DVDVR Message Board

AUG 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

1 hour ago, nofuture said:

If you've got 2 hours to kill, Renee, Punk and Booker did a livewatch of Summerslam 92 with Finn and Bret popping in at different points.  A lot of stuff gets covered, very worthwhile watch.

it'd be nice if they promoted this stuff..  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Literally didn't know until I got home just now and was kinda excited to watch....and oh, it's over and now I gotta match this shit up...BTW, I spend $10 on the WWE Network and $10 on Wrestling Observer.  Guess which one actually told me this show was happening.  Apparently, just putting up the Youtube, Twitter, and Facebook images, that's enough.

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm watching some old Survivor Series.  Right now 1988.  Gorilla calls Bret "Excellence of Execution"  I hadn't noticed that before.  When did Bret first get the nickname?  

Also, did Bret and Tully Blanchard ever have a singles match? 

I dunno when that became his trademark nickname, but I feel like I heard Gorilla call him that many times back then.

Funny you mention Survivor '88, as @Nice Guy Eddie had brought that up when we were chatting during Bret/Davey, about all of the dead guys. That monster tag match from your show is an all-timer. Your stereotypical Who's Who and the Bolsheviks.

re: Bret/Tully

I hope those two had a match, but probably not. That tag at The SummerSlam '89 with the Harts vs the Brain Busters is great. I hope that, '88 or '91 is next week's vault show on Fox Sports.

Edited by PetrolCB
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm watching some old Survivor Series.  Right now 1988.  Gorilla calls Bret "Excellence of Execution"  I hadn't noticed that before.  When did Bret first get the nickname?  

Also, did Bret and Tully Blanchard ever have a singles match? 

As soon as he got the Hitman nickname. The former nickname probably would get squashed by upper management today due to its almost graphic nature. It’s okay now because we all got used to it, and they really hammered home the technical aspects to talk around any controversy, but it’s weird that Bret was portrayed as a stone cold killer in the ring. Hit men must have been really popular during that period. Still it’s funny that say a Brutus went further into being a barber, but Bret’s hit man character was very superficial.

What do the aviator shades reference anyway? Only thing that comes to mind is the man that kills Tony Montana.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

As soon as he got the Hitman nickname. The former nickname probably would get squashed by upper management today due to its almost graphic nature. It’s okay now because we all got used to it, but it’s weird that Bret was portrayed as a stone cold killer. Hit men must have been really popular during that period. 

Richard Kuklinski was sentenced to life in prison in 1988...so yeah.

Going to spoiler a Tweet that shows Marty Jannetty apparently confessing to a murder (and using hate speech) and threatening domestic violence, because it’s gross and also because I have no idea if it’s legit:

Edited by Control

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

What do the aviator shades reference anyway? Only thing that comes to mind is the man that kills Tony Montana.

I don't know what they reference but I remember Bret saying he's glad they had him when doing promos.  At least for the first few years he had this nervous energy and would look in all kinds of directions.  So the shades helped him out a ton because they hid all that and it seemed he was a lot calmer than he really was.

EDIT:  Just saw the Jannetty post.  What in the ever-loving fuck is wrong with him?!

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1