DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 7/29/2020

Dolfan in NYC

I haven't seen a full match of his but I get the idea of his gimmick.  Not sure if I like it even though part of me feels like I should.  I'll try and catch a match or two of his beforehand but we'll see.

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

So what is the rest of the card beyond the sideshow match? All I remember are:

Diamanté vs Shida

OC/Best Friends/Jungle Boy/Luchasaurus vs The Inner Circle

Kenny/Hangman vs Evil Uno/Stu Grayson for the AEW Tag Team Titles

I probably haven’t seen enough of Warhorse to form a strong opinion of him. I’ll just say that what little I’ve seen of him did not inspire me to search out more.

That said, I’m interested to see how he does tonight.  So far, everybody has come out of these TNT matches against Cody looking great, so it would be pretty damning to be the first guy who doesn’t.

Edited by EVA

I think WARHORSE is a great worker as well as a great character, and I anticipate page 2 of this thread will be full of people disavowing their previous cynicism and declaring themselves as being aboard his bandwagon.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I've heard of Warhorse but have never seen him wrestle.  Is his gimmick just that he's a small version of Ultimate Warrior or is there something else to it?

Basically, but more Metal.

For some reason I think we are underrating him like we did with Page when we saw him first with the rope & cowbell. 

i’m coming in with low expectations, but I want to be impressed.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

Yeah, I must be missing something here. Warhorse seems like a hard-working kid who had the sense to find a gimmick and play it up. He doesn't strike me as a super worker or a unique physical specimen and he's not going to pop me like Kingston, but he clearly understands what he's doing. If there's some reason his mere presence on a show invalidates the whole two hours, I didn't get the memo as to why.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I find Warhorse to be like those poseur metal heads in high school that tell people how metal they are. If you have to tell people you are metal, punk, or rock and roll, you ain't that. It's such a see through act I find lame. I also hate a skinny little guy (he isn't much taller than John Silver) doing Ultimate Warrior cosplay and no selling and such. Everything about his presentation and work screams dork to me and I find his shtick with Danhausen to be super annoying. There are legitimately good indie wrestlers out there that have both personality and can work. Good for him grinding and making a name for himself on the independents but I really don't want to see his act every week on dynamite or even dark. I totally get that my dislike is mostly irrational and more than a little contrarian though. 

• Like 4

Yeah, I don’t want to pile on the guy, and he’ll have his chance to shine tonight, but he’s always come across to me like somebody who saw the Jimmy Jacobs Huss gimmick and didn’t get the joke.

I just watched his match against John Silver, and my takeaway was “AEW should do more with Silver,” not “AEW really needs Warhorse.”

Edited by EVA
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

He's always been a solid wrestler from what I had seen. And gotta respect him for his over the top love of Dave Bautista. His interview with Excalibur and I think Dan Barry on Highspots is funny because it's so awkward. He basically calls them out for being at the bottom of the barrel. ?

• Like 1

I think I’ve seen more of Warhorse’s twitter skits during lockdown than his matches but he seems entertaining enough. I really liked when he had to take a job at the yacht rock radio station and became “Breezehorse”.  

Cody will look gigantic next to him though.

• Like 2

As a huge fan of John Silver's work in Beyond Wrestling, I'd love to see him shine at some point in AEW. He could be a breakout little scrappy face splitting from The Dark Order, but who knows if we'll ever see it?

• Like 1

Absolutely the way to go with him and Uno. Have Lee get sick of their fucking up and kick them out, though I don't know if you want to split up Uno and Grayson. They've been attached at the hip for a long, long time. Silver and Uno as a team could be fun though.

Cody didn't make Warhorse look like a runt, but Matt Cardona made Zack Ryder look action-figure sized. Did he look that big at the end of his WWE run? Cause you can do steroids in AEW.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

Yeah - Cody doing a segment/match prior to Jericho does Cody no favours whatsoever. Jericho is next level. Bit of a weird debut from Cardonna - what was with that move where he basically just sits on them?