlantic City, New Jersey, Sunday August 23rd, 5pm
  • Beyond Wrestling 'I guess we can do another show': Atlantic City, New Jersey, Sunday August 23rd, 8pm
  • WWE Summerslam, Atlantic City, New Jersey, Sunday August 23rd, 8pm.

Going head to head with Wrestlemania in the same city didn't happen. But now they're going head to head with Summerslam by accident.

GCW and Beyond in Atlantic City? That's really tempting. I might have to get a room for the weekend.

I messed up. The Beyond show is BEFORE the GCW show on the Sunday, at 1pm local time, not after it. So potentially someone could watch all of them live (is WWE intending to actually sell tickets to Summerslam and have fans there? Because small crowds are permitted in New Jersey. Well, tiny crowds for indoor shows, and small ones for outdoor events.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, christopher.annino said:

Kinda disappointed to see people making light of Marty Jannetty not only seeming to confess to murders, but basically describing one as an anti-lgbtq hate crime complete with slur ?

Catching up on wrestling news but FWIW I'm with you on that. If true lock his ass up and dish out justice. If he made it up then he needs help and needs to be forced offline. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Catching up on wrestling news but FWIW I'm with you on that. If true lock his ass up and dish out justice. If he made it up then he needs help and needs to be forced offline. 

Going through the Barber Shop window fucked Marty up more than we ever knew.

Oh yeah...and all the drugs

• Like 4

10 hours ago, D.Z said:

More on Khan:

“While representing WWE at CAA, he was instrumental in transforming our business model by securing domestic media rights increases of 3.6x over our previous agreements. Nick’s management style and personal demeanor are perfect for WWE’s entrepreneurial culture, and he will fit right in with our exceptional management team.

Ah, so he's a sociopath.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

10 hours ago, D.Z said:

More on Khan:

“While representing WWE at CAA, he was instrumental in transforming our business model by securing domestic media rights increases of 3.6x over our previous agreements. Nick’s management style and personal demeanor are perfect for WWE’s entrepreneurial culture, and he will fit right in with our exceptional management team.”

Bullshit business speak: because "he helped us cut some big money deals" somehow just doesn't sound impressive enough?

10 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Going through the Barber Shop window fucked Marty up more than we ever knew.

Oh yeah...and all the drugs

his own fault for trying to dive through it to escape then.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

[w.r.t. christopher.annino's point, it's never fun to have another reminder of how full of scumbags wrestling is, nor that some of your favorite moments/personalities mean you were in a position of cheering for a shitty person all this time. The jokes are more than a little bit of distancing/denial, certainly on my part, and probably a selfish bid to not let good art get too tainted by contemptible artists who made it]

• Like 7

Jannetty's homophobic language is certainly disappointing, and I'm sure extremely hurtful to many in our community here, but from a psychological standpoint, it sort of makes sense that he might hold that belief after having *** allegedly *** killed an attempted child rapist in self-defense. It's wrong, it's gross, it has no place, but I see how it could happen. 

And I'd like to shout out @BobbyWhioux because I think he hit the nail on the head with our (or at least my own) tendency to use humor (dark, dark humor) to kind of deal with some of these things. How else do you digest something so mind-blowing?

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

I don't remember where it was brought up but here is the latest from the WON on whatever the next WWE draft will be

So this is the situation with the draft, which at last word is expected for October with two dates (a Smackdown and a Raw date) being talked about. It was scheduled for October, but then talked about for August because they know they need to make changes. Then it was brought up that doing it in early August would mess up the angles for SummerSlam. So then it was September. Last week the idea was late August, but then with the second PPV show on 8/30, they figured to wait until after that. So then it was moved to October which is where it is this week, but can easily change, like everything does

12 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I wonder at what point is Marty going to try and backpedal out of this one? I mean, if it's even partially true, it will probably not go away, try as he might. But the last time that I'm aware of when he said some highly questionable stuff online, he tried to say afterwards that he was hacked. That seems to be the standard explanation in similar situations, but I don't see many people buying that this time around. I have a feeling he will be forced offline by family or authorities in the near future.

• Like 1

Vince reportedly came up with Shane Mcmahon for the Raw underground part and the Orton Flair angle but would not commit to anything else.

He loves Bayley and her new persona. He sees Royce and Belair as future singles stars.

1 minute ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Well that explains why Billie is always the one getting pinned ?

She has been taking most of the pins for a while now. I want to say even back in NXT. In general Peyton is the one who has shown a bit more when put in singles matches. Billie for whatever reason kind of regressed from her time in the indies back in NXT and never really improved much. 

The thing with the future singles star talk is I'm not sure how much it matters since the two have been rather open about not really being interested in a singles runs.

2 hours ago, Shartnado said:

I wonder at what point is Marty going to try and backpedal out of this one? I mean, if it's even partially true, it will probably not go away, try as he might. But the last time that I'm aware of when he said some highly questionable stuff online, he tried to say afterwards that he was hacked. That seems to be the standard explanation in similar situations, but I don't see many people buying that this time around. I have a feeling he will be forced offline by family or authorities in the near future.

I guess we're going to get a Dark Side Of The Ring episode devoted to him in season five...

Obviously, this is totally unthinkable direction for Vince, but they wouldn't really have to break up the IIconics in order for Peyton to have a singles run. Just have Billie as more of a sidekick/ mouthpiece. They are undoubtedly more entertaining together, anyway!

• Like 4

Just now, Shartnado said:

Obviously, this is totally unthinkable direction for Vince, but they wouldn't really have to break up the IIconics in order for Peyton to have a singles run. Just have Billie as more of a sidekick/ mouthpiece. They are undoubtedly more entertaining together, anyway!

This though I prefer Billie Kay to Peyton Royce out of the two. Every now and then I keep going back to this chicken soup for the soul promo and work by Billie, Peyton and Cathy Kelley:

You gotta be jokin' me!?

• Like 1

I don't recall the particular NXT match, but somewhere Billie got kicked in the head with a Pele kick of sorts and her selling of it was one of the most legit hilarious things (and I mean intentionally hilarious) things I have seen. I believe that was the specific moment I was sold on those two!