DVDVR Message Board

On My Own, Once Again - SDL - 7/31/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Well, looks like they're finally going to do something interesting with Alexa Bliss.  Though I might have done it so that she wasn't reluctantly clawed, I dunno. 

At least Big E won.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Well, looks like they're finally going to do something interesting with Alexa Bliss.  Though I might have done it so that she wasn't reluctantly clawed, I dunno. 

At least Big E won.  

I think a lot of it was them wanting to make a big deal out of the fact The Fiend was attacking a woman. Since it’s the type of angle they’ve not done in awhile. 

Now the question will be does Braun destroy The Fiend at Summerslam or do they go all in on an Alexa heel turn?

So has nobody noticed how Drew Gulak's gear looks awfully Confederate Flag-ish?

Looks like they're building for a hair vs hair match between Mandy and Sonya. I wonder who could possibly be losing that one?

• Thanks 1

Just now, AxB said:

So has nobody noticed how Drew Gulak's gear looks awfully Confederate Flag-ish?

Looks like they're building for a hair vs hair match between Mandy and Sonya. I wonder who could possibly be losing that one?

I noticed, but I thought it was just me. It’s nice to see it’s not. My mind immediately went to why is Gulak wearing confederate flag trunks? 

7 minutes ago, AxB said:

Lacey and Naomi made a real pig's ear of the Powerslide Destroyer, didn't they?

Because Lacey wouldn't flip over and actually take the bump for it. I hate garbage like that. Either take the bump or flat out say you don't want to try the move.  And they still have Lacey messing with Naomi's hair, which is tone deaf on every level.

Taking Alexa to presumably appease Braun to stay under Fiend's control has potential.

Edited by Burgundy LaRue
  • Like 5

Metalik/AJ was solid.

E/Miz was decent and it was good to see E get a win.

Lucha House Party vs. Cesaro/Nakamura should b a fun feud.

Gulak/Corbin was solid. Gable working with Corbin feels weird, but at least they are doing something with Gable. It was good that they didn;t pretend their feud from last year never happened. Hopefully Gable regains his name.

Naomi/Lacey was fun outside of that weird sliding powerbomb/destroyer attempt. Its not a bad thing to try new things, but its clearly something they weren't ready for.

Sonya murdering Mandy backstage was great. Not sure how I feel about the obvious hair vs. hair match being built here. Have to say it is at least the first time in WWE where it feels like a legit hate feud coming alive for the stip instead of the random times its been done in the past.

Bayley/Nikki was decent. Not sure how I feel about the post match with Alexa and the Fiend though I kind of want to see Alexa kidnapped and turned into Sister Abigail. Would be a nic ewa of screwign with Bruan and Nikki.

Edited by Eivion

3 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Because Lacey wouldn't flip over and actually take the bump for it. I hate garbage like that. Either take the bump or flat out say you don't want to try the move.  And they still have Lacey messing with Naomi's hair, which is tone deaf on every level.

She has the longest hair of anyone on the roster, almost stepping on it herself at times, it would be weird to NOT target it.  Like if people didn't throw Rey Mysterio around because he's the smallest guy on the roster, it would be weird.  

6 hours ago, Eivion said:

Naomi/Lacey was fun outside of that weird sliding powerbomb/destroyer attempt. Its not a bad thing to try new things, but its clearly something they weren't ready for.

It's not new. Well, it is, but they didn't come up with it:

That was the first time Trey ever hit a destroyer in his career.

18 minutes ago, AxB said:

It's not new. Well, it is, but they didn't come up with it:

When I say new things I meant new things for them, not necessarily a completely new move or setup. There is little in the way of that.

7 hours ago, caley said:

She has the longest hair of anyone on the roster, almost stepping on it herself at times, it would be weird to NOT target it.  Like if people didn't throw Rey Mysterio around because he's the smallest guy on the roster, it would be weird.  

The length of Naomi's hair isn't why it's tone deaf. 

• Like 1

I understand perfectly Naomi seeing Trey do the Powerslide Destroyer, thinking she already has the Powerslide as part of her entrance routine and wanting to hit the move on TV right away (so nobody else takes it and makes it their signature spot), but maybe wait until you have an opponent who is both willing and able to do a backflip headspike on the floor.

In AEW, when Emi Sakura kept doing hair pulls on Big Swole, Swole grabbed her and said "Touch my hair again and I'll pop you in the mouth". Then Emi grabbed her hair again, and Swole shoot punched her in the mouth. I'm surprised Naomi hasn't done the same thing, honestly. Everyone knows you don't mess with a Black Woman's hair. Naomi had to spend a lot of time (and money) getting it to look like that. It's disrespectful to be grabbing it like that.

I loved the Sonya/Mandy brawl. So glad that they didn’t just drop this before Mandy was able to get some sort of revenge. 

I wouldn’t mind a longer Lacey/Naomi match. Outside of the botch, which still ended up looking impactful despite it all, they were doing pretty good out there. 

4 hours ago, AxB said:

In AEW, when Emi Sakura kept doing hair pulls on Big Swole, Swole grabbed her and said "Touch my hair again and I'll pop you in the mouth". Then Emi grabbed her hair again, and Swole shoot punched her in the mouth. I'm surprised Naomi hasn't done the same thing, honestly. Everyone knows you don't mess with a Black Woman's hair. Naomi had to spend a lot of time (and money) getting it to look like that. It's disrespectful to be grabbing it like that.

There is a presumption here that Lacey doesn't have permission to mess with Naomi's hair in matches. I would guess its something they talked over before the matches themselves.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Eivion said:

Sonya murdering Mandy backstage was great. Not sure how I feel about the obvious hair vs. hair match being built here. Have to say it is at least the first time in WWE where it feels like a legit hate feud coming alive for the stip instead of the random times its been done in the past.

Bayley/Nikki was decent. Not sure how I feel about the post match with Alexa and the Fiend though I kind of want to see Alexa kidnapped and turned into Sister Abigail. Would be a nic ewa of screwign with Bruan and Nikki.

well, classic wrestling logic dictates that when a babyface (Bliss, Crush) is attacked and put out of action by a heel (Wyatt, Yokozuna), the face comes back repackaged as a heel aligned with their attacker against their former friend (Strowman, Macho Man Randy Savage), as they are invariably more angry over their friend failing to defend them during the beatdown and/or failing to call & visit them in the hospital than they are over the heel attacking them [since after all they're a heel, what did you expect and/or it was all meant as tough love to show the victim what a shitbag their friend was all along], so an overt kidnapping & cult indoctrination angle would almost seem superfluous.

and DeVille's beatdown was glorious

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eivion said:

There is a presumption here that Lacey doesn't have permission to mess with Naomi's hair in matches. I would guess its something they talked over before the matches themselves.

I would 100% assume so since Naomi sat there and let Lacey put her hair between the steps and acted like she couldn't get it out.  If she really was upset about it, she wouldn't sit there and let her place her hair between the steps!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eivion said:

I would characterize the issue more as "even with backstage permission, the performance of the act itself (lacking permission in the world of the show) is problematic. "

We also don't know (and realistically, don't have reason to believe) that permission has been freely given.

Edited by Iron Moose

Naomi just tweeted. It was supposed to be a Blockbuster rather than a Destroyer. So... they actually botched it more than we thought they did?