DVDVR Message Board

Raw is the Golden Role Models - 7/27/2020

Dolfan in NYC

36 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I looked at the DVR. The match ended exactly at 10:10pm ET.  Maybe people did give up on it or maybe people tuned out afterwards, how would we know that? Are you telling me that Drew and Dolph drew a higher number? Maybe they did.. I doubt it though. 

No I’m saying that entire hour sucked, but I don’t see the female audience having watched the first quarter of that hour, and just left after that ended. So I think they were bored by the bad booking in general. 

3 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

I respect most of their act and think it could sustain itself for a while longer under better circumstances. But it's getting overdone. That's not on them. Just pointing out what most of us see.

Now that they have all the gold I would think it's leading to someone killing them... that someone likely being Asuka but this is WWE so I can't say for sure they will take the likely route. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MavsFan77 said:

No I’m saying that entire hour sucked, but I don’t see the female audience having watched the first quarter of that hour, and just left after that ended. So I think they were bored by the bad booking in general. 

The booking is mostly hideous but I don't think the count out cheap victory itself was bad,  that is something that's been done throughout the decades. The rest is us speculating. 

15 hours ago, kenyabaxterZXW said:

giphy.gif

This was the only bit of the show I caught.  Ouch.  

What's with the ninjas?  I assume Vince just thinks all Japanese people know ninjas.

20 hours ago, The Natural said:

Did Bayley get ink or is that something else on her wrist?

My wife referred to Bayley's hairstyle as "lunch lady hair".  I lol'ed.

Edited by Doc Townsend

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The quote was "can we say now that Sasha isn't a draw?" by @MavsFan77 followed by more posts of the overexposed discussion. My point was only that their number on NXT was good and the RAW numbers have been abysmal no matter what's going on.

I think everyone knows this is a what have you done for me lately business. Popping one number is not exactly proof you can keep doing it.

As for the rest of the post, Io/Sasha had one week of build,  I don't know how Omega/Page and Best Friends is considered C-Level when two of the guys are main eventers in that promotion 

First off, the tag teams really haven't drawn well in AEW besides a few possible exceptions. They're trying to get tag teams over in the main event, which is definitely admirable. However, up until like a week ago, tag team matches were anti-drawing on Wednesday night. Second, Omega and Hangman are usually in the opener more than the main event so the show starts off with an excellent opener. In addition, if tag teams in general in AEW weren't drawing, face team vs. face team isn't going to do big numbers either. All day on Twitter, it was like the AEW card is great but I'm going to watch Sasha vs. Io if that's the main event and we get no Moxley. It was going to die a brutal death.

Orange Cassidy is someone that they are heavily pushing. 

Just because you're pushing someone doesn't mean it's going to get over. OC didn't really draw with Jericho when they did all the stuff BEFORE they did their match. It didn't resonate with viewers. Hell, maybe now after the match, hopefully people start to dig him more cause it was a hell of a performance from him. I'm saying this as someone who hated OC at the beginning. His act takes some getting use to. Now, I'm a believer.

AEW this past week had no build for Cody/Kingston and that did well. 

I think that's on, "Oh shit, it's Eddie Kingston and not Warhorse as everyone expected." They under promised and over delivered. Plus, most of that show was great.

AEW throws a lot of stuff together last minute and does well. 

They have full card damn near every week. That's not throwing stuff together. NXT, on the other hand, announces 1 MAYBE and I stress MAYBE 2 matches for the next week. EVERY WEEK. In addition, WWE went short term and decided to go all out (pun not intended) for GAB and in the leadup to it. Now, they're paying for it big time getting crushed two straight weeks in a row.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Doc Townsend said:

What's with the ninjas?  I assume Vince just thinks all Japanese people know ninjas.

They came from weird, random cinematic brawl that saw Profits & Raiders cement their friendship. They have stuck around Tozawa since. I have no idea who thought of it. I think it stays because its part of the wacky world of the 24/7 Title, and Tozawa is charismatic enough to make it work.

57 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Oh, shit @Eivion has me using the word dig now.

Fuck.

Do I use the word a lot? Never noticed. Sorry, I guess.

Edited by Eivion

2 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Do I use the word a lot? Never noticed. Sorry, I guess.

Don't worry. I have many of those: "I mean", as Bill Burr would say as he's making fun of those KUWTK/Real Housewives shows "For me,..." , "Well", etc.

• Like 1

I feel sorry for you all, but this shit is only going to get worse. A title change on a countout is shit we would make fun of WCW or TNA for doing. It doesn't get a free pass when WWE does it and when it happens during Sasha vs Asuka. And that's on top of more fuck finishes than I can count.

Bruce Prichard fucking sucks, plain and simple. Also, Vince sucks too. This is purely Bruce's shitty booking and he would defend it all until he had another heart attack that it's all about the story and the finish doesn't matter or it doesn't matter if the title changed hands or Meltzer would only think this match was good if it happened in Japan or some other racist bullshit Bruce has said. This dude has his head firmly stuck in Vince's ass, which is an inescapable portal to the past.

I really want this show to turn around, but like EVA, I read through the recap and I always just shake my head at how lousy the booking is. Vince and creative how no idea how to create stars, they only know how to cater to a past that so few even give a shit about, they perfectly understand how to devalue anyone that comes up from NXT, and rather than an entire shakeup with the leadership and creative at WWE to try an actual fresh direction, they'll just do some shit like having Orton lose to Drew and then have TUE beat the shit out of Drew post-match ala their debut as a group at Takeover. And then they'll have TUE or Adam Cole lose because to Bruce and Vince and others, wins and losses don't matter.

Edited by Craig H
  • Thanks 1

Dave made a similar point I was making about the finish. It sucks and they do it too often but it's the type of shit they'd do in the 80's to piss people off and make everyone want to see Asuka murder them at the next show. Once upon a time it was accepted. That's the mentality Bruce has in 2020.

• Like 1

That's one part of the problem, that Bruce is using a mentality that would have worked in territories in the 80s. The other part of the problem is that we've seen over and over again that WWE minimizes faces and makes them look like idiots. Why should anyone think it will be any different this time around? If it were me, I'd have Asuka come out as evil clown Asuka with a mouthful of blood or something. Then she needs to straight up murder a bunch of fools that Sasha and Bayley throw in front of her on the way to taking the title back.

Instead it's not unimaginable to think they'll make Asuka look like an idiot, she won't win the title back, her big revenge will be misting Sasha (something she's done already), and we'll wind up with Bayley vs Sasha instead.

Edited by Craig H
  • Thanks 1

Tuned in to see Sasha/Asuka and it was really good until the end but that end was really disheartening. One of the things that sunk WCW by all accounts was their terrible finishes which would essentially render the match pointless and therefore not worth getting invested in. Winning the title on a count out is Good Heel Move and under normal circumstances I think we'd be more apt to praise it as such, it's just that it's another one in a long, long list of unsatisfying matches that exemplify weak booking and drive away fans. I really think the Fiend/Rollins Hell in a Cell was when they jumped the shark on finishes but I'm sure it happened long before that.

• Like 4

On 7/28/2020 at 4:57 AM, The Green Meanie said:

worst-episode-ever.jpg

Seriously, that was terrible. I really, really, really want Sasha to go away. (And NOT to AEW, no one deserves that.)

EeDCuEoX0AA3JyQ?format=jpg&name=900x900

Found this picture today and couldn't resist.

12 hours ago, Doc Townsend said:

Did Bayley get ink or is that something else on her wrist?

My wife referred to Bayley's hairstyle as "lunch lady hair".  I lol'ed.

It's a tattoo on Bayley's wrist. Think Bayley's had it a while to go with one on the back of her neck.

12 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The quote was "can we say now that Sasha isn't a draw?" by @MavsFan77 followed by more posts of the overexposed discussion. My point was only that their number on NXT was good and the RAW numbers have been abysmal no matter what's going on.

As for the rest of the post, Io/Sasha had one week of build,  I don't know how Omega/Page and Best Friends is considered C-Level when two of the guys are main eventers in that promotion and Orange Cassidy is someone that they are heavily pushing. AEW this past week had no build for Cody/Kingston and that did well.  AEW throws a lot of stuff together last minute and does well. 

Your last line accidentally hits the nail on the head as to why I watch AEW and don't bother with RAW (unless someone IM's me to let me know that Asuka is on), AEW still conveys the feeling that "anything can happen", whereas in McMahonland you know what you're going to get ad nauseam. I like some of the performers, but the whole deal is beyond played out and stale, there's just no reason to watch. 

AEW absolutely throws some shit together a lot of times.  Just because a graphic appears on a screen doesn't mean there's "build". They will just be like "Next week Omega faces Archer!" 

I don't think there's anything wrong with it, it usually works out for them pretty well. 

12 hours ago, Doc Townsend said:

This was the only bit of the show I caught.  Ouch.  

What's with the ninjas?  I assume Vince just thinks all Japanese people are ninjas.

FIFY

Before the shutdown fans were reacting very well to McIntyre's chase, and now there's no crowds to feed off of. It's crazy to think they have Dolph slotted in the same role as a year ago with Kofi. The booking has done either Champ any favors, especially if you want to establish your new champ. His first defense against Seth was one of my favorite Pandemic era matches so far and they give him Dolph?

Sasha and Bayley are great heels, but like Meltzer says those finishes such. Even if they do generate hear,the audience aren't even sure if Asuka is going to get her revenge. Asuka is a great Babyface but I don't think people are waiting to so her finally go over. 

6 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

AEW absolutely throws some shit together a lot of times.  Just because a graphic appears on a screen doesn't mean there's "build". They will just be like "Next week Omega faces Archer!" 

I don't think there's anything wrong with it, it usually works out for them pretty well. 

Your comment was that they throw shit together last minute, and now you're saying they throw shit together a lot of times. By all accounts, Dynamite is written out in advance and the last time Tony had to go through and make hasty changes was when everything got shut down and when they were moving from location to location. Even in that instance, they wrote weeks of TV in about one or two days. Again, this is why you have the match graphics. That graphic in and of itself shows that there's a build from week to week. It's why you had this unstoppable movement towards the Dark Order being the centerpiece of the promotion at the end of 2019 when no one gave a shit about the Dark Order.

As a viewer, you can also easily see the ebb and flow of the booking. Everything really ratchets up to the upcoming PPV, the next week or two of TV after the PPV is still pretty must see for the most part, then there's a bunch of weeks that just serve as table setting and filler really, and then they're back to the period where they're sprinting to the PPV and ratcheting everything up again.

I would be willing to bet that wins and losses are all mapped out to setup title challengers, defenses, and feuds. Everything typically connects very well and if something does come together last minute, then I would imagine it's a situation where they were able to use a freelance wrestler and they tried to find a way to work them in.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

On Fight for the Fallen I don't remember a build for Cody vs. Sonny Kiss or the Elite vs. Jurassic Express. Both good matches but if there was build I don't remember it.

Cody's gimmick right now his coach matches him against the best and toughest available for their shot at glory by potentially beating him. You can forgive them if they don't have a two month build for every month. 

Jurassic Express vs. Omega & the Bucks was to sow the seeds for a future heel turn for Omega.