DVDVR Message Board

Zimmerman Not Guilty

Lawful Metal

Maybe Hawking has his wheelchair rigged with weapons like that old guy in Tomb Of Dracula.

I would sooooo go see a Blade reboot with Gary Oldman as Quincy Harker sitting in the Wheelchair from Hell and Olivia Thurlby as Rachel Von Helsing so long as she still sported the short-haired dirty blonde look from Dredd..

Oh... uh.. yeah....  ZIMMERMAN IS GUILTY.... or something...

And now it's coming out that Zimmerman saving that family was a LITERAL hoax.  A cop who is friends with Zimmerman heard about the accident, called ol' George and told him to get his ass down to the scene ASAP in order to play hero.  Zimmerman didn't do shit, the family was already out of the car and out of danger and there were a bunch of other people already helping them. 

Haven’t posted on here in ages, but of all topics I feel that warranted my two cents, this is it.

First off, I don’t believe Zimmerman is a murderer, and the prosecution certainly overreacted with the second degree murder charge. I felt that was their only major error, besides their jury selection skills. I’ll go so far as to say that given the fact that Trayvon was shot while on top of Zimmerman, and that only one shot was fired, that Zimmerman, at THAT MOMENT (and that moment only), did honestly fear for his life. It wasn’t murder, and he never should’ve been charged with it.

If I was a betting man, I would’ve put the farm on him being found guilty of manslaughter. Which IMHO, is what he’s guilty of. He didn’t act with malicious intent, which is what’s required for the second degree murder charge. But he did intentionally create a situation where the possibility of death was real, via his blatant disregard of the 911 operator telling him to stay in his car, which is really the crux of my argument: You simply can’t claim self defense when the entire situation arises out of your own volition via disregarding explicit law enforcement orders.

As for “Stand your ground?” Trayvon was being stalked by an unknown man for simply walking home at night. If he did in fact throw the first punch (which I believe he did), he only did so because of the close proximity Zimmerman was to him, and believed that Zimmerman was an imminent threat (remember, he’s a neighborhood watch, not a cop, he has no actual law enforcement authority).  Where’s Trayvon’s right to Stand HIS ground? Further, Trayvon wasn’t using any weapons, he was using his own fists, which the law has decided are not “deadly weapons,” thus less justification for Zimmerman to use his firearm. To the people who said Trayvon engaged first, even AFTER seeing Zimmerman with the gun, that’s insane on so many levels: No unarmed person picks a fight when they know that the other individual has a gun. (And I honestly believe Zimmerman would never even gotten out of the car that night if he wasn’t packing heat. As they said in Superbad, having a gun is like “having a second cock.)  It wasn’t a hard verdict, anyone who says that is just using mental gymnastics to justify the outcome.

Regarding the jury, apparently after the jurors delivered their decision, they all broke down and wept. Why would they cry if they honestly believed Zimmerman was not guilty? Or if their “reasonable doubt” was simply too great to overcome? They cried because they sympathized with him (that one juror even said she felt Zimmerman had “already been through enough.” Excuse me?), but still (sub)consciously knew he didn’t act in self-defense.  

In spite the actual verdict, the most disturbing part of all this is the reactions I’ve seen to the verdict: People literally celebrating it, as some other poster noted, as if their team had won the SuperBowl. I could perhaps understand the jubilation if the question was whether Zimmerman shot Trayvon, but it was established that he did, by his own admission. No, they’re celebrating because they can now take comfort in the fact that should they ever feel threatened by a black person, the law is on their side to retaliate in any way they deem appropriate: In short, they’re celebrating their state-approved licensed to kill a minority. “Stand your ground”

Whoever doesn’t believe race has anything to do with this is incredibly naïve. Reverse the roles: If a black rent-a-cop shot an unarmed white kid walking home with Skittles? The very people celebrating this verdict would be demanding the death penalty there.  

Hey Jingus, you got a link to that story?

So far it's only being reported on somewhat fringe-y sites that are pretty openly leftist, so take it with a grain of salt.  All the stories seem to originate from the following article: http://newsball.com/exclusive-pictures-of-the-family-that-george-zimmerman-saved-from-a-burning-car-or-was-it-staged/  It's a rather poorly-written and chaotic piece of journalism in my opinion, but if even half their claims are remotely true then Zimmerman is a great big fat phony.  

Hey Jingus, you got a link to that story?

So far it's only being reported on somewhat fringe-y sites that are pretty openly leftist, so take it with a grain of salt.  All the stories seem to originate from the following article: http://newsball.com/exclusive-pictures-of-the-family-that-george-zimmerman-saved-from-a-burning-car-or-was-it-staged/  It's a rather poorly-written and chaotic piece of journalism in my opinion, but if even half their claims are remotely true then Zimmerman is a great big fat phony.  

The key piece there would seem to be that person's unnamed source for saying a call was made from the officer to Zimmerman just after receiving the 911 call about the accident. If that's the case, then the conclusions made seem reasonable. If it's not the case, then the article is the hoax.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/stateroundup/gov-rick-scott-strong-on-stand-your-ground-backed-by-public-opinion-in/2133663

Gov. Rick Scott doesn't want to change Florida's controversial "stand your ground" law, and public opinion polls and even Democrats indicate the Republican might be on safe political ground.

The self-defense law became central to the nation's political debate over guns after a jury in Sanford found George Zimmerman not guilty in last year's shooting death of Trayvon Martin, an unarmed 17-year-old from Miami Gardens.

But the exact role of the law in the verdict is unclear, and a new poll released last week showed 50 percent of Floridians support keeping the law intact, 31 percent want it changed and only 13 percent want a full repeal.

Deputies in Florida's Escambia County have some explaining to do after they allegedly shot an unarmed man for grabbing a box of cigarettes out of his own car outside his own house.

Roy Middleton was returning home from work early Saturday morning, when he stopped by the car he and his mother share to grab some cigarettes.

A neighbor who didn't recognize Middleton phoned the local sheriff's office to report a possible burglary.

Deputies dispatched to the scene found Middleton inside the vehicle and ordered him to back away with his hands in the air. As he was doing so, Middleton says he turned to face the deputies.

"It was like a firing squad," he later recalled from his hospital bed. "Bullets were flying everywhere."

All told, deputies fired seven shots, five of which struck the car and the side of Middleton's house, where his elderly mother Ceola Walker was sleeping.

At least one of the bullets hit Middleton's leg.

"I don’t understand how they could fire so many shots at him," said Walker. "He wasn’t resisting or anything and he was at his own house."

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement is reportedly investigating the incident, and the deputies involved have been placed on paid leave.

A girl who witnessed the shooting confirmed Middleton's version of events. "He wasn’t belligerent or anything," she told PNJ.

Though Middleton's wounds are not life-threatening, he will require several weeks of treatment before he's back on his feet.

http://gawker.com/unarmed-man-shot-by-deputies-inside-his-own-car-outside-949237195

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/stateroundup/dream-defenders-ending-capitol-protest/2136646

TALLAHASSEE — The month-long student protest in the Florida Capitol will end today, the Miami group known as the Dream Defenders announced.

"After 31 days and 30 nights, we are leaving the Capitol for our next phase," Dream Defenders Executive Director Phillip Agnew said, vowing to register thousands of new voters in the coming months.

Agnew made the announcement flanked by young people holding signs that read: "We've only just begun."

Interesting that this ends four days before classes start.

The group said it was planning to leave the Capitol and march to the Governor's Mansion where it would deliver an "eviction notice" to Gov. Rick Scott.

Scott's in St. Augustine today and won't be at the mansion.

The Dream Defenders' occupation of the Capitol began on July 16, three days after George Zimmerman was acquitted in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin. The group promised to stay until Scott called a special session on "stand your ground," the controversial self-defense law that factored into the Zimmerman case.

"We said if (Scott) would not give us a seat at the table, we would sleep on the floor until (he) gave us what we deserved," Agnew said.

And yet, they're leaving without getting what they deserve.

Scott met with the protesters on July 18 but refused to call a special session.

The Dream Defenders tried to convince state lawmakers to call a session themselves but could not muster enough support.

Agnew claimed several victories. Among them: A promise from House Speaker Will Weatherford, R-Wesley Chapel, to hold a hearing on the stand your ground law this fall.

The group also secured meetings with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement to discuss racial profiling and with the departments of education and juvenile justice to discuss the school-to-prison pipeline.

What "school-to-prison pipeline?"  You, and you alone, are ultimately responsible for where you are in your life.  'I live in poverty' is not an excuse for not doing your homework and paying attention in school and obeying the law. 

Agnew said they decided to leave because the movement had grown "too powerful" for the halls of the Capitol.

I'd be shocked if we ever hear of these kids again.

I bet if, ten years from now, you made a documentary about the current whereabouts of the Dream Defenders, you'd find most of them had become yuppies and are more worried about making their homeowner's association payments or driving their kids in their SUVs to soccer practice or polo lessons, rather than worried about achieving "social justice," whatever the hell that is supposed to mean these days.

What "school-to-prison pipeline?"  You, and you alone, are ultimately responsible for where you are in your life.  'I live in poverty' is not an excuse for not doing your homework and paying attention in school and obeying the law. 

You are most likely a sheltered middle class person.

• Like 2

"I live in poverty" is actually a very good excuse for not paying attention in school.  It's awfully tough to pay attention if you don't get enough to eat.

• Like 1