DVDVR Message Board

AUG 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

So the gist of what I've looked up so far is that she said something about him but Cornette looked himself up and responded.  The initial comment wasn't even that bad but I guess he can't help but being a little shitstain.

Seriously all these people who are so anti-intergender wrestling eventually need to realize that if you really want it to go away (which it won't)  the best strategy is to shut up about it.

Basically Lance Storm is having the "we need to get rid of intergender wrestling because of what happened during the Speaking Out period".   Yes because I am sure if there wasn't man vs women wrestling matches that Joey Ryan and Dave Crist would have been perfect soldiers.   

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

My main issue with intergender wrestling is when a large man and an average sized or smaller woman basically work each other 50/50 in terms of strength spots. That rarely happens though, so whatever. If it's some scrawny dude like Anthony Henry, I have no problem with that then.

Wasn't the awesome Pentagon/Dark Lotus trio (Stardom's Shirai, Hojo, and Iwatani) gauntlet one of the tipping points in Lucha Underground's viewership declines? I know Alvarez fucking hated it and would constantly bring up how it died a death in the ratings. Cage/Taya from LU definitely avoided the trope I mentioned above but he really put a beating on her and it was hard to watch at times. I don't know. Ideally, there would be more women wrestling and more opportunities so they didn't have to turn to intergender. It's not ideal but it's not the devil either.

• Like 3

Just finished watching Liger/Casas '90 and it was so great. I know, huge surprise. There may not be a more generous top of the line wrestler than Negro Casas. While the match is sadly joined in progress, the 9 or so minutes we get are pretty much all Casas giving Liger shine. And what a shine it is. I love the intensity of early Liger that would eventually be replaced by surliness of older, cranky Liger. He's fired up, the crowd is super into him, and Casas is a guy you want to make a dude look great. 

Now on to the rematch 20 years later:

edit: man, this was kinda disappointing. The work was good, again... shocking. But 2010 NJPW crowd is super dead for this and it's short. Casas' shit eating grins when his barely masked cheating gets caught is always enjoyable though. They hit some of the moves from the '90 match and the ending sequence is neat as heck. Liger hitting two brainbusters for a heatless 2.9 was sad though.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 3

Twitter is just the worst. Wrestling twitter, also the worst.  The only good thing that’s come of 2020 is me realising it and ditching it completely.

I have enough of my own bad takes on wrestling without having to read other people’s, thank you!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Twitter is just the worst. Wrestling twitter, also the worst.  The only good thing that’s come of 2020 is me realising it and ditching it completely.

I have enough of my own bad takes on wrestling without having to read other people’s, thank you!

Lost in all of this is that Marty Janetty confessed to at least two murders and inter-gender wrestling draws more comments. WTF is wrong with people? Now granted over the last thirty years I have accorded Mr. Janetty the same amount of gravitas that I gave my nephew when he was 5-9 years of age and would draw dials and gauges on the side of a large cardboard box, explaining that this was a spaceship that would fly to Mars and back. Since NASA wouldn't do it, it was up to the people to get us to Mars (he actually got that part right!)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Wait, then why are you here?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, joseph2112 said:

I'm officially adding the Macho/Hogan/Liz heel/face dynamic to the DVDR bingo. Right next to Sid and WWE women's performers. 

(Not being critical, I'm here for all of it).

I had two out of three this past month, I'm working my way towards macho and Hogan as I just finished Survivor Series '88

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Just turned on the Smackdown rerun and am I actually seeing a bloody Mandy Rose getting her hair slashed off? Is McMahon actually trying to get hard with it? 

I thought they were both excellent in the segment. But I believe that was makeup and lipstick 

• GCW 'Tournament of Survival': Atlantic City, New Jersey, Saturday August 22nd, 4pm
  • GCW 'Jersey Shore': Atlantic City, New Jersey, Sunday August 23rd, 5pm
  • Beyond Wrestling 'I guess we can do another show': Atlantic City, New Jersey, Sunday August 23rd, 8pm
  • WWE Summerslam, Atlantic City, New Jersey, Sunday August 23rd, 8pm.

Going head to head with Wrestlemania in the same city didn't happen. But now they're going head to head with Summerslam by accident.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Kinda disappointed to see people making light of Marty Jannetty not only seeming to confess to murders, but basically describing one as an anti-lgbtq hate crime complete with slur ?

Edited by christopher.annino
  • Like 2

More on Khan:

“While representing WWE at CAA, he was instrumental in transforming our business model by securing domestic media rights increases of 3.6x over our previous agreements. Nick’s management style and personal demeanor are perfect for WWE’s entrepreneurial culture, and he will fit right in with our exceptional management team.”