DVDVR Message Board

Zimmerman Not Guilty

Lawful Metal

I notice some confusion about events and aspects of the story, dispatchers have no legal authority and are told to say "wait for the police" Zimmerman was walking to the cut through to read the street sign (as the dispatcher wanted so Zimmerman could tell the police which street to go to) because they were changed often and the people robbing the houses previously had swapped them for that reason, so Zimmerman was not stalking or pursuing Trayvon (let alone in a illegal manner, ill touch on this later)

Dude... you know how people come across when they say they know Trayvon was totally innocent, and that they know Zimmerman was an evil racist, and they know he was out looking to kill a black person, yadda yadda. That's how dumb you sound right now, only coming from the other side. I agree the aquital was legally the right decision, but that's because there wasn't sufficient evidence to disprove Zimmerman's self defense claim, not because everything happened exactly like Zimmerman said it did. The fact of the matter is, we'll never know most of the details with 100% certainty, so either side is foolish to act like they do.

Also, you should listen to Rev. Whether or not someone screamed doesn't mean anything. You can armchair rationalize and say "that's definitely what I would do in this situation", but until you're actually in a life-or-death situation unfolding at great speed, you really don't know how someone (or even you yourself) would act.

I disagree with everything you said in this statement, except for the last sentence. 

EDITED because I'm not looking to start trouble.

You don't have to worry starting trouble. I'm alright with you disagreeing.

I think you've taken the worst possible outlook to the situation.

I agree with you--to a point.  There are those who are well-intended, but perhaps misguided with not a full understanding of the situation.  There are always bandwagoners in every case, no matter what.  But not everyone is a ginormous tool because of that.

As far as social media being an agent for good--yes, definitely.  But every medium--radio, TV, internet, Morse code--can and will be manipulated for ill gains and means.  It's Pandora's Box being played in front of us every day.

What I wish is that everyone would have respect for how much violence is taking place in our society beyond Trayvon.  Chicago is a war zone.  Pedos snatch kids out of their front yards every day.

Maybe instead of crying about how dumb everyone else, we should work on enlightening ourselves and doing what we can to share that information.  I bet someone out there would be willing to listen.  But not if you label them a fool from jump.

I don't think it's labeling people a fool from the jump. The people I am judging are not people whom I am judging off one or two tweets or Facebook posts. It isn't so much being on the bandwagon because a lot of the people I am talking about were on this as soon it popped up last year. I have no problem with you if it is in line with your character, your beliefs, etc. But many people have found the most convenient way to show their support. For example, T-Rex brought up the pink ribbons. I am not saying I'm the National Football League or anything, but a lot more goes into those breast cancer awareness events. I just didn't show up, put on a pink shirt, take a few pics, and go straight home. Would the organizers of that particular event not call me a douchebag for doing that? And if I did that, I can't go around boasting to other people that I supported breast cancer awareness. Now we had a few passers-by who jumped out of their vehicle, bought a couple t-shirts, talked for few minutes, got pamphlets, and then left. I don't expect you to be anymore late for work or spend your entire Saturday afternoon for events that will happen again.

When it came to this case, you had many people whose "support" for Trayvon Martin never went past Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and Vine. Even in that atmosphere, nothing that they did was substantive. And if you tried to inform them, you would get resistance as expected. Some of those folks just don't want to know what Stand Your Ground is or know how the prosecution could have done their job better. Instead it's a bevy of social media posts letting their followers and friends know that they did this and that with #JusticeForTrayvon at the end. Then, there is a group that not only does that but have the nerve to somehow connect the case to their disaster of a life. Why would they want to learn when they can just conveniently spread misinformation and be done with it? If what is going in Chicago can't appease their desire to feel important, they won't fuck with it. I have family members that live in the parts of Chicago where black youths are begging for their lives and getting executed in front of their family. And their grandparents were a part of the Great Migration. Some of their mentality from the 50s and 60s has been passed down to them directly and indirectly. So, I understand why people would just want to let things play out because that's the way it has been going. It's just not on the national news everyday. 

Up until Trayvon punched Zimmerman (supported by all the physical evidence)

Based on what physical evidence?Did you watch the trial?

According to the forensic expert who testified there was no DNA from Martin on Zimmerman's gun.

The story that Zimmerman told his friend (again Zimmerman did not testify so we only have the stories he told others) was that Martin grabbed Zimmerman's gun and Zimmerman somehow luckily was able to wrestle it out of Martin's hands.

Forensic expert said that there was no physical evidence to demonstrate that.

Forensic expert also testified that he found none of Zimmerman's DNA on Martin's fists or clothing that would match up with Martin beating Zimmerman bloody.

Because of the SYG law the police didn't take Zimmerman's clothes at time of killing, so the only physical evidence we have would be that found on Martin and Martin's clothes. None of which backs up Zimmerman's story.

So up until Trayvon touched Zimmerman he had no idea if Zimmerman wanted to do him harm, that is self defense out the window for Trayvon

Again this is taking Zimmerman's word (or the word of his friend who testified as to the story Zimmerman told). We have no way of knowing if Zimmerman approached Trayvon wielding gun, threatening him or anything else, we just have the word of the friend of the shooter against a dead kid who can't tell his side of the story. 

There is also Trayvons missing 4 minutes he had to run home

Martin's furtive movements were one of the reasons Zimmerman's defense gave for Zimmerman giving chase.If your going to complain that someone is suspicious for running you can't also turn around and complain that there is something suspicious about not runningYou can get shot for running (why did he run if wasn't guilty)You can get shot for moving slow (why is he moving slow, he must be guilty of something).

Posted Today, 11:16 AM

If Trayvon did fear he was going for a gun then why not scream for help because he had a gun?

Really?Really?

Are you one of those people who believes it isn't rape unless she screams, too? 

Trayvon should have stopped running the first time and just turned around and say "fuck you my dad lives here" when Zimmerman asked him what he was doing.

No one has testify that Zimmerman asked him "what are you doing here?"?I'm not sure how Martin is supposed to just instinctually figure out the reason Zimmerman is following him. At no point has anyone testified that Zimmerman announced "I'm a self declared head of neighborhood watch".That is not part of Zimmerman or anyone else's story.In fact in the lead detective's write up he pointed out that Zimmerman did not identify himself as concerned citizen.Martin had no way of knowing if Zimmerman was following him because Zimmerman was a mugger, lunatic, rapist or wannabe Batman.

Why would anyone announce "hey this is the reason I'm in this neighborhood" to someone pursuing him?Would you?

There is also the evidence that Trayvon was quite violent and used to fighting, but that was not entered into the court case so is irrelevant.

We also know that Zimmerman was arrested for resisting an officer with violence and battery of a police officer, his former fiancé had put a restraining order against him for domestic violence, and his cousin accuses him of molesting her when she was between the ages of 6-16 ( I don't know if she screamed).

I still think Zimmerman put together an absolute shambles of a neighborhood watch, he should have contacted the other watch members at home and informed them to watch Trayvon. That does not mean his actions were necessarily wrong but if he was a competent watch coordinator he would have had a better system in place from the get go.

He is a self declared "captain of a neighborhood watch". According to the National Sherriff's Association which is the parent group of USAonwatch Neighborhood Watch, he was not a member of any group recognized by the organization.  Being part of an actual registered Neighborhood Watch group allows you training and for watch group to coordinate and communicate with police. The National Chair of Neighborhood watch also has said that Zimmerman probably would not have been allowed to start or participate in the program due to the combination of criminal record and particular history of frivolously calling the police.

There is a time to fight racism but this is not the case to do it.

Exactly when do you think racism should be fought?One of Nikki Haley's aides resigned from her staff when it was found out that he was a longtime chair of a white-supremacist group. He defended himself by claiming that he wasn't racist "Racist is when you hate somebody so much that you want to destroy them.”Would you agree that it only racist, if you actively promote genocide or do you define racism more broadly than that? 

• Like 3

They did not have to be there at all. Being an ungrateful shit is a douchebag move.

If you ghost someone on a community service project or anything of that nature, you will get talked about behind your back whether you know it or not. They may be good-natured in front of you, but they're going to believe you did some foul shit. And I agree with that. If you say you're going to volunteer and do certain tasks with planning months in advance, leaving without any sort of explanation will not make you look good in anybody's opinion. Be a person of your word. If it's not an emergency, then why would you leave as soon as you got there?

Maybe it was. I would probably be annoyed, but it is best to just shut up about it. It's not a good look for the charity or cause.

Uh, it's alright to be mad because there is nothing right about it. My wife was a part of this. I know she would curse me the fuck out when she got home. She'll be more than annoyed. 

Words

Some good points (can I have a link on the Sherrifs watch stuff?) a lot of the witness testimony went both ways, this link has the breakdowns of each day of the trial, they go back a few pages. Still nothing concrete enough to think Zimmerman is guilty, and the lack of evidence of Trayvon hitting Zimmerman is lost on me as a few witness's said his hands showed injuries consistent with punching, I think the first responder was the one who said it never added up but she is not trained to identify that. You aren't saying Zimmerman was never hit by Trayvon are you? That is a little .... unorthodox as far as theories go.

Why are you trying to paint me as a rape apologist and a racist, was that really called for? From an admin no less. You managed to put good points forward but did I piss you off that much by having a differing opinion that it warranted such childish behavior next to the better thought out points?

I never mentioned rape or my views on what is and is not racism. Frankly it is a little insulting to be painted that way, if you want to know my views on racism then it is simple. Racism is when someone or a group holds beliefs another race is inferior (or superior), nothing in this case showed that and nothing showed Zimmerman had a hatred towards blacks.

Rape victims often shut down from the trauma and stop fighting in hope they get no further injury, they do not actively attack someone and fail to scream (Maybe a few cases) but the vast majority who fight back scream and shout (still rape no matter what she does, don't try and twist that) to say it compares to Trayvon is assuming the less likely scenario played out, also it's appealing to emotion by comparing rape to Trayvons killing, that has no place in a discussion (unless you legitimately thought I held the views on rape you insinuated).

I'm not going to get an apology, probably a personal ban but I was putting forward what I think and you decided to attack my character. You got some maturing to do and some better discussion tactics to learn.

As a non-american, what I still find more crazy about all this, is how in 2013 Old West rules still apply in modern day US. If you get into a fight with a motherfucker, the next logical step is actually shooting said motherfucker.

That's fucking insane.

• Like 2

My own eyes told me the injuries were minor and the medical examiners only concfirmed that. I'm not saying the injuries have to be significant for self-defense, I'm saying this supposed "attack" did not happen the way Zimmerman would want you to believe. He didn't have his head slammed on the concrete 25 times etc... he has so many inconsistencies in his stories, its hard to believe any of it.

What if Zimmerman is a pussy with a Jay Cutler-level of tolerance of pain?
  • Like 1

Hey Benji.  No offense, buddy, but this is you in this thread:  

Posted Image

All this "Why didn't Trayvon do A, B, C?" is ignoring one thing: human beings are inherently unpredictable in a crisis.  We don't have Terminator-style tactical computers in our heads that give us the exact percentages on every possible strategy.  People freeze up.  People do things and then freeze up.  People mean to say one thing and blurt out another.  People try really stupid ideas that could have never possibly worked.  You're acting like Trayvon should have analyzed the situation like he was goddamn John McClane, when he was just a nervous teenage kid (who might've even been high on weed to make him even more confused when he's suddenly in a life-or-death struggle).  It's not like he was a trained martial artist... ya know, like George Zimmerman, who used to take Brazilian Jiu Jitsu classes.  

According to your logic, the only possible reason why Martin didn't follow some more logical plan of action is because he had nefarious, malevolent motives.  Well then, what about the COUNTLESS examples throughout the entire world's history of people standing around sheeplike and getting massacred instead of fighting back?  All those school shootings where the students just sat there and let the killers execute them one by one, not even attacking the gunmen when they stopped to reload; wouldn't you say that was a pretty illogical, self-defeating plan of action to simply wait for their turn?  Yet they did.  People fuck up during emergencies.  

This reminds me of something my brother, a career military man with a degree in police tactics, told me about the school-shooting victims who allowed themselves to be sequentially mowed down.  His answer is, basically real life doesn't work like an action movie, and most people are not psychologically prepared for a serious life-or-death struggle at a moment's notice.   Basically, as a neighborhood watch guy who had a gun, was trained in martial arts, and was stalking his victim has a MUCH higher level of awareness of the situation than the oblivious maybe-stoned kid who's trudging back from the convenience store to his dad's house.  Zimmerman knew this was a bullet-time situation long before Trayvon ever realized that he was in danger.  Martin had to suddenly go from "damn, skittles taste awesome when you're stoned!" to "HOLY SHIT THAT GUY HAS A GUN WHAT IN THE LIVING FUCK" within a matter of moments.  Most people walk through modern civilized life fairly oblivious at most times, and are the ones who, when the shit really hits the fan, just faint or stand around shrieking horribly or freeze in place like a deer in the headlights or go outside to grab a Squeegee for a weapon or get on top of another guy in a fight and then suddenly have no idea what to do next

Because Zimmerman's injuries sure as hell didn't match that Epic Ground-N-Pound that the defense was selling.  It was a grand total of one busted nose and two cuts on the back of the head which looked less than an inch long.  That literally could've happened without Martin beating his head against the pavement at all, if Trayvon had just knocked George with one good shot to the face and Zimmerman fell backwards and didn't tuck his chin.  (And any wrestling trainee, after the first day of bump training, can tell you in graphic detail about how easy it is to blast the back of your skull against the floor even when you're not being forced backwards by an opponent.)  

The only evidence that didn't happen is... Zimmerman's word.  And why the hell should we trust a single word this guy says?  HE'S THE FUCKING SHOOTER.  Of course he's going to try to paint himself in the best light.  But he's been caught lying, contradicting himself, changing his story, and financially profiting off his crime.  All that is matter of public record, none of it is creative interpretation; this is clearly a guy who is not trustworthy and his version of events should be considered a creative theory at best.  

So yeah, I disagree with Mr. The Hunted up there.  

• Like 5

As a non-american, what I still find more crazy about all this, is how in 2013 Old West rules still apply in modern day US. If you get into a fight with a motherfucker, the next logical step is actually shooting said motherfucker.

That's fucking insane.

Somebody else pointed out the other day on Twitter, that it'd still only be legal in the old west if the other man was armed.

• Like 1

Can we all agree Ted Nugent is an asshole?  http://rare.us/story/nugent-zimmerman-should-sue-trayvons-parents/

Last week, alleged draftdodger and known pedophile Teddy the Nuge  said that racism ended in the 60s.

Nugent concluded by claiming that, “racism against blacks was gone by the time I started touring the nation in the late [19]60s” and by the 1970s, “nothing of consequence existed to deter or compromise a black American’s dream if they got an alarm clock, if they set it, if they took good care of themselves, they remained clean and sober, if they spoke clearly, and they demanded excellence of themselves and provided excellence to their employers.”