DVDVR Message Board

AUG 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

5 minutes ago, zendragon said:

How'd that work out for Steve Williams?

Forget that...it took WWE twenty five years after UWFi (thirty five years after the original and thirty years after the second one) and RINGS craze to get on this train. So they even went further back in time.

• Like 1

OK I just watched a clip of it. That was awful, like really awful. It was the bar room scene from No Holds Barred. Just wait till Vince wants the scripts to be more comedic. Like, holy shit, this was probably even closer to the R Rated WMAC PPV’s.

This isn’t the thing to turn ratings around. I thought they realized the cinematic thing wasn’t working, so they were adding something more organic to the show. Instead it’s... Wow. Hell it still had Dunn’s way overproduced style to it.

Just go watch Fight Zone instead...

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

I'm gonna need context for this.

Fight Zone, and another fake martial arts program were produced sometime around the early 90’s to capitalize on the popularity of fighting games at the time. Some have speculated they were very much reproduced, and sold to PPV to trick unsuspecting buyers into thinking it was the UFC. 

Both programs come off as pilots. Though Fight Zone had about 3 episodes(?) made for PPV, but re-edited in such a way that matches from each episode sometimes showed up on more than one episode. They were shot in the same exact location with similar scripts for the commentary. I think the only major difference is that one is set in a fictional cyber punk future.

Of the two I preferred Fight Zone. It was the 2nd pilot produced, and features Tony Halme AKA Ludvig Borga going under his original wrestling name The Viking looking a lot more like a proto-Lesnar than any other moment in his career. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

18 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Fight Zone, and another fake martial arts program were produced sometime around the early 90’s to capitalize on the popularity of fighting games at the time. Some have speculated they were very much reproduced, and sold to PPV to trick unsuspecting buyers into thinking it was the UFC. 

Both programs come off as pilots, and were shot in the same exact location with similar scripts for the commentary. I think the only major difference is that one is set in a fictional cyber punk future.

Oooooooh, okay. I'm a fan of WMAC Masters and I thought you were talking about something I had never heard of before. Granted, I've never heard of Fight Zone either, and it looked really hokey (and entertaining!)

This reminds me of another PPV show I've seen mentioned on YouTube before, "Future Fights": (shoutout to Oddity Archive)

https://youtu.be/T7_rIIldu8w?t=1145

Edited by The Green Meanie