DVDVR Message Board

AUG 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

RAW return SPOILER just announced:

Reveal hidden contents

It probably wouldn' t be such a baaaad idea except

Shane's biggest plus is that -as a face- he's remarkably over with the live crowds. If you go back and watch any of his returns, the pops are incredible.  I'm not sure he moves the needle much ratings-wise, but bringing him back as a face authority figure who's going to make Raw a "land of opportunity" and give more storyline opportunities to younger wrestlers, is probably a pretty solid idea.  Bringing him back as a heel who insists on people calling him the best in the world while randomly associating with random heels is a bad idea.

I was thinking the new stable would be UE or Imperium, but the Justus name has me afraid it's going to be an Apollo, Mustafa, Cedric and Ricochet stable that superficially touches on BLM

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, caley said:

Reveal hidden contents

Shane's biggest plus is that -as a face- he's remarkably over with the live crowds. If you go back and watch any of his returns, the pops are incredible.  I'm not sure he moves the needle much ratings-wise, but bringing him back as a face authority figure who's going to make Raw a "land of opportunity" and give more storyline opportunities to younger wrestlers, is probably a pretty solid idea.  Bringing him back as a heel who insists on people calling him the best in the world while randomly associating with random heels is a bad idea.

I was thinking the new stable would be UE or Imperium, but the Justus name has me afraid it's going to be an Apollo, Mustafa, Cedric and Ricochet stable that superficially touches on BLM

I don't know what you're worried about.  I'm sure WWE can handle a racism-related storyline with all of the nuance you'd expect from them.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, matt925 said:

Wow Dynamite has three upcoming preemptions. That’s not good. 

The Wednesday, August 19 episode will air on Saturday, August 22 at 6:00pm ET / 3:00pm PT
* The Wednesday, August 26 episode will air Thursday, August 27 at 8:00pm ET/PT
* The Wednesday, September 16 episode will air Thursday, September 17 at 8:00pm ET/PT

I wonder if they are going to riff on WCW Saturday Night somehow for the August 23nd show.

• Like 1

This sounds like a bad idea in the making....

https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/new-faction-arrive-wwe-raw-316756

NEW FACTION TO ARRIVE ON WWE RAW

WWE hyped the arrival of the new faction prior to tonight's show airing and wrote that they'll be out to cause chaos and shake up the organization's structure:

WWE.com has learned that a new faction is arriving on Raw tonight.

The Superstars comprising this faction have yet to be revealed, but rumblings around the WWE Performance Center say that the group is out to cause chaos and shake up the organization's structure.

What does this alliance have in store for the red brand? Find out tonight on Raw at 8/7 C on USA!

Pro Wrestling Sheet wrote that their sources told them "this storyline is specific to WWE and NOT intended to be political."

So.... I'm guessing either babyface MAGA faction, or babyface BLM faction that debuts as babyfaces and turns heel by the early September (aka the New Day playbook).  Of course, Vince is basically tone deaf so maybe it will be a BLM faction that debut as heels.

I really kinda hope it's a BLM faction made up entirely of Shane and some aging white midcarders.  Just for the hilarity.  Sheamus isn't doing much right now, is he?

Edited by Doc Townsend

1 hour ago, caley said:

It probably wouldn' t be such a baaaad idea except

Reveal hidden contents

They will be lead/inspired by Ron Simmons on the anniversary of his World Title win.

22 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

What year did this Shane teleport in from?

I've got a feeling someone watched the Brawl for All episode of Dark Side of the Ring and thought "it could have worked if only ...".

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

So I guess my suggestion of a shoot style tournament is coming to be. They are so fucking desperate.

A Shoot Style Tournament would be fantastic, they've got some guys who are great at that style under contract. But Brawl for All would be actual shooting. You'd want to give people a few months worth of notice to train for something like that, but of course they won't.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AxB said:

You'd want to give people a few months worth of notice to train for something like that, but of course they won't.

The bigger issue would be them being able to skip commission regulation this time. In the time since the first Brawl for All, most major commissions have cracked down on gym smokers. You certainly can't do them on television.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

4 minutes ago, AxB said:

A Shoot Style Tournament would be fantastic, they've got some guys who are great at that style under contract. But Brawl for All would be actual shooting. You'd want to give people a few months worth of notice to train for something like that, but of course they won't.

Oh they don’t give a shit about CTE anymore. 

13 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The bigger issue would be them being able to skip commission regulation this time. In the time since the first Brawl for All, most major commissions have cracked down on gym smokers. You certainly can't do them on television.

I almost guarantee Vince would try, hoping nobody pays attention because "it's wrestling"

Just now, Brian Fowler said:

I almost guarantee Vince would try, hoping nobody pays attention because "it's wrestling"

15 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Oh they don’t give a shit about CTE anymore. 

WWE does a wonderful kind of side stepping certain political ramifications, but the commission stuff is outside their realm because the states won't allow it anymore. They won't even entertain it. Even the states like Wyoming and Mississippi that contest the BKFC cards and the offshoot shows aren't the wild wild west they use to be. Hell, they've even done shows in Florida meaning they're forced to meet all the requirements of the Florida state commission. If they tried to the same shit they did in 1998, they would get shut down with the quickness. Even the amateur stuff is pretty regulated now compared to 10-15 years, going back to the gym smokers thing where one gym's amateur fighters would have real, unregulated fights with another gym's amateur fighters to decide who is the best gym locally. Six years ago, Floyd Mayweather got in hot water because of the "dog house" sparring footage (a more experienced fighter beat up Hasim Rahman's sons for literally half an hour) at his gym aired on Showtime's All Access, and he got brought in front of the Nevada commission. That's Floyd Mayweather who has made the state of Nevada hundreds of millions of dollars. The whole "we just gonna hold fights by ourself" doesn't fly at all anymore.

• Like 1

Do modern wrestling fans, on the whole, still actually give a single solitary fuck if pro wrestlers are actually tough or not? That shit seemed dated when Inoki was getting Yuji Nagata beat up a generation ago. Lesnar is an obvious outlier but one person is not a trend.

• Like 1