DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 7/29/2020

Dolfan in NYC

6 hours ago, Bryan said:

He didn’t even cut a promo, he just beat up some jobbers to save Cody. He hasn’t had a match and wasn’t out there for even two minutes, and you already understand what he’s trying to convey with his new character? I think you’re projecting some preconceived notions onto him.

I was talking about the Zack Ryder character.

9 hours ago, Jiji said:

Whatever they decide to do, I don't think it's a good idea to run back the three man crew they had last night. No chemistry, guys stepping on each others toes, Ross can't carry a TV show anymore.

I've got to highly disagree. That three man booth was my favorite in a long time, almost as good as the couple of weeks we had when it was just Jericho and Tony, which has been the peak so far. Excluding Excalibur seems to be the winning move when it comes to my favorite combinations.

I understand the value of having Jim Ross on the show, and I defend him more often than not, but I just finished watching the show and yeah.. add me to the pile of folks who thought something was up with him as well. It was not his best week at all. Excalibur was sorely missed from that perspective, though I understand why.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Jiji said:

Ew. Yeah, they should probably hold off on them for a while now.

So how does AEW, the "woke" promotion, handle Excalibur? He has already apologized in the past, I'm sure he will apologize again. Is that enough? Do you suspend him? Fire him? I don't have an answer, but I feel like whatever move you take, certain people will complain one way or another. If true that it was Tornado's idea, Excalibur should've told him to try it elsewhere as a part owner of the promotion. Dumb.

Whatever they decide to do, I don't think it's a good idea to run back the three man crew they had last night. No chemistry, guys stepping on each others toes, Ross can't carry a TV show anymore. Golden Boy is under contract, right? I'd rather him fill in for the Excalibur PBP role than last night's shit.

Are we really going to suspend Excalibur for something he said 15 years ago as part of a wrestling angle? What about Styles and Owens?

Hell what about Goldust and Lawler?

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Are we really going to suspend Excalibur for something he said 15 years ago as part of a wrestling angle? 

It's as if you don;t know how society works anymore. Not only will we get on social media and pressure AEW into suspending or even firing him, we will forever and ever brand him a bad person over it no matter how many times he apologizes and/or how many good deeds he does. That's how life in the USA works these days

Edited by BrianS81177
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, BrianS81177 said:

It's as if you don;t know how society works anymore. Not only will we get on social media and pressure AEW into suspending or even firing him, we will forever and ever brand him a bad person over it no matter how many times he apologizes and/or how many good deeds he does. That's how life in the USA works these days

And yet everyone was tripping over themselves to defend James Gunn. 

Dynamite thoughts:

* It couldn’t hold a candle to last week’s Eddie Kingston match but WARHORSE did great as Cody’s open challenger. Cody gave him his spots, and the announcers made him sound like a big deal, albeit at a lower level than your usual “AEW superstars”, which is to be expected. He hit everything he needed to hit, and then disappeared when WE KNOW WHO THAT IS! turned up.

* Brodie Lee’s papers made their Dynamite debut after some impressive outings on Being The Elite. I liked the way that Lee made Colt Cabana leave before throwing his tantrum (can’t let the new celebrity Scientology, I mean Dark Order, recruits see the weirdness too soon) - I was less happy with Anna Jay wearing a different get-up to the other recruits, that shit can fuck off.

* Everything involving the Inner Circle and Orange Cassidy is a lot of fun, and the debate next week will be very funny, I expect. I feared for OC when he first came in, that he has a limited number of spots, but he’s still killing it and there’s stuff he’s done on the indies that will work here that he still hasn’t used. All eleven men in this match worked really hard, which was great until the finish.

* Hangman Page’s big drink ruled.

* Normal Matt Hardy against Sammy Guevara is a waste of both men and I struggle to care about it and it was a terrible way to end a really fun opener.

* The women’s match was just “there” again, and I know they’re hamstrung in that half their roster are trapped overseas, and a few others are hurt, but it’s just so much ehhhhhh. I think I may be one of the only people in the world willing to give Cameron a Chance, though, so what do I know?

* They’re hotshotting the Team FTW/Mox/Darby thing and it needs far more time to breathe, and the ridiculousness of it was highlighted when they announced that Tony Khan had booked Mox against “number 5 contender” Darby Allin in a title match next week. What about numbers 1 to 4? Ricky Starks is far and away the best half of his team, though, and got a lovely receipt from Allin for the ropes thing last week - his back looked so hurty!

* That they kept Excalibur off TV because of a fifteen-year old slur which he immediately apologised for at the time, and has repeatedly expressed regret for, is dumb and playing to the shiftless trolls who go looking for this stuff. Taz was decent in his place, but JR got cranky and horrible without Excalibur to anchor the team.

The racist Excalibur/Owens/Human Tornado angle is a bit shocking to watch even knowing what's gonna happen.  From what I'm reading this was the Human Tornado's idea.  That doesn't give Excalbur/Owens a pass.  Ya gotta be a bit smarter than that.  Even in 2005.  That said, Tornado is lobbying for Excalibur on twitter.  Excalibur would be smart to post a zoom convo, or something like, with HT where they discuss the stupidity of it all along with an apology.  I highly doubt Owens gets any shit from WWE.  

I forgot to comment on the show the other night. I thought it was another great one as AEW has been making some really compelling television to watch.

The opening ten man tag was fantastic. I kinda wish it ended in a double dq/no contest because at this point they have to be building up for Inner Circle vs. Best Friends & Friends in the Blood & Guts/War Games match. I'm just picturing all the ways Marko Stunt could get lawn darted in that.

Cody vs. Warhorse was great. I had never seen a Warhorse match before hand. All I knew about him was he was this guy everyone was retweeting so I figured it was a very good hype campaign. It must be building up to Cody snapping in one of these matches or Arn turning on him because he's not taking the defenses seriously enough. They keep playing up that aspect with Arn being seriously upset that Cody keeps making all these stupid mistakes/underestimating his opponents.

I hope with the Dark Order attack it leads to Cody vs. Mr. Brody. Brody would make a fine TNT Champion and the Dark Order running interference to save the title for him during close matches makes so much sense.

I was surprised Uno and Stu didn't win the tag titles. Between Kenny and Page not being on the same page and FTR, I thought for sure that would happen.

The MJF promo was a master class in heel work. When he was walking to the ring he went full President JBL with the hand sanitizer after each hand shake. The mouth wash after kissing the baby was tremendous. But man that promo. I was not expecting that. MJF almost has to win at ALL OUT assuming they make the match. I like Moxley as champion, but Mox is so much better when he's chasing rather than being chased. 

The tornado tag at the end was pretty good. Cage is going to murder Darby Allin and it will be spectacular. 

Edited by Phantom Lord

4 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

Cage is going to murder Darby Albin and it will be spectacular. 

This just made me think of the two of them in a cage. That would indeed be spectacular. 

4 hours ago, AxB said:

My guessing at the booking for Mox vs MJF is Moxley gets it made no DQ and then Mjeff wins dirty.

MJF having the belt would be a great heel option. 

5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

This just made me think of the two of them in a cage. That would indeed be spectacular. 

MJF having the belt would be a great heel option. 

You know Darby would try a Coffin Drop or drop in on his skateboard from the top of the cage.

MJF would be AEW's best heel option as champion with Jericho out of the title picture for the time being.

If MJF wins the title from Moxley at All Out, Moxley would be the Longest reigning AEW champion by 5 days which could be used as a feud device for Jericho and Moxley. MJF as World Champ could work he's a true heel, he can talk he can wrestle if you are gonna pull the trigger on the younger talent when are you, they've given the title cred by having Jericho and Moxley as the first two champions, plus MJF as champ could open the door for guys like Darby Allin and Page and even Kenny to become Champion, I don't think Kennys had a title shot yet and Darby would have more credibility and stand more of a chance in the fans eyes against MJF. I don't know id have to look at who AEW has on the face side to wrestle MJF off the top of my head He could have programs with Darby, Page, Kenny, Jungle Boy, Orange, of course a return match with Moxley, shit you could run a program for one of the themed Dynamite's of World Champ challenging Cody to the TNT Championship saying he wants to be double champ and also bring up that thanks to him Cody even if he pins MJF can't be double champ because of MJF which can actually help Cody as the match can be more of a point in pride than anything else with Cody winning but the win can eat at him and be some what of a hollow victory as he pinned the champ but isn't the champ and can fuel Cody's inevitable heel turn, Scorpio Sky can start having a break out singles run and become a top guy over the next year and be the won to dethrone MJF at next years All Out.

• Like 1

MJF seems like the most serious threat to Moxley's title by a long shot. They are super high on MJF and while I don't think it's great to put the belt on somebody who would be learning on the job as champion (see: Kiyomiya in NOAH), I could see them doing it anyway. Feels like it's a title change or the start of the implosion with Warldow. 

• Like 1