DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 7/29/2020

Dolfan in NYC

51 minutes ago, MavsFan77 said:

I’m surprised nobody has commented yet on by far the worst free agent signing AEW made (and no I don’t mean Cardona). Who in their right mind would see the #Naomideservesbetter thing, and decide hey let’s sign the non talented idiot from Tough Enough? Seriously. Any woman they found has to be better than fricken Cameron. 

She was looking generally ok in NXT before she was released and had been training for an indy run before the pandemic shut everything down..

• Like 1

Warhorse came off like a Dark-caliber talent out there.  This was the first open challenge match where I felt like Cody maybe hurt himself by giving too much.  Warhorse was just not credible in there against him.

His best years are ahead of him, so maybe he’ll put the pieces together over time, but for now, I really feel like the fact that he’s one of the top guys in the Indies speaks to how thoroughly WWE/AEW have pillaged the scene over the last couple of years.  He’s found himself in a spot he’s really not ready for.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

This show was... A big step down from the past month or so. Commentary not so good, seemed like every segment had something awkward going on. Not bad just a noticeable drop in quality from a classic episode last week and the really good specials prior to that. 

Why are Zack Ryder and the woman who tried to pin somebody stomach down signed and Eddie Kingston isn't? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Man Starks' back. I don't think he was just "selling" after that bump. 

Warhorse vs. Cody I thought was OK. Like decent, sound match. I think that was about the right length.

Matt Cardona certainly looked really tanned and jacked for his debut. It's not that I'm against signing Matt Cardona right now, so much as I'm concerned how much they can really use Cardona right now when they already have a pretty big roster, and they've already signed a number of new guys they need to give TV time WITHOUT getting their second TNT show yet. Keep in mind TNT is supposed to be adding a second show for AEW that hasn't been announced yet. I'm not sure if the pandemic grinded that idea to a halt and they want to wait for a more opportune time to launch that show.

Shida vs. Diamante just seemed off to me. Something either about the pacing or movement just seemed a tad slowed down. 

I know a lot of people are hot on JR tonight. Listening to the show, I couldn't tell if that was just JR being grumpy, irascible  older JR and the guys just going along with it, or if he was really going overboard and pissing everyone off. But that's sort of how wrestling conditions me to read into situations.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

Was that the first time in aew someone was stunned by random entrance music? That was lame. 

Honestly jr sounded normal tonight to me (which I’m not a fan of now, no disrespect intended). 

A down episode after some really great ones. 

Evil Uno has X-Pac heat with me. Dude never shows ass for a guy in his position on the card either in terms of how much he takes bumps during a match, or post match always seems to avoid comeuppance when the baby faces make the save.

Instead of wanting to see that change, it's just "go away child molester gimmick in ill fitting suit jacket". Stu Grayson on the other hand is a big plus every week. Guy takes some crazy bumps and barely gets noticed. Fuck up JR with your dated shitty "don't call me Dick" line.

Omega and Page is the conclusion to Sting and Luger we never got, and it's really enjoyable and worth investing time into.

I think theres something in a Cardona/Cabana tag team down the line. He's perfectly fine as likeable yet obnoxious show opener guy. I suspect they'll try to flesh him out as a serious underutilised guy instead though. That much I'm less confident on.

That MJF promo did no one any favours. Buries Moxley with his shitty Shane Douglas tribute act. Is there any truth to what he's saying? A little, maybe. Enough where people come to the conclusion "hey yeah, he IS a Stone Cold cos player!"...why would I want to see him wrestle that guy then, if he's an inferior rip off thats only in that position because of backstage politics?

I really liked the callback to the last time Darby and Mox tagged, and the fakeout coffin drop on the ramp. That was a nice start to things. Enjoyable TV main event. Ricky looks indyrific with the presentation but a nice promo and he's clearly trying his ass off to stay on TV.

First time I've seen Warhorse. Didn't really enjoy it. Think he blew up a little (or was that part of the Warrior tribute?). Agree with the earlier comments that it felt like it hurt Cody giving him so much. At some point we're going to need a quick Cody two minute win, either through lucky flash pin or dominant showing, just to add credence to him being able to continue to do the challenge week in week out without any toll taken on him.

I fear that Cardona will be Shawn Spears mark 2 - a bland and underwhelming ex-WWE guy who doesn't serve a purpose on the roster, especially now it's filled out more than at the start of the promotion when Spears came along.

Warhorse feels like what everyone said that Orange Cassidy would be, namely a one-dimensional gimmick that plays great to an intimate indy crowd who's 'in on the joke' but loses the magic on a larger platform. There was nothing offensive to his performance but give me Kingston every day of the week compared to that.

Apart from the questionable MJF promo, the talking was one of the more enjoyable parts of the show. Starks is more impressive and has more of a big-time presence than I thought he would after catching him a couple of times on Powerrr. The Colt/Brodie/paper smacking stuff was all fun too.

I know Maffew has the dedicated 'inane Tazz commentary' segment on Botchamania but I have a soft spot for him on the announce desk, he and Tony have a good energy together. He's still great when he turns all-business in the middle of the ring too. I reckon Tony/Tazz/Excalibur would be a solid permanent announce desk, with the likes of Jericho and JR for the occasional big-time match.

EDIT TO ADD: On Warhorse, I also don't think even with the usually giving AEW crowd in attendance it would have brought up the man or this match.

Edited by Custos
  • Like 1

I suspect that Eddie Kingston hasn't been hired because of his NWA contract. I think it was a different story with Ricky Starks, wasn't it? His contract or whatever legitmately ended, whereas I don't know if Corgan is letting people out of their deals (but he's definitely letting them work wherever they can right now, but AFAIK nobody has signed anywhere except Starks). I might be wrong, but that's how it's coming off. Either that, or maybe one side (or both) just has no interest in a long term contract.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Custos said:

EDIT TO ADD: On Warhorse, I also don't think even with the usually giving AEW crowd in attendance it would have brought up the man or this match.

There’s a Warhorse/Orange match on Youtube that has the quietest Beyond Wrestling crowd I’ve ever heard.  Warhorse works from underneath and he can’t do a single thing to make anyone give a shit; everybody just waits to pop for OC’s stuff.  It was painful to watch.

Its cool that he’s seems to have found his audience, I just think it’s a very narrow audience until he gets better.

• Like 1

Ooooof what a show

So I guess Excalibur let fly with the N word on some promos many years ago.  That just sucks all around.

The whole presentation of the Warhorse thing was just bad.  Kingston got a promo so maybe do a quick Warhorse package instead of assuming your whole audience is smarky smark and is in the know.  The match was okay.  I still don't like the idea of career midcarder Cody playing the veteran giving all these younguns a chance and givng them a passable match on TV before beating them but hey, he's cosplaying a 70s touring champ so this is what we get.  Speaking of career midcarders, nice to see the woo woo woo guy get a job from his pal while Kingston hasnt yet.

The ten man tag was fun but a bit disjointed and all over the place.  

I enjoyed the tag title match and it's nice that Uno has lost weight.  Soon he'll be "Evil Medio."  SSB isn't so great in the ring anymore.  What was really fun work maybe 7 years ago on their part just comes off as really indieriffic now.

The less said about JR the better.  I thought he was doing fine until he went off on some bitter old office stooge shit about wrestlers being angry about not getting pushes.  Where the fuck did that come from?  And then he went off on some crazy uncle tangent about everyone blaming everything on coronavirus.  Again, my friends, what the everloving fuck?  Is he drinking on commentary?

Combine that worky shooty shit with MJF's very WTF promo and there's a whole heap of Russo-ass no thank you here.  So Moxley is only on top because he's a Stone Cold wannabe and an ex WWE guy?  So is it fake?  What the fuck is the point of all this?

The main was fun, Starks had a lights-out great promo and I feel bad for his back.  Damn.

Over all just not a great show full of shooty bullshit and half-baked ideas.  Khan needs to get this shit together unless he's just happy being 2020 Bischoff -- a guy controlling the purse strings who's just happy to be hanging with the boys.  Right now there seems to be little oversight to the overall feel of this company, with guys doing what they want.  Sometimes it works (like last week), sometimes we get announcers and wrestlers bitching about pushes on air.  Holy shit guys.

• Like 2