DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 30: Brunson vs. Shahbazyan (8/1/2020) - Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX)

Elsalvajeloco

Brunson came in with a hell of a strategy. He knew he was gonna take some big shots. He survived them and started crowding Shahbazyan. He didn't allow him to have sustained success. He controlled the pace of the fight. Flurry and then takedowns. Edmen just didn't have an answer to stop it. Big win for Brunson.

• Like 1

I wasn't really invested in the main event beforehand, but with them having a lot of time to fill they kept running Shahbazyan hype videos, and they kept saying he was Boy Rousey, and that made me really want to see him lose.

Besides which, isn't the thinking on Ronda that she came into MMA with a huge talent level from Judo, but her MMA coaching was completely awful? If your unique selling point is that you're a protege of Edmond Taverdyen, I don't see how that makes you worth buying into.

18 minutes ago, AxB said:

I wasn't really invested in the main event beforehand, but with them having a lot of time to fill they kept running Shahbazyan hype videos, and they kept saying he was Boy Rousey, and that made me really want to see him lose.

Besides which, isn't the thinking on Ronda that she came into MMA with a huge talent level from Judo, but her MMA coaching was completely awful? If your unique selling point is that you're a protege of Edmond Taverdyen, I don't see how that makes you worth buying into.

To be fair to Edmond, he's done a much better job with Shahbazyan in that he looked comfortable in every situation be on the ground or on the feet prior to this. I think this fight was a case of too much, too soon. He's not ready to fight any contenders yet which is fine considering he's only 22. I'd rather he lose now to a Brunson, who very much to his credit didn't go immediately into survival mode after the first few hard shots he took, then find out what his weakness is later on down the road. Guys were going to make adjustments to him at some point. Now, he has to make adjustments to the adjustments someone has made to him. Also to Brunson's credit, he kept fighting for those takedowns even though Shahbazyan kept getting back up. Usually, when that happens, the lactic acid build up from those quick, ineffective takedowns pretty much renders guys completely useless as the fight goes on. Brunson gave him no room to operate, which discouraged Shahbazyan. It was either give up his back or keep in the clinch fighting off the takedown. Again, I don't see everyone succeeding with that against Shahbazyan because many guys at middleweight aren't as tenacious. However, that's what Shahbazyan has to look out for now.

It's that problem skilled young fighters get, they aren't actually ready for a legit contender, but they have been overrated into a top ten ranking so that's all that is on the table for them. But the circumstances of it being a late replacement main event, coupled with the undercard running short meant they aired a lot of Shahbazyan hype, and Brunson came across (on the broadcast) as an afterthought or stepping stone. And he's anything but that.

Meltz is saying Giles has heart irregularities and that Maia will be getting a shot at Valentina's title next. Good luck, sister. She at least looks threatening unlike the other challengers to date. 

• jaedmc unpinned this topic