DVDVR Message Board

AUG 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

How about the entire match? Or even 75-90% after some lame meaningless setup work. That's the real match. Finisher kickouts at 2.9 starting 2 minutes in and going 35 minutes.

Talk N Shop A Mania was worth every penny. I knew it was going to be a good time when right at the start...

Spoiler

You have Teddy Long saying "Ya I'm here playa. I'm here to get motherfuckin' paid."

I had somehow never seen the Combat Toyoda/Megumi Kudo barbed wire match from the '96 Kawasaki show despite being into FMW as a kid getting into Japanese wrestling (somehow watched more shitty Fuyuki-era FMW than Onita-era FMW). Anyway, it wasn't what I was expecting and while I'm not sure it's my favourite or the best FMW match, it certainly incorporates some of the best elements of the company in its combination of good straight wrestling and dramatic, cinematic and explosive hardcore/deathmatch highspots better than perhaps any other barbed wire match I've seen. That reversal German suplex into the final explosion followed by the spike powerbomb is one of the great one-two spots I've ever seen. That I temporarily forgot about Kudo hitting a perfect Kudo Driver afterwards as the coup de grâce says a lot. 

Also watched the Hayaboosie/Funk tag from the same show and I think I was more consistently entertained by that match because there were no lulls even though they never cheaply wasted big dramatic spots or didn't build up to the escalation of violence. Shit was tight. I still kinda hate Pogo but man, watching his li'l pudge ass stumble around in moments of danger pops me large. 

I want to spend August watching more Zenjo, FMW, and Liger. I feel like I'm okay skipping out on modern njpw for a while and may rethink my world subscription. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

'bout to spend a whole mess of money on IVP Videos. Bull Nakano's retirement show and Big Egg Wrestling Universe on blu-ray? Sign me up. Prices are crazy affordable too.

EDIT: Wait, I can't pay with my credit card? Nooooo! How does this invoice stuff work? What???

Edited by Casey

6 hours ago, Jiji said:

I had somehow never seen the Combat Toyoda/Megumi Kudo barbed wire match from the '96 Kawasaki show despite being into FMW as a kid getting into Japanese wrestling (somehow watched more shitty Fuyuki-era FMW than Onita-era FMW). Anyway, it wasn't what I was expecting and while I'm not sure it's my favourite or the best FMW match, it certainly incorporates some of the best elements of the company in its combination of good straight wrestling and dramatic, cinematic and explosive hardcore/deathmatch highspots better than perhaps any other barbed wire match I've seen. That reversal German suplex into the final explosion followed by the spike powerbomb is one of the great one-two spots I've ever seen. That I temporarily forgot about Kudo hitting a perfect Kudo Driver afterwards as the coup de grâce says a lot. 

Also watched the Hayaboosie/Funk tag from the same show and I think I was more consistently entertained by that match because there were no lulls even though they never cheaply wasted big dramatic spots or didn't build up to the escalation of violence. Shit was tight. I still kinda hate Pogo but man, watching his li'l pudge ass stumble around in moments of danger pops me large. 

I want to spend August watching more Zenjo, FMW, and Liger. I feel like I'm okay skipping out on modern njpw for a while and may rethink my world subscription. 

That '96 show is peak FMW. Not even saying maybe for match quality (although there's lots of fun on it), but just.... it's the most FMW of all FMW shows. Which is weird since Onita doesn't even wrestle on it, he was retired. lol

• Like 2

Guest Edwin
1 hour ago, Casey said:

'bout to spend a whole mess of money on IVP Videos. Bull Nakano's retirement show and Big Egg Wrestling Universe on blu-ray? Sign me up. Prices are crazy affordable too.

EDIT: Wait, I can't pay with my credit card? Nooooo! How does this invoice stuff work? What???

Haven't gotten anything from him in a while, but I believe the payments are with Paypal.

He'll send you a Paypal invoice via email and you can pay with your card through there.

Just now, Edwin said:

Haven't gotten anything from him in a while, but I believe the payments are with Paypal.

He'll send you a Paypal invoice via email and you can pay with your card through there.

Yeah I was talking to @John E. Dynamite about it, and he said it was through SquareUp now. If it's through Paypal though, I guess I need to know for sure, so I can open a Paypal account ? I really need some of these gigantic DVD/blu-ray sets.

21 hours ago, Matt D said:

We watched a Meiko vs Aja match this week at Segunda Caida and I came up with a personal rule of thumb that I think I feel pretty strongly about and would make modern wrestling about 100x better if everyone were forced to follow it:

In almost all situations, finishing stretches should be much closer to 1/6th the length of a match than 1/3rd. 

20 hours ago, Ryan said:

How about the entire match? Or even 75-90% after some lame meaningless setup work. That's the real match. Finisher kickouts at 2.9 starting 2 minutes in and going 35 minutes.

Put these two posts together and the result is the GAEA High Spurt 600 (seconds) tournament matches. 2.9 started immediately, but the matches couldn't drag. Plus Meiko and Aja!

Guest Edwin
6 hours ago, Jiji said:

Watch some WING! Very underrated promotion with some quality wild arena bloody brawls I've posted in the matches thread some time ago.

Guest Edwin
5 minutes ago, Casey said:

Yeah I was talking to @John E. Dynamite about it, and he said it was through SquareUp now. If it's through Paypal though, I guess I need to know for sure, so I can open a Paypal account ? I really need some of these gigantic DVD/blu-ray sets.

He changed his payment methods then. You should be able to use credit card regardless.

Not sure if you'd like, but IVP also offers mp4 downloads which you could always get sooner than waiting for shipping. He'll email you links to Google Drive and you download them from there.

And there's also Quebrada.net who's been around for ages and has an even bigger catalog.

Yeah, I just downloaded ISOs of my order (Matsunaga, Murahama, and Yoshida comps). 

I've watched some W*ang before and it, plus IWA Japan, are like lower rent versions of FMW that are super fun at times but a terrible slog at others. I'll give FMW a deep dive before I get into the FMW at home though.

1 hour ago, nofuture said:

El Hijo De Danielson has made his debut.

And Nikki announced that she had her child (also a boy) the day before.

So yeah - the cousins were born less than 24 hours apart

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

28 years ago today - and still one of my favorite clips/moments of all time

Further down the thread, it is revealed that the kid in question still goes to shows, was at Mania week last year, and is a regular at the Tragos/Thesz HoF and Cauliflower Alley meetings. And has met Ron Simmons many, many times as an adult.

• Like 12

That kid in the Simmons video might be my favorite fan reaction ever. He is ready to explode he is so god damn happy. Our weird current era aside, that’s one of the biggest things missing from the modern era. Moments that just make you so fucking happy that “my guy” finally won, or that fucking prick that I absolutely hate got his ass kicked. They still happen. I felt it when I was there live when Bryan won at mania 30. But I’d be hard pressed to think of another since then. We need more moments like that kid and less “this is awesome”

• Like 10

Omega winning the IWGP crown and Bryan are the only two times I've felt like a fan watching My Dude win the big win as an adult. Ibushi winning the G1 was pretty fucking close to that as well but, alas... Punk winning at Money in the Bank would be like that for many too. I loved it but he was never My Dude.

Edited by Jiji

Eddie at No Way Out, Benoit at WM20, Punk at MitB 2011, Bryan at WM30, and Kofi at the prior year's WM are all my examples of feeling wrestling catharsis. Probably Jericho/Benoit vs HHH/Austin too...maybe.

• Like 4

We were at Mania 35 in New York,  Kofi's title win was by far the biggest reaction of the night and many people around me were in tears..  I was holding back some myself.  I got a cool Bryan and Kofi Mania t-shirt too.  One of my favorite moments at a live show. 

• Like 3