DVDVR Message Board

AUG 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

30 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I don't know what they reference but I remember Bret saying he's glad they had him when doing promos.  At least for the first few years he had this nervous energy and would look in all kinds of directions.  So the shades helped him out a ton because they hid all that and it seemed he was a lot calmer than he really was.

EDIT:  Just saw the Jannetty post.  What in the ever-loving fuck is wrong with him?!

That's right about Bret Hart and why he wore sunglasses. Might be taken from Bret's long awaited DVD: The Best There Is, The Best There Was and The Best There Ever Will Be from 2005. I have that DVD and will never sell it.

Lots is the answer to your Marty Jannetty question.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm watching some old Survivor Series.  Right now 1988.  Gorilla calls Bret "Excellence of Execution"  I hadn't noticed that before.  When did Bret first get the nickname?  

Also, did Bret and Tully Blanchard ever have a singles match? 

I've been binging some 1986 Prime Time lately and Gorilla has definitely used it a few times.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Peck said:

I've been binging some 1986 Prime Time lately and Gorilla has definitely used it a few times.

For all the talk about Gorilla burying guys on commentary, he made Bret. When I was a kid, I didn’t pay attention to who was better at wrestling in-ring and that stuff. I liked guys who looked cool. Gorilla always drove home that Bret was an amazing wrestler. I seriously think that (combined with the fact that Bret WAS great)  contributed a ton to Bret’s singles run being taken seriously. 

• Like 5

Is it baseless and unfair to add this Marty thing to my hunch that quite a lot of 80's wrestlers probably murdered people back in the day? It was already a bit of a golden age (wrong phrase, but hey) for serial killers back then. Add in wrestlers' itinerant lifestyle, love of substances and well documented propensity for violence and perversion, and I do wonder...

2 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Wow, totally forgot they did that. Why do they always fuck over the UK fans? Do they need to really save that many main event caliber matches for NA? 

Time differences I suspect. It's bullshit. UK fan base has supported the WWE for a long time.

Edited by The Natural

You can argue the semantics as this was in the UK, but Vader vs Owen Hart from One Night Only UK PPV from 1997 is really good. Probably nowhere near the actual best but must be in the discussion. This topic came to me as well recently, as I described the Keith Lee vs Adam Cole match to my lapsed fan friend as "the love child of Ahmed Johnson and Vader facing the love child of HBK and the 123-Kid, and the skinny one is the heel!"

Austin Aries has had a few good matches against monster babyfaces. But I'm wondering if Takayama vs Yoshinari Ogawa would count?

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

There's kind of a recency thing at play with this answer, but I liked Brock vs Bryan at I think it was Survivor Series

And I might be biased because I was there live for this one, but Brock vs Finn Balor at Royal Rumble 2019 I would put probably in my Top Five for that type of formula.