DVDVR Message Board

AUG 2020 WRESTLING GIFS

I'm going to finish this one off since we're away this week:

Some fall finishes here but it's more of a historic match than anything else, so I'm ok with getting these out now. Say what you would about him but he did have some great finishers. 

BN0YzJ.gif

Just some good mauling here:

E8oVDk.gif

This is a sleeper, and I've maybe never seen it's type before. It works exactly the same way but instead of pressing the arms into the arteries, you're pushing the fingers in acutely. I really like how he steps through the arms as well. 

L7yVN4.gif

• Like 3

On 8/8/2020 at 2:05 PM, Jiji said:

Do we know which Hayashi/Kondo match this is from? They had 6 in AJPW. 

Not sure. Its not either of their title matches because those took place in Sumo Hall. This one clearly is in Korakuen. That is also VDM Kondo pre-Suwama team so it has to be somewhere in the 05-07 range. May not be a singles match.

Edited by Eivion
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Matt D said:

Not quite the Mascaras flying headbutt but it gets the job done:

zvjw08.gif

Zinedine Zidane got a red card for doing that. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

giphy.gif

This gif is massive and I tried to cut out as much superfluous shit as I could but you gotta see Julius Smokes sell the Ole Kick from Joe. Smokes was incredible. That's some WB cartoon type selling shit that puts D-Von's leg shakes to shame.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Is that a shot at NXT because apparently everybody has to jump over the ropes and land on their feet for a staredown?

Sort of... 

ca5aa7863ca55a4f24891e34abe7c27997878f99

if you were wondering, he fucked it up, and they re-shot it. A week later it was revealed he fucked his leg up during the fuck up.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Sort of... 

ca5aa7863ca55a4f24891e34abe7c27997878f99

if you were wondering, he fucked it up, and they re-shot it. A week later it was revealed he fucked his leg up during the fuck up.

It seemed obvious because of the jump cut. Were there people that thought he hit it cleanly? 

I'm not clear on exactly when the meeting happened, but Onita was looking for a co-promoter to run an explosion match in the US,  it was during the time when both Terry Funk and Cactus Jack were in the WWF, and he wanted one of them for the match. Obviously this never came to pass. Some Japanese media were there which is why we have film of it. I have to assume this meeting is also what led to Vader wrestling Shamrock once in FMW, and that bizarre Shawn Michaels guest referee spot.

• Like 2

Wiki said it was supposed to be Sandman vs. Onita Exploding BW in ECW. Yet, he showed up to interfere in a Sander/Dreamer vs. Dudleys match in June and was back in Japan by July.

I still remember seeing the photo in PWI of him with the flaming barbed wire plank of wood and marking out.

Okay, here's the deal about the explosion match from the Youtube link

The story is that Vince was willing to consider Onita's proposal to do an explosion match in the U.S. for WWE, possibly in Amarillo, TX at Terry Funk's ranch, against Funk or Cactus Jack, so Onita met with Vince at WWE headquarters in Stamford, CT. The explosion match didn't end up happening until 2017 in CZW (and even then, it wasn't an exploding ring match) despite Onita trying to do it in ECW against Sandman, CZW against Terry Funk, and XPW against Sabu. Big Van Vader and Ken Shamrock of WWE did wrestle each other in FMW and Shawn Michaels refereed Hayabusa vs. Mr. Gannosuke. From what I heard from FMW superfan Bahu, the reason Shawn did the gig was that "Dr. Death" Steve Williams (then in WWE) pulled out of an FMW show. The other story that of course goes around is that Shawn's TWA trainees Bryan Danielson (Daniel Bryan) & Lance Cade were allowed to tour with FMW in return for Shawn doing the refereeing gig. I don't know if the Steve Williams story is true. That's just what I heard from Bahu many years ago.

I remember the talks with Funk and Amarillo from Terry's book now.

8 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

I think that was in Foley's first book too. Wasn’t the idea supposed to be him vs Funk at Mania 14?

Yep but it was called off because Vince didn't think new viewers for WrestleMania XIV brought in by Tyson/Austin/Michaels would want to see a death match on Funk's ranch vs. Foley. Wouldn't make a good first impression.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1