DVDVR Message Board

AUG 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

For me it was Benoit but once he got Thanos'd Punk's win took its place nicely.  And even Daniel winning MITB was pretty cool too.  We were a room full of nerds but man was there all kinds of elation going on.  Omega's title win felt really good as well.  I do wish I saw Kofi's win in a public setting to see how people would have reacted.  I was kind of paying attention but was at a friend's house at the time.  But it wasn't until I watched it back and saw everybody's reactions that it hit like a ton of bricks.

Seeing Eddie Kingston on TNT was a pretty big one for me, but that was more about him as a person than the character, so I’m not sure it fits. 

In ring, Kofi is probably the most recent example for me. 

Daniel Bryan at WM30 for sure, and Benoit at 20 at the time. Jericho winning the title from HHH on Raw in 2000 was probably the biggest one for me purely due to the shock but naturally it was reversed right after so we didn't get to enjoy it for long. Thinking on it now, that particular rug pull may be the moment I started to turn on WWF booking.

11 hours ago, Phil4126 said:

That kid in the Simmons video might be my favorite fan reaction ever. He is ready to explode he is so god damn happy. Our weird current era aside, that’s one of the biggest things missing from the modern era. Moments that just make you so fucking happy that “my guy” finally won, or that fucking prick that I absolutely hate got his ass kicked. They still happen. I felt it when I was there live when Bryan won at mania 30. But I’d be hard pressed to think of another since then. We need more moments like that kid and less “this is awesome”

Mine:

Bret Hart at WrestleMania X, The Undertaker at WrestleMania 13, Mankind on RAW (January 1999), Eddie Guerrero at No Way Out 2004, Chris Benoit at WrestleMania XX, Christian at Extreme Rules 2011, Daniel Bryan at SummerSlam 2013 and WrestleMania XXX.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I know in WWE canon Christian is a former World Champion but I never felt like they treated him as such. It's not the belt, it's more how he was presented. 

Shame Christian never held the WWE Championship, that's THE world title in WWE. The World Heavyweight Championship was great though represented by the best looking wrestling championship of all time, Big Gold. Such a difference to the WWE Universal Championship.

19 hours ago, nofuture said:

El Hijo De Danielson has made his debut.

18 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And Nikki announced that she had her child (also a boy) the day before.

So yeah - the cousins were born less than 24 hours apart

Congratulations to both couples xxx.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

We were at Mania 35 in New York,  Kofi's title win was by far the biggest reaction of the night and many people around me were in tears..  I was holding back some myself.  I got a cool Bryan and Kofi Mania t-shirt too.  One of my favorite moments at a live show. 

As someone that was at Mania 35 to witness that moment live, and seeing fans celebrating in a pure emotional level both inside the stadium and on the train ride back to the city, it just infuriates me even more how badly they dicked over Kofi at the first FOX Smackdown. That Wrestlemania moment, and the months that followed (which I thought Kofi's were the best WWE Championship matches in a long time, as they finally mastered the "underdog face champion fights from beneath and seems vulnerable in every defense but somehow finds a way to eek out a win through pure heart" booking formula with him), all culminating in the main event of WWE's most publicized and most-viewed weekly television broadcast in years....and pissed it all away to put over a guy that would stop appearing on FOX two weeks later (Brock Lesnar), and an ex-MMA guy that would disappear completely from WWE six weeks later (Cain Velazquez).

I was at Staples Center that night as well. The live crowd on that night did seem primed for a Lesnar victory, and probably would have accepted Kofi losing in a even a standard Lesnar competitive squash with a few hope spots, but Kofi looking like a geek jumping straight into an F5 killed even that enthusiasm, and the vibe walking out of the arena that night was the 100% exact opposite of the vibe when Kofi won months earlier.

• Like 2

WWE killing the vibe on a good thing is their booking in a nutshell. 

On a unmentioned note, I really enjoyed Gargano winning the NXT title from Cole at Takeover. Also Homicide beating Bryan Danielson/Daniel Bryan. Christian beating Jarrett in TNA/Impact was a great moment.

25 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Congratulations to both couples xxx.

I read somewhere that the secret (ie not famous non-wrestler) third Bella sister also give birth at the weekend. So congrats to the whole family.

Except Johnny Ace. 

• Like 4

ECWA is coming to IWTV so I'll be stepping up my harassment lobbying campaign for Segunda Caida to finally give us the Complete & Accurate Mr Ooh La La that the fans have been clamoring for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2