DVDVR Message Board

Zimmerman Not Guilty

Lawful Metal

Glad that everyone who was predicting riots turned out to be not having enough faith in Americans.

I'll admit I'm very surprised that nothing happened. I also will not apologize for thinking that something would. It's not just a lack of faith in Americans, it the whole of humanity that I have no faith in. To quote Bill Hicks: "People suck...we're a virus with shoes".

That said, it's nice to be proven wrong about humanity once in awhile.

Good lord.  Do you know anything about police at all? Or criminal court cases? I hope you are aware that white people, hispanic people, and asians get killed as well and sometimes their killers are acquitted.  Every thing that happens on this planet that involves people of two different races isn't automatically about race.  

I have to say I wasn't surprised of the outcome simply because of the lack of evidence and how the law itself is written. I feel like instead of pushing for a trial where they weren't going like the result and which really wouldn't affect future instances, people should have spent their time drawing attention to the law and putting pressure on politicans to change it.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Be honest, do you sincerely think that the different things that happened in this case, slow police response time, words used to decribe the Child like thug and the acquittal, if he were white? 

In other words you admit there is no evidence of racist anything in the facts of this case.  I'm not usually game for playing any loaded rhetorical question games.  I'll answer anyway, though.

1.  I've seen plenty of slow police response over the years to know it happens everywhere. 

2.  Are you really going the Chris Matthews route and going to convict a man based on your biased belief of potential "dog-whistle" words?

3.  If Trayvon Martin were white, and all the other facts of the case remained the same (as I know them), yes I honestly believe in the state of Florida Zimmerman would have walked.  I know for a fact it wouldn't have national news.

The state could not even give a version of events that night, such was how poor their evidence was.  Just about every single witness the state called, ended up being a positive witness for the defense. 

This case would never have been news if not for the WHITE-hispanic nonsense.  A black teenager Trayvon's age, named Darryl Green was just found this week on a stairwell in Chicago after being shot to death.  His relatives suggest he wouldn't join a gang.  It will be news for about 10 minutes, if that. 

Ice Cube said something about this way back in the 80's.  That's where you'll find the real racial story.  In case you weren't around for NWA's hayday, I'll help you out..."When something happens in South Central Los Angeles, nothin happens. It’s just another n**** dead."

That's the real fucking tragedy.  To the tune of 7,000 or so a year. 

If anything, this case just goes to show how little we as a society value each other's lives.  Zimmerman thought so little of Trayvon that he pumped a bullet in the guy's chest.  The media used Trayvon as a rallying point/martyr/damning proof of once again how the 'thug life' claims 'those kids.'  We don't stop to think of the other kids who get killed on filmsy pretense.  And we'll move on from this in a few days.  Bottom line, folks--we have no fucks to give beyond ourselves and those close to us.  And if anyone is surprised by that, then you haven't been paying attention to the world around you.

I'm not saying that humanity is hopeless and doomed.  I don't think that.  I see plenty of good things to suggest otherwise.  But we need to recognize the monster that lives in each of us and try to kill the rank bastards.

A few points:1) We need smart and reasonable people on juries. It's one of the greatest rights we have in the Constitution. Yet a lot of smart, educated people capable of interpreting legal statutes correctly do whatever they can to escape a jury pool. So, hopefully more people outraged about this verdict (I'm one of them) realize the importance of being on a jury and don't come up w/ lame excuses as to why they can't sit on one.

2) Social media has brought down despotic regimes in the Middle East. Americans organized to a crazy extent in the beginning of the 20th Century to ban alcohol -- think about that for a second, consider how much drinking is ingrained in our way of life. There's a way to tie in social media and things like gun control or misguided stand-down laws taken care of.

Anyone smart and reasonable will easily find their way out of jury duty.

Yeah, which is the worst.I got selected for a capital murder case. The amount of people getting out of it was sickening. I actually was thanked by the judge for saying that I'm an objective person.

I had a response to someones post but actually this article sums it up better than I can. When stuff like this gets the same reaction as Sandy Hook maybe we can actually start moving towards fixing things.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2013/02/11/dewayne-wickham-on-blacks-and-gun-violence/1906819/

The number of African-American children killed by gunfire is a pandemic.

Posted Image

(Photo: Nam Y. Huh, AP)

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • First lady attended funeral of majorette killed in Chicago in apparent gang rivalry.
  • The leading cause of death for black males 15-19 in 2008 and 2009 came from the barrel of a gun.
  • This is not the problem of the black community, but of all Americans.

SHARECONNECT 52TWEETCOMMENTEMAILMORE

On the same day Academy Award-winning actorJamie Foxx was in Miami for a march in remembrance of the senseless killing of a 17-year-old Florida boy, first lady Michelle Obama went to Chicago to attend the funeral of a 15-year-old girlwhose slaying also tests this nation's sobriety.

Only a nation impaired by selfish individualism can long ignore the bloody carnage that links Trayvon Martin to Hadiya Pendleton.

Martin was killed a year ago as he walked the streets of a gated community in Sanford, Fla., with the hood of his sweatshirt pulled over his head during a light rain. George Zimmerman, a self-appointed neighborhood watchman who was armed with a 9-mm handgun, thought the black teenager looked suspicious and followed him. During a brief struggle, Zimmerman pumped a single bullet into Martin's chest.

Pendleton -- a high school majorette -- was shot in the back while standing in a neighborhood park just a mile from President Obama's Chicago home. Her death came a week after she had gone to Washington to march in the reelected president's inaugural parade. Her killer, who is thought to have mistaken Pendleton for a member of a rival gang, has not been captured.

The killing of young blacks is an American pandemic.

In 2011, the last year for which the FBI has complete data, 1,668 blacks under the age of 22 were killed in this country. That's more than triple the469 American servicemen and women killed in Afghanistan that year. An average of eight children was killed each day in 2011 -- and half of them were black -- according to theChildren's Defense Fund.

In 2008 and 2009, black children and teenagers were just 15% of the nation's population but 45% of young people killed by guns. If that doesn't cause a churning in your gut, maybe this will: The leading cause of death for black males ages 15-19 in those years came from the barrel of a gun. Blacks in this age group were eight times more likely than whites and two-and-a-half times more likely than Hispanics to be killed by gunfire, the Children's Defense Fund said in "Protect Children, Not Guns," a 2012 report on effects of gun violence on this nation's children.

Even more shocking, the Washington-based children's advocacy group said, the number of black children killed by gunfire since 1979 is nearly 13 times more than the number of blacks who were lynched in this country between 1882 and 1968.

In Chicago alone, more than 270 children have been killed since 2007. And most of them were killed by other blacks, as are most of the nation's homicide victims. But the responsibility for this violence -- and the obligation to do something about it -- belongs to all of us.

This slaughter is also the fault of those who think more prisons, not better schools, is the answer to youth violence. It stains the hands of those who oppose efforts to keep weapons meant for war from being sold as freely as a loaf of bread. It is inextricably tied to the members of Congress who kowtow to the National Rifle Association even as the epidemic of school shootings prove that there is no haven of any of our children from the unchecked gun violence that was once seen as largely a fixture of America's black ghettos.

While young blacks are now disproportionately the victims of gun violence, this bloodshed is a cancer that -- if left unchecked -- will spread to the cul-de-sacs and bedroom communities into which those who think this is not their problem have retreated.

DeWayne Wickham writes on Tuesdays for USA TODAY.

In addition to its own editorials, USA TODAY publishes diverse opinions from outside writers, including our Board of Contributors.

SHARECONNECT 52TWEETCOMMENTEMAIL

Zimmerman's best friend Frank has made countless racially insensitive remarks. His brother has made racially insensitive remarks. He has called the police on numerous black males in the neighborhood. Yes, I do realize there was a black male who committed some robberies. He referred to Trayvon as a "fucking punk" and said "these assholes always get away." I could see how someone would say those are ridiculous remarks to make about someone you do not know. It's not a huge leap to make to say that he is potentially a racist.

Do I believe he is a racist? Possibly. I'm not going to say it's insane to believe he is. Why did he pick Trayvon to follow? Even the lead detective himself said that he would not have stopped Trayvon. I do wonder what it was about Trayvon that he thought was so suspicious.

Zimmerman's best friend Frank has made countless racially insensitive remarks. His brother has made racially insensitive remarks. He has called the police on numerous black males in the neighborhood. Yes, I do realize there was a black male who committed some robberies. He referred to Trayvon as a "fucking punk" and said "these assholes always get away." I could see how someone would say those are ridiculous remarks to make about someone you do not know. It's not a huge leap to make to say that he is potentially a racist.

Do I believe he is a racist? Possibly. I'm not going to say it's insane to believe he is. Why did he pick Trayvon to follow? Even the lead detective himself said that he would not have stopped Trayvon. I do wonder what it was about Trayvon that he thought was so suspicious.

I don't know.  Seems like the guy thought a lot of things were suspicious considering his history of calling 911 on people and situations.  How many times have you called 911? Probably not as many as that guy.  It's safe to say he's a person of poor judgement.  It is a leap to say he's a racist based on everything presented.  Prejudice? For sure.  

Ugh.  Just, ugh.

Juror B37 hates the media and thinks all reporting is biased. She doesn’t listen to the radio or read the Internet but rather gets all her news from the Today show. She also repeatedly referred to the riots that broke out in Sanford after Martin was killed. Of course, there were no riots after Martin was killed.

In other words, juror B37 is not only ignorant but militantly ignorant.

As for Martin’s death she called it “an unfortunate incident that happened” and referred to him as a “boy of color”, though it’s not clear that this wasn’t an admittedly clumsy way to use the ‘person of color’ formulation rather than some hint of racial bias.

• Like 1

B37 is  planning to write a book about her time as a juror.  Excuse my language, but f**k that heifer and her mentality.  Then again, she risks having her real name being discovered if she goes through with her attention whore ways and all the baggage that comes with it.  She may be in over her head.  No better for her.

• Like 1

I have watched as the drug war in this country destroys families.

It's certainly frustrating how people get hooked on drugs and steal from their own friends and families and steal and murder to feed their habit. We just gotta keep hitting at these scumbag drug dealers and smugglers and keep fighting the good fight against the poison they sell which is ruining our country.

Although that's really not what this thread is about though, sorry.

I'm not gonna read nine goddamn pages about this, but this last page makes it look like this place is refreshingly sane about this issue.  A grown man profiled, stalked, and killed an innocent unarmed kid, period.  I've actually blocked two or three people on Facebook for saying incredibly offensive shit about this case.  Some of the lies aren't just insulting in their attitude, but insulting in their deliberate ignorance of the facts: which conservative talking-head started this omnipresent meme about Trayvon weighing 220 pounds and being a gang member?  

It's certainly frustrating how people get hooked on drugs and steal from their own friends and families and steal and murder to feed their habit. We just gotta keep hitting at these scumbag drug dealers and smugglers and keep fighting the good fight against the poison they sell which is ruining our country.

Or we could just decriminalize the weaker drugs and only keep enforcing on the real hardcore shit like meth, heroin, and crack.  It worked marvelously well for Portugal when they did it a few years ago, there's been absolutely no rise in crime rates.  As we found out during the 1920s after the Volstead Act, prohibition doesn't stop drug users; it only creates a criminal underclass of drug cartels.  

(BTW, I love how the new software puts the entire quote box right in the quick-reply, rather than fucking around with board code.)