DVDVR Message Board

Cartoons: Help Me Build the Ultimate Collection

twiztor

4 hours ago, nate said:

I got a set of Thundarr.

Best money I've ever spent.

I also have a set of Thundarr. It sits proudly next to the complete run of Dangermouse.

My animated show unicorn is the entire run of Space Sentinels / Young Sentinels. 

• Like 2

I don't think anybody mentioned MASK.

I'm remembering more now... Gargoyles, Rocko's Modern Life, Cow and Chicken, Duckman, Tales from the Cryptkeeper, Street Sharks, Biker Mice from Mars, The Super Mario Bros. Super Show (with Captain Lou!), Johnny Bravo, and probably my favorite of all time... Muppet Babies. That is definitely where my obsession with pop culture got started. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Naturally, my first thought for RG is 

For me, it was always Mr. Sandman.  Me and my circle of friends still quote his "No wars.  No fighting.  Only peace and dreams" mantra.  In that voice.

Enjoyed as a kid:

Rocko’s Modern Life, CatDog, Angry Beavers, Batman Animated Series, X-Men, Beast Wars, Doug, Animaniacs, Ren and Stimpy, Hey Arnold, Proud Family, Dragon Ball Z

Enjoyed as a Man-child:

Sealab: 2021, Xavier: Renegade Angel, Tom Goes to the Mayor, Daria, Clone High

• Like 1

Really dug Muppet Babies also, can't believe I forgot that and Get Along Gang

Talking about stuff that freaked me out as a kid, these were supposed to be kids programming but anything live action with makeup and prosthetics scared the fuck out of me. I'm around 5-6 and have no comprehension of special effects, so I had some major freak outs because I wasnt smartened up lmao

Zoobilee Zoo and this one fairy tales show on hbo maybe? Whenever brain games originally ran, I think there was also a fairy tale theater show? Shelley Duvall was snow white I think, Paul reuben was pinocchio? All that shit of human sized folks in animal costumes scared me bad lmao! I went to a playhouse with my elementary school to see a play once, and they had costumes similar to the fairy tale theater and I was so terrified I ran into the hall and needed a teacher to stay with me til it was over, never went back into the auditorium, never finished seeing the play.

Similar encounter at showtime running away from someone in a bear costume as I screamed my lungs out and ran for my life??? my little dumb ass child brain thought they were monsters and devils hahahaha, it took me til maybe age of 8 or 9 before realizing it was just costumes and all that. Heather Langenkamp(?) was on the 8 is Enough show I think, and one weekend I saw a clip of Nightmare on Elm Street where Freddy busts through a door lite and grabs her and yanks her inside and I thought she legit was dead! Then she pops back up on the next episode of 8 is Enough and I'm going, wait, didn't she get killed? Same thing with the one gay black guy from Revenge of the Nerds, he's killed in Extreme Prejudice with Nolte and I'm thinking he really died???

Something something marks working themselves into a shoot not knowing it's a work, LMAO. Dats me in the 80s!?

Edited by Hayabusa
  • Like 1

I see a lot of the ones I thought of have been mentioned, but I remember liking Ulysses 31 when I saw it all those years ago, as well as Samurai Pizza Cats.

For one offs I'm going for two that aired on Disney Channel way back when, Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp from 1982 (the version I saw is the one with John Carradine voicing the wizard) and Rupert and the Frog's Song. Oh, and the first two Care Bears movies for nostalgia purposes.

On 8/14/2020 at 9:32 PM, odessasteps said:

Whats creepier: talking giant animals or 70s c

mustache?

When I was in the 7th grade my drama class went to UNLV to see a production of Twelfth Night.  Probably about halfway through I realized that Olivia was being played by Emmy Jo!

Shout out to Famous Classic Tales.

for those curious, i am up to 103 complete cartoon series on my external HD. 

last series acquired: the Slim Shady Show, a seemingly forgotten series that aired on MTV starting in 2000.

currently working on: Scooby-Doo. all of the iterations of this over the years makes for a lot of work, but ultimately i've got 12 "seasons" queued up, through 1985. more to come.

the series that has caught my attention the most is Tron: Uprising, a single season show from 2012ish with solid writing and action and a great visual look.

• Like 1