DVDVR Message Board

AUG 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Aside from Eddie Kingston getting officially signed by AEW, the big news last night was that Chad Gable *might* have gotten his name back.  

One can only hope.  

Enjoy August.  Especially as the US is like 2 weeks from locking down again. 

• Like 1

It's an absolute travesty how the WWE fucked up Chad Gable. You run an storyline about an illegitimate son for Kurt Angle... and you don't go with the dude that actuslly is a pocket sized Kurt Angle in every which way? Everyone saw from the moment Aa came together that Gable was the real star of that team. Vince was so predictable in going for the dude that just stood on the ring apron and got the hot tag all because he was over 6' tall.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Aside from Eddie Kingston getting officially signed by AEW, the big news last night was that Chad Gable *might* have gotten his name back.  

One can only hope.  

Enjoy August.  Especially as the US is like 2 weeks from locking down again. 

Corbin noticeably called him "Chad" during the promo that set up the angle later in the show last night.

I’ve always thought a Chad Gable adventure in Japan would be fun. Doesn’t even have to be NJPW, I think he’d be great just about anywhere over there.

Secretly holding out for Gable v Suzuki at one of those WM weekend supershows in a few years.

3 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

It's an absolute travesty how the WWE fucked up Chad Gable. You run an storyline about an illegitimate son for Kurt Angle... and you don't go with the dude that actuslly is a pocket sized Kurt Angle in every which way? Everyone saw from the moment Aa came together that Gable was the real star of that team. Vince was so predictable in going for the dude that just stood on the ring apron and got the hot tag all because he was over 6' tall.

Jason Jordan was fantastic and coming into his own as the passive-aggressive, spoiled brat pseudo face. His neck injury was a blow.

• Like 5

Very unfortunate injury for Jason Jordan. Gable was the better wrestler but Jordan had a lot of charisma, he just needed more time. Calling either Kurt Angle’s son is pretty silly, why couldn’t he have just been their coach or something? (Don’t answer that.)

Edited by Godfrey

Just watch that one match Gable had on 205 Live earlier this year with...I want to say Gulak to know how good he is and it's not just him being carried. He's not even that damn short. You have Rey, Jr. on your roster and you're making short jokes about a guy who is probably legit 5'8" that you can also lie about. Remember kids, Chris Jericho was really 6'4".

2 hours ago, Godfrey said:

Very unfortunate injury for Jason Jordan. Gable was the better wrestler but Jordan had a lot of charisma, he just needed more time. Calling either Kurt Angle’s son is pretty silly, why couldn’t he have just been their coach or something? (Don’t answer that.)

I call shenanigans on the Jason Jordan having a lot of charisma thing. He was coming into his own when he got injured, but he was floundering with the forgiving NXT crowd until he paired up with Gable.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

I call shenanigans on the Jason Jordan having a lot of charisma thing. He was coming into his own when he got injured, but he was floundering with the forgiving NXT crowd until he paired up with Gable.

You're right about NXT but this is their SDL debut and I think even by this point he was starting to show something.

And here's him in a later promo and again, with some time I think he could have grown into a decent heel. Not a done product by any means but he didn't look out of place with Reigns and Samoa Joe and that's not easy.

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

I thought Gable was clearly the better half of AA, but Jordan carried his own with overall. 

Yes? Yes?!?! YES????!!!!!

"Overall..." ---

Aplomb?

Grace?

Fire? 

Style?

Workman-like stoicism?

Civic pride?

Panache?

We gotta know, don't leave us hangin', Mr. F!

- RAF

Gable is right there with Ricochet in the “how did they fuck this up” area. Dude is a sawed off legit shooter with loads of natural charisma. He’s short, but not small. At absolute bear minimum you debut him with a Team Taz sort of deal where he does all his explosive shooty shit in squashes while commentary puts over how his lack of height is an advantage for his style due to leverage or whatever. 

He’d kill it in NJPW.

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 6

23 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Gable is right there with Ricochet in the “how did they fuck this up” area. Dude is a sawed off legit shooter with loads of natural charisma. He’s short, but not small. At absolute bear minimum you debut him with a Team Taz sort of deal where he does all his explosive shooty shit in squashes while commentary puts over how his lack of height is an advantage for his style due to leverage or whatever. 

That sounds like killer booking

BUT

That isn't "GOOD SHIT" enough for Vince lol

• Like 1

We watched a Meiko vs Aja match this week at Segunda Caida and I came up with a personal rule of thumb that I think I feel pretty strongly about and would make modern wrestling about 100x better if everyone were forced to follow it:

In almost all situations, finishing stretches should be much closer to 1/6th the length of a match than 1/3rd. 

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 2