DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 7/29/2020

Dolfan in NYC

MJF would be a great champion option. Opens lots of narrative avenues. Moxley probably doesn't really need the belt right now to be legimitate. Kudos to the idea of a no DQ match where MJF wins dirty & keeps Moxley strong; we know the current incarnations of the likes of Rhodes have a ceiling as a good mid card option because that's what they were for years and years, but we have no idea how engaging the new blood like MJF/Darby can be if pushed to the stars.

Edited by A_K

Jake Roberts turning towards Acher during War Whore's intro made me laugh.  Following Kingston didn't do him any favors.

Cardona didn't look any bigger to me than he did in WWE.  It was called the land of the giants for a reason.

Evil Uno mask teeth were straightened out.  That Dork Order dental plan at work.

Moxley saying he doesn't start fights when his first night in, he started two.

The Lethal Lottery might mean something if random-ass tag matches weren't already the norm with the women.  Is it taking place on FTR tag team appreciation night?

A few calls for MJF to carry the company for a whole year, which is a lot for a 24 year old kid with limited TV experience. I am not saying he can't do it, but it would be a daunting task and one I would hope they have a plan for because a series of fuck finishes in their world title matches is not a great idea. How does MJF do in the mercurial demos~? Is he a channel changer at all?

30 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

A few calls for MJF to carry the company for a whole year, which is a lot for a 24 year old kid with limited TV experience. I am not saying he can't do it, but it would be a daunting task and one I would hope they have a plan for because a series of fuck finishes in their world title matches is not a great idea. How does MJF do in the mercurial demos~? Is he a channel changer at all?

I changed the channel and never turned it back during this weeks promo

I thought MJF delivered the promo wonderfully, but I couldn’t really get with the content of the promo per se, and that type of segment in general is something I watch stuff like AEW to get away from.

• Like 3

If they book MJF as World Champion the way the WWE books guys in their first title runs (as underdogs riding their luck, but who know they don't actually deserve it), that's probably the best use of him. They could even use Dustin Rhodes for the Punk vs Flair/ Miz vs Lawler first defence legend deal.

Well said @EVA.  I’m a fan of MJef, but strapping him with the title seems a bit or lot premature.  He’s nowhere consistent enough in ring.  I think the smart move, or maybe just what I want to see is, post MJef, Omega feuding and taking the title from Mox.  Playing off their history.  Thus far the ppvs have sometimes lacked the potential for the title match on top being the best match.  No disrespect to either champion, but Jericho is more fun upper middle working emerging stars.  And Moxley too feels like he’s better in an upper card spot working grudge matches.  He doesn’t seem like a guy who needs a belt. Gimme Kenny on top with the potential for the best match and I think they’ve better programmed their ppvs.  At least on paper.

Edited by HarryArchieGus

I am thinking we get the MJF/Wardlow implosion rather than a title change the more I think of it. MJF has improved a great deal in the ring without a tonne of long singles matches but there is still some room for improvement. He's a great talker but not always a believable talker (tho still miles better than Miz in this regard). So yeah, I would like to see him work on consistency in the ring and in believability before winning the title and carrying the show. There was some fine parts to that weird snooty bullshit promo this past week but not overall something I'd want your champion to-be doing a month out before winning the title. 

• Like 2

Have mentioned before but the pomposity of MJF lends itself well to the style of run Angle had on his first Championship win in the early 00s. Surrounded by monsters who carried a lot of the weight of the company too. Recognised as technically brilliant and able to get on cunning. There’s no reason AEW couldn’t craft 6-8 top main event singles guys who all feel like very tenable threats to the champion. The threats would probably feel more legitimate too against a champion like MJF rather than Moxley who none of us ever really bought was in danger of dropping the title in any of his defences so far.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 1

See, I think MJF being the guy to take from Cody what he loves (the TNT title) through shenanigans and continuing to escape defense after defense with the title is what could propel him to the next level. Making guys beat Wardlow before they face him, stalling his ass off to take advantage of the time limit, picking inferior opponents whenever possible, hell, I'd have him introduce a "30 day countdown" so he knows exactly how long he has before he has to defend the title again. Have it be the opposite of an open challenge. It should feel like an act of congress to get a fair, non-fuckwithable TNT title match against MJF. Whoever finally beats him for it would look like a star, too. 

Mox gives the title credibility. Other than Jericho, he's the highest profile guy in the company. Kenny Omega isn't on that level in America, and I'm not sure why you'd beat Moxley with Omega. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, just drew said:

Mox gives the title credibility. Other than Jericho, he's the highest profile guy in the company. Kenny Omega isn't on that level in America, and I'm not sure why you'd beat Moxley with Omega. 

Because he's the biggest name in the company who isn't an ex-WWE guy and all discussions of stigma aside, I think it's important AEW establish themselves as a company that doesn't only run men from the other show at the top. Omega defeating Mox leading to Page defeating Omega is a good path to establishing the relatively new top guys.

Is Omega currently over enough to win the top belt? I vote no. When he breaks up with Page, I think Page is the one who needs to win that feud, which puts Omega further away from the top belt.

I fear that they will turn Cody heel and have him win the belt, and then he will book himself like HHH in Evolution.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2020 at 11:42 AM, caley said:

I almost wonder if one/both them got knocked a little loopy.  There was Shida's weird under-rotation on what I think was supposed to be a Code Red that ended up rolling into the ropes and Diamante looked annoyed about.  Then there was the one spot where Shida was going for the falcon arrow and they just sat there for like 10 seconds.

I think that might be a bit of hyperbole.  The Spirit Squad got mailed back to OVW in a box. There are about a zillion others.  Ryder got cut off at the knees and buried, sure, but "buried worse than anyone I've ever seen get buried"?  He's probably not in the Top 30.

Zack Ryder got put in a wheel chair, had John Cena steal his girlfriend and then had Kane push him off the stage in that chair and he never got revenge. 

I can’t even think of 30 examples of a company making it that blatantly obvious that someone the fans cared about was actually a loser that they should not care about anymore.

• Like 1